“Good size and cosy but needs TLC...”
other travelers have booked this property
Front door full picture Living Room
Double bedroom
Second Bedroom
Second Bedroom
Bathroom
Village view from the cliff
Limpet ring
Houses at the Dock
Robin Hoods Bay from the beach
Whitby Abbey
View of the Bay from inland
Prize winning ram at Egton agricultural show 2013
Sandcastle and view to Ravenscar
Recent visitor comments
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available
Overview
Cottage -
2 Bedrooms, 1 Bathroom, Sleeps 6
Fylingthorpe, Robin Hoods Bay, North York Moors National Park, North Yorkshire, England

Reviews from our community

Very good - based on 33 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
FiFiRose
York, United Kingdom
“Charming cottage, but mind your head upstairs!”
Reviewed April 17, 2016 for a stay in April 2016

We ended up being poorly on our break in the cottage, so that was unfortunate and meant we didn't really enjoy the break. However, that aside, the cottage is lovely and is 2mins from the beach, so close you can hear the waves at night! The cottage was very, very cold, especially at night, the weather was cold though so this may explain it.
You must be a fan of hills and steps to stay in the cottage, and at RHB, the cottage is half way up a very steep hill, in a maze of similar cottages. This does make for a slight challenge to find the property, make sure you have the strength to lug your luggage from the car up or down a number of steep steps!!
We would've liked to know that there was bedding at the cottage, in amenities it just states 'linens'... There are also a number of condiments, herbs and spices in cupboards :)

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Apr 19, 2016
Thank you for taking the time to review . I am sorry about the cold, the cottage normally heats up and holds its heat well so I am surprised but will note getting the heat on earlier and I will amend the listing if it is not clear that everything is provided. The nature of Robin Hoods Bay means that all the cottages are set into the steep hillside amongst a maze of steps and alleys. This is what gives it its unique charm. Coach House Cottage is set just off and above the main road so certainly not as hard to find as some but again I will look at the directions I send out and see if I can make it clearer.
Allison D
Bradford
“Good size and cosy but needs TLC...”
Reviewed April 4, 2016 for a stay in March 2016
people found this review helpful

My husband and I stayed here in the Easter holidays with our two young children 7&3. The cottage is located very very near to the bay and the sea and the small choice of shops and pubs. The cottage had everything you could need (except a microwave!) and was nicely presented. The kitchen was a lovely size and the wood burner and open fire great for cosy nights in.
The views were not great out of the windows (the run down back side of The Dolphin Pub) but if you stretch your neck you can see the sea from the front nearer bedroom window.
No outside space with the cottage so indoors only if you are not out and about in the little streets.
The bedrooms were a good size, and the bathroom sizeable enough however a bad scum line around the bath (a small slipper bath, I'm only 5'7 and my legs were hung over the end!) so the cleaner needs to be more thorough.
The bedrooms are in the loft space and the main bedroom has a door into a cupboard containing the water tank which was very noisy. The windows in the bedrooms and most of the cottage look like the originals and are pretty useless giving a noisy cold wet draft and therefore in the bedrooms wet windows and mouldy curtains ...but the rooms were warm with all of the heating on.
The mattresses on the single beds looked very old and were crumpled and saggy, and the pillows old and yellowed.
The hot water was odd, as there was a boost button in the kitchen and the wood burner in the kitchen has a back boiler but it was not very clear., however on our first night we didn't have hot water. Not good with little,children.
There isn't any central heating in the cottage so the main heat after/and/or the fire and wood burner have burnt out is electric oil heaters. My little 3 year old and my husband both burnt theirselves on the heater in the lounge which was not good, especially for my 3 year old.
Also no WIFI in the bay.

Overall a lovely cottage but a lot of TLC needed, more cleaning and less clutter, and overpriced.

Traveling group: Young Children
Apr 5, 2016
Thank you for taking the time to review so comprehensively. This is our family holiday cottage and run as such. Every year we take on something new to update. We have just done the kitchen which is still taking some getting used to. Last year the mattress in the double room was replaced and it is the turn of the singles this year. Instructions for the emersion switch are in the the cottage instructions but perhaps I need to stick a sign next to the switch on the wall and I will pass on the cleaning complaint. I only hope you managed a good holiday despite all this, Our family holidays with children have always been lovely.
bdavies44...
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Perfect seaside hideaway”
Reviewed March 1, 2016 for a stay in February 2016
person found this review helpful

This was a beautifully equipped accommodation. Me and my friends loved staying here, the rooms all had a very welcoming and quaint feel, you can tell the place has history and has been well looked after, without being outdated. We'd even go so far as to say the pictures don't do it justice!

The location is great, right near the Sea, central to Robin Hood's Bay. The locals all seemed very friendly, we could have happily stayed there for weeks. The one thing we had trouble with, was we found the hob was tricky to use, it would have been handy to have a little bit more instruction, as we found it kept turning itself off, but we manged fine!

The steep steps and sharp corner to get to the front door unfortunately wouldn't be suitable for wheelchair users, and might be a little tricky for families with little ones and prams etc, but otherwise, I'd highly recommend this property if you want to feel nestled in the heart and soul of Robin Hoods Bay :)

Liked best: Decor and location
Liked least: The hob was tricky to use and there was no Wi-Fi, but for a weekend getaway we didn't mind
Traveling group: Friends
Friends getaway
Apr 5, 2016
Thank You for the great review. And you're right the cottage is not any good for wheel chair users and if you bring a pram to RHB then choose your cottage carefully.
Kevwan
London
“Great little place!”
Reviewed February 10, 2016 for a stay in February 2016
person found this review helpful

I stayed in Feb with my wife and some friends. We all really loved this cute little fisherman's cottage right in the centre of the beautiful lower Robin Hood's Bay.

The weather wasn't great when we went so we spent a fair bit of time in front of the fire playing board games - which was great.

The beds were comfy, the decoration was tasteful.

My only criticism is a minor one and it is that the water heating was a little bit confusing and some instructions on how it works would have been much appreciated.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Decoration and cuteness!
Liked least: Water heating
Traveling group: Friends
Your age range 25-34
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
Apr 5, 2016
Thank you. Note taken on the hot water heater.
Val m
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Cosy, convenient and very well equiped.”
Reviewed September 17, 2015 for a stay in September 2015
person found this review helpful

Our host had thought of everything and we felt totally at home at Coach House Cottage. The car park was very convenient for the cottage. There were plenty of maps and booklets giving information on place to visit. We went on several lovely walks and were able to make up picnics thanks to having such a well equipped kitchen. Anyone with small children would find all the books and games a real bonus.

Liked best: Location
Liked least: Matress
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
People with pets
Apr 5, 2016
Thank you for the lovely review. I am glad you had a good holiday
spookytoo...
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“really needs tlc”
Reviewed August 29, 2015 for a stay in May 2015
person found this review helpful

I have no issue with quaint and quirky but I draw the line at completely worn out.
The kitchen really needs replacing as even scrubbing leaves it looking dirty.
Some aspects of the cottage are lovely but others aren't character , they are just old and not in a good way. The dripping water tank in the bedroom drove me nuts! Bring earplugs! The mattress needs replacing as it was so uncomfortable.
I
Loved the village and the area. Please update this cottage sympathetically as it really isn't worth the price!I love character cottages and despise it when everything is ripped out but good maintenance is a must!!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: wood burning stove
Liked least: dirty clapped out kitchen!
Traveling group: Other
Friends getaway People with pets
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Sep 4, 2015
I am sorry, You got the cottage at the end of a long season or two. We have a new kitchen scheduled for October, which is good news.
Marystone
Matlock, United Kingdom
“Shabby n chic-less”
Reviewed July 8, 2015 for a stay in June 2015
people found this review helpful

I booked the coach house cottage on the strength of the other reviews, which give it 5 stars. I'm not sure how the other guests arrive at 5 stars, makes me wonder how other people live! The house is not at all comfortable in any way shape or form. The kitchen was functional, no microwave, although that was the least of our worries. The cleanliness of the coach house cottage leaves a lot to be desired. The kitchen sink taps stand on a plinth of wood, which looks like it's never been cleaned, God only knows what germs live there! The cleaners arrived on the morning we were leaving and said they would not stay there! If only we had known this beforehand. There is a comments book in the kitchen, with pages ripped out, the only comments in the book are really good ones, and there appears to be numerous comments in the same handwriting! I feel as though I have been duped into believing the coach house cottage is a family friendly retreat. In my initial enquiry about the coach house cottage,I detailed the age of my children, one age 2 years and one at 5 months. Firstly, the house is set back from the road and up a lot of steps,my husband and I had to carry both our children up. No way could we have got the pram or pushchair up to the house, unless we were willing to carry them! Hannah, the owner, didn't email me the information required until the day of our arrival at coach house cottage, and that was only after I rang her to find out about where to get the key from. There is no wifi at the coach house, and,in the information email, which I still have, guests are advised to piggy back off other wifi in robin hoods bay, namely the dolphin! I wonder if the dolphin are aware!!! The shower was dreadful, you can't stand up to shower and the hot water is unbearably hot, whilst the cold water shoots out with such force it nearly knocks you backwards! Overall a complete shambles, and at a cost of over £250 for two nights. Never again.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Traveling group: Young Children
Jul 13, 2015
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at Coach House Cottage. We are happy to come to an agreement re. a refund if you would like to contact me. But I assure you are our first bad review we have never falsified them. Most people find our cottage warm comfortable and family friendly. We have brought up 4 children ourselves from babies with Coach House Cottage as their holiday home. We don’t consider it difficult just perhaps different! But neither would we assume to bring a pram on a seaside, beach holiday. I do wonder if you were aware of the nature and age of the village and the cottages before you choose Robin Hoods Bay. It is the quaint nature of the place that brings most people here but also that nature that makes some mod cons eg. Wifi and walkin showers difficult to provide.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing
;