“Mostly good”

Ranked #1 of 3 Sticklepath B&B and Inns
Worcester
“Mostly good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

We spent a very cosy night in this hotel. The beds were excellent and there was a good range of drinks in the room. It would have been good if there had been an extra suitcase stand, since the room was a double. Also I would have liked somewhere to put the soap down in the shower - both soap holders were on the opposite side of the room, beside the basin, where they seemed redundant!

Room Tip: Go for an upstairs room. If you are downstairs, you risk being disturbed by the creaking floor above...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at Cedars Inn, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. We have recently improved our offer of soaps in the rooms, I will ask the maintenance man to install soap trays in the showers. Kind regards Peter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Frome, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

Disappointing.
It did what “it said on the tin”; but turned out to be “Dull Matt” rather than “Brilliant Gloss”.
We had visited under the terms of a promotional offer and logically expected attempts to be made to impress us to come again at normal rates. We were not impressed and will not come again – so the promotion is wasted.
First impressions are of a shabby building with unmanaged gardens.
A bright reception would have helped, but this was not to be so. A sullen mechanical registration without feeling or warmth. We speculated if we were deliberately being relegated as second-class because of the low promotional rates being charged. We asked for 7.00am Wake Up Calls – but nothing happened. Advertised “Free Hi Fi facilities” were not available. The departure and settlement of Bill was no better. No interest in customer satisfaction at all.
The accommodation is situated in a separate quadrangle of two storey apartments. Access is via poorly lit and heavily stepped approaches, covered by puddles and wet leaves, which was difficult and dangerous for a couple in their mid-seventies. To be allocated a first floor apartment with a extremely steep climb of stairs was thoughtless.
The room and bathroom were clean - but tired. Pillows were very hard and not fit for purpose. The operation of the shower was difficult for someone with arthritic hands. Lighting was dull. Radiators – noisy.
Service in the almost empty cold restaurant was very slow and inadequate. 20 minutes wait for a drink; and we were then –after another five minutes - advised that our order for “Large” fish was not available (we had not ordered it!); and that only “Small” fish was available (which is what we had originally ordered). Eventually served 45 minutes after ordering. Food “Flavourless & stodgy”. Breakfast seemed brighter but - Eggs Benedict is served without Ham.
No better the second night. No chicken breast available and then 45 minutes wait for standard items from the Promotional Menu. Two mistakes in the bill.
A dream Marketing Opportunity but lacks adequate checks on fulfilment.
Good points - abundant hot water, naturally courteous and friendly cleaning/ maintenance team, and the promotional price.
The massive Time-Rich and relatively affluent Oldie Market is crying out for an Hotelier willing to provide value for money comfortable accommodation for short term off peak bookings. We have tried many and have yet to find one to fill the niche. When will someone do it? 100% occupation could be assured.
Suggest their Directors should stay a couple of nights– as we did – and then cry about lost profits.

Room Tip: First floor rooms via extremely steep stairs - unsuitable for the elderly Access via stepped patio...
4 Thank Aubrey C
I welcome your feedback on your stay with us at Cedars Inn. I am very sorry to see that you did not enjoy your stay and that we did not deliver to out normal high standards. It is good to recieve feedback both posative and constructive, as this assists us in making improvements. We have put in place a program to replace all our pillows, Gardens are continiously being maintained. I am getting our phone provider top look at why your phone did not ring at the time it was set for. With refference to our food, every product is cooked to order and takes a little longer than other fast food outlets who mass produce and hot hold items.
If you prefer to stay on the ground floor, it is always advisable to talk directly with the Hotel, so we can ensure your requests are implemented.
Kind regards

Peter

Travelers are raving about these Sticklepath hotels

Mosta, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

My wife, daughter and myself spent 3 nights here, starting November 29th 2013. We had a great time. Any trivial shortcomings were more than made up for by the beauty of the surrounds, the unusually good bar (decent ale is hard to find in hotels but the Abbot and the Speckled Hen are highly recommended), very good value dining, hearty wine list, good-sized rooms and, especially, the highly capable staff. Our special mention, however, goes to ERIC the waiter for outstandingly friendly and efficient service - Eric, you are great. Never change.
Ivan Padovani (Malta)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at Cedars Inn, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Cedars. Eric has been with us for many years and he is plays a very big role with all our guests - they all love him to bits ! I will pass on your comments to the team and especialy Eric. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards Peter Elder. General Manager.
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

just had a three night break at the cedars its a lovely old building very warm and welcoming,we stayed in rm 14,it was clean,cosy lovely and warm,only one minor fault was some mould in the bathroom.breakfast was suburb,lovely cooked food and nice and hot.we also had dinner on two nights,which I can not fault,even on the Friday night they had a big function on and carol singers in the bar but the food was so good,i had the lamb shank its the best iv ever had.just one little fault I know it was busy but we ordered a glass of white wine,but had to ask again after 20 mins,when we got it ,it was very warm.all the staff are so polite,cheerfull and happy,and very good at there jobs,a big thankyou to you all for making our stay great.and even father Christmas was there.!!def be going again .

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to say a big thank you for your review on your stay with us at the Cedars. It is a pleasure to see you enjoyed your stay and that the team delivered on service and food quality. I will print your comments and put them on the team notice board so they can all see how much you enjoyed your stay. many thanks Peter Elder General Manager.
Staffordshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

I booked the Cedars via Traditional Inns and judging by the photos this looked perfect for a cosy few days away. The offer we bought was for a " Superior room " On arrival itlooked very impressive with a long winding path and beautiful exterior full of charm. I couldn't wait to get to our " superior room ". The rooms are motel style , we found our room and on entering was hit by he most heavy nauseating smell of cheap canned air freshener, apart from the air freshener there was a smell of damp which I think the air freshener was supposed to hide. Some of the tiles in the bathroom were chipped with dirty grouting and the corners of the shower tray were black. I complained and was given the keys to another room which was worse , the cleaners had just left but mirrors filthy, this time the receptionist returned to the room with me and had to agree with my concerns. I suggested maybe a room inside the hotel might not smell of damp but was told that they were full and anyway " we use the same air freshener in all out rooms". I am not a fussy person but I was unable to stay the odour was so bad. We ended up looking for alternative accommodation at a cost . If you like the damp motel experience then this is for you otherwise do not be tempted by special offers and " superior rooms " it was ,for us, a false economy as we ended up out of pocket.

Room Tip: Rooms inside the hotel may be better
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ppandmp2
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at Cedars Inn, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
I would like to thank you for your review. I am not sure were you booked your room from, but we are not part of Traditional Inns and Cedars only has one Superior room available on all our booking sites - this is also not offered on any promotional rate. I am sorry to see that you did not stay with us on this occasion. Peter Elder General Manager.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Just one night on business but food really poor with two meals not available menu due to non delivery? Then had steak with cold mash potato and a few peas Next morning some of breakfast not available due to non delivery? Rooms like 60 s butlins with stains on carpets and general air of shabby but no chic

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Chappelll
Thank you for your comments. This was an isolated incident with refference to the out of stock food. Some products were unavailable due to a delivery vehicle breakdown and a delay in getting the fresh procuce. I am sorry that we were not able to offer 100% of our menu when you visited us. Kind regards
Peter Elder General Manager
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

I recently booked the Cedars with my family as a function room for a funeral. I am so impressed, our day couldn't have gone any smoother. The room hire cost was extremely good value for money & the room was decorated perfectly. They also supplied us with a projector and CD player for no extra cost.

The buffet food was spot on & we also stayed in the evening for a meal in the conservatory which was lovely too. The staff are all very polite, if a little young.

The rooms are of an exceptional standard for the price, we paid £45 for a double room for two people which was clean, lovely fresh linen, large bed, lovely bathroom. Even one of my family members booked a room last minute on the night and the tariff was still at £45. I do believe the tariff fluctuates occasionally but this is all decided on their booking system rather than the staff themselves. I went in the courtyard rooms some of my family had booked and I really do not see where all these fussy reviews have come from. Pay no attention! These rooms are lovely. Set out in a Butlins-esque village area, they are cosy and spacious.

All in all I was concerned about the event being ruined after reading so many bad reviews but I believe the new management team have done a wonderful job. The hotel/restaurant is decorated to be comfortable yet modern and it a perfect place to stay or even have a meal. Very impressed and so glad that our funeral was helped to be as pleasant as possible by The Cedars.

Value for money...urm YES!

Room Tip: The rooms inside the main building (only two) are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at Cedars Inn, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
I would personally like to thank you for reviewing your stay with us at Cedars, My team work extreemly hard to ensure every guest enjoys visiting us no matter what the reason. As you have said the rooms are clean and good value for money. I have passed on your comments to the team. Once again thank you for your review. Peter Elder General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sticklepath
Barnstaple Hotel
Premier Inn Barnstaple Hotel
Hoops Inn
Hoops Inn
#1 of 12 in Bideford

Been to Cedars Inn? Share your experiences!