“Country Inn, with aspirations beyond its presnt capability.”

The Crown Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 High Newton B&B and Inns
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Country Inn, with aspirations beyond its presnt capability.”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Recently stayed for one night with evening dinner. The young lady who booked us in was very friendly and helped us to the room with our bags, a nice touch!.
The bedroom was modern (recently refurbished) with all the amenities you would expect, however the heating appeared to be inoperative rendering the room unacceptably cold. After reporting this to a member of staff who appeared to be in charge, the heating was turned on, but only appeared to work spasmodically throughout the night.
The menu was restricted with only pub grub on offer. The specials board exhibited only one 'special', a venison burger!. The written preamble in relation to the catering capabilities of the chef certainly did not meet expectation, although there was nothing wrong with the food, it was over priced, average in nature and choice.

Room Tip: Specify a room away from over the bar, as it can get noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Anonymous186332

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Myself and my partner stayed at the hotel for a long weekend and found the place exceptionaly welcoming, the staff were friendly and attentive and the food was amazing, there always seemed to be some sort of social activity at night as well, such as..pub quiz, open mic night etc.
We had went into town for a few drinks and returned back just after 9pm, the staff were more than happy to place our order of food for us and they were very empathatic to me when my partner spent most of the night singing on the open mic night..haha..
Overall the rooms were nice and clean, the staff were friendly and the chef was talented,
Myself and my partner will definately be coming back some time soon..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank deanie186338
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Had a great meal here last night whilst on our Classic Car Lakes Run, good pub grub and very friendly staff and good banter behind the bar. We didn't stay her but would consider it in the future, Good menu choice and some specials!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Deepest Sussex
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The Crown is a lovely looking building, set on a corner in the middle of High Newton. Well placed for good walks and exploring the Southern Lake district. Inside, the bar area opens out to a large dining room, both are very welcoming. Our room was smallish but very attractive. The proprietor pointed out to us that one of the bathroom lights wasn't working, this made the bathroom very dark, so I hope it has been fixed by now. The evening meal was fine, standard gastro pub fare nothing exceptional and the service was ok. There was an 'open mike' evening in the bar and our host seems very involved with this. We were surprised when four hungry cyclists were turned away on the stroke of 9.00pm and not offered any food except crisps, hope they afford to do this on a cold end of January evening. There was certainly no shortage of staff to make them a quick toastie or plate of chips. Next morning the dining room was like the Marie Celeste, so we helped ourselves to the limited range of cereal and juice. The proprietor appeared and we were offered 'Full English' which was fine, but no extra toast or spreads. We felt it was a bit 'take it or leave it'. We both left feeling it was alright, but there was a lack of interest in the bed and breakfast side of the business in favour of the bar and entertainment. There was no attempt to find out if we enjoyed the stay and my husband was miffed that when we left with heavy suitcases, it appeared to be too much trouble to even hold the door open for us. The Lake District is awash with great accomodation so we will not be going to The Crown on any future visit. We do hope they make a success of the business but think that the host and, especially, the hostess need to make B&B guests feel more welcome, and better served.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank gingerpip
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012

During a week long course in Cumbria, I discovered the Crown Inn whilst exploring the local area. And what a discovery it was! To start, the pub had a lovely ambience and was full of locals who were happy to sit and chat with you. The staff were immensely friendly and chatty and always made you feel welcome. The owners just as much so, they were a lovely Scottish couple who stayed to chat with me on more than one occassion. The landlord was hilarious.
There was a great selection of alcohol with a number of real ales on tap, all superbly kept. As I had no evening meals where I was staying, I stayed to eat every night, and with good reason! The food was incredible, everything I had on the menu, (which wasn't too big as to be overwhelming), was absoloutley superb. The landlord and chef has history in Michelin star kitchens and it showed. But don't expect any minimalistic portions, the meals are hearty and you will always leave feeling full and satisfied. Though I never stayed in a room, I was told by a few couples that the rooms were lovely and were beautifully kept.
All in all I'd have to say it is probably the best pub I have ever been in, (and I should know I was in there every night for far too long!), and I would recommend it to anyone ever visiting the Lake District. I will definitely be returning to the beautiful area and The Crown is near the top of my list to visit!

As a side note, I was made aware of a few professional con artists and swindlers on my stay there. To these types of people I would urge you to not try your luck, as the landlord is not very partaking of such individuals.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Just got back from a wonderful stay here, it was exactly as we wanted and expected, a lovely country pub full of charm and character with updated trendy rooms! Didn't need to worry about where to go or what to do once we arrived as it has everything, country pub where you can mix with locals or residents, lovely restaurant with a laid back attitude and brilliant hosts who made us so comfortable we ended up having a drink and a laugh with at the night! Breakfast was the best ever, all in all would highly recommend and we will definitely be returning in the future, even if it's just for a drive out and a meal sometime :)

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Traceyjlashbrook
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Six of us (all adults) stayed at The Crown for one night. Very well located for getting out and about in the South Lakes & close to the motorway.

We arrived early to allow us to spend as much time as possible in the area and it would have been nice to have had a coffee after our journey, but were unable to do so until the pub opening time. The staff were busy with cleaning the rooms & the bar.

All of our rooms were very nicely decorated with lovely furniture but short of hanging space. This was fine for us but for a longer stay could be a little inconvenient. (One room had 6 hangars on 2 pegs, whilst another one had nowhere to hang clothes.) As it is a very old building the rooms are not spacious (It is a 17th Century Coaching Inn) All had flat screen tvs & tea/coffee making facilities.
The bathrooms all had showers, but no baths.

We had dinner in the restaurant where the food is locally sourced. We all chose a different main course & all were delicious & perfectly cooked. We also had a cooked breakfast, again with locally sourced produce, which was also excellent, especially the local sausages.
At times, it seemed a little bit disorganised, but the staff were very friendly & the food excellent.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there.
I would definitely recommend this accommodation for a short stay.

Room Tip: Two of our rooms (I think they were 2 & 3) were slightly larger than the other (7)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 2 in Cartmel
Grange Hotel
Grange Hotel
#2 of 10 in Grange-over-Sands

Been to The Crown Country Inn? Share your experiences!