“Couldn't have asked for more.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cedars Inn

Cedars Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Sticklepath B&B and Inns
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“Couldn't have asked for more.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

I recently booked the Cedars with my family as a function room for a funeral. I am so impressed, our day couldn't have gone any smoother. The room hire cost was extremely good value for money & the room was decorated perfectly. They also supplied us with a projector and CD player for no extra cost.

The buffet food was spot on & we also stayed in the evening for a meal in the conservatory which was lovely too. The staff are all very polite, if a little young.

The rooms are of an exceptional standard for the price, we paid £45 for a double room for two people which was clean, lovely fresh linen, large bed, lovely bathroom. Even one of my family members booked a room last minute on the night and the tariff was still at £45. I do believe the tariff fluctuates occasionally but this is all decided on their booking system rather than the staff themselves. I went in the courtyard rooms some of my family had booked and I really do not see where all these fussy reviews have come from. Pay no attention! These rooms are lovely. Set out in a Butlins-esque village area, they are cosy and spacious.

All in all I was concerned about the event being ruined after reading so many bad reviews but I believe the new management team have done a wonderful job. The hotel/restaurant is decorated to be comfortable yet modern and it a perfect place to stay or even have a meal. Very impressed and so glad that our funeral was helped to be as pleasant as possible by The Cedars.

Value for money...urm YES!

Room Tip: The rooms inside the main building (only two) are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at Cedars Inn, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
I would personally like to thank you for reviewing your stay with us at Cedars, My team work extreemly hard to ensure every guest enjoys visiting us no matter what the reason. As you have said the rooms are clean and good value for money. I have passed on your comments to the team. Once again thank you for your review. Peter Elder General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Mondsee, Austria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

4 of us who own and work for a golf travel company from Austria decided to stay at cedars for a few days with a view of using it as a base for our south west clients. We liked the rooms and the food was ok but we were told on arrival that on our last day,due to an early flight, there would be someone at 6oclock in the morning to prepare a very small breakfast. There wasnt anyone around so we left at 6.15. Not good enough.
The manager of the restuarant on the monday and Tuesday was very rude and basically because of him we wont be using this hotel as a client base for the season 2014

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Cedars. The night receptionist was available for early breakfast on your last day as arranged and light breakfast items were all set for you, I am sorry you could not locate him,, but had you rung the buzzer he would have come to reception, as he was in the function room setting up the days meeting rooms. The Cedars is used weekly for golf tours and has some very good feedback, I am sorry that you felt you did not recieve this high standard of service on your stay. Kind regards Peter Elder General Manager
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Lovely place, looks better in the flesh when you arrive and see the lovely main building. The bar and restaurant areas inside have a nice modern feel to them. We stayed a friday and saturday night and it did get nice and busy at times at the bar and in the restaurant, but the staff seemed to handle it all very well. I stayed with a friend and we thought the food was excellent, I had chicken fajitas which were absolutely scrummy! I may have to go back just to have them again! Bar staff were really friendly and polite and so were the waitresses that spoke to us. I took my little dog with me and they were sweet to him, giving him a pet and being very friendly. it was great that my dog could stay within the bar area, and fair not to have him in the restaurant of course - which showed good hygiene to me. The chap managing the bar/restaurant was very efficient (think he was a manager?), friendly and helpful, always checking up to see if everything was ok and if we needed anything, a very nice touch indeed! We stayed in room no 25 which was in another little area away from the main bar and restaurant. I said to my friend I felt like we were staying in a little resort or log cabin... it was a really lovely room, lovely and clean, had a small flat screen tv up on the wall, tea/coffee etc making facilities, nice hot shower, clean bathroom (with bath). The cleaner came in the next day and spruced the room up which was nice and changed the towels, they obviously like to keep on top of things, it felt very clean and tidy which is always important to me! Breakfast was lovely! we really enjoyed it and the guy who was serving breakfast was a nice friendly chap eager to please us and everyone else, he was very efficient and topped up our tea etc.

Overall - I would definitely stay here again, we were really impressed with the staff who all seemed very happy to help, very friendly and very pleasant people. The food was lovely and so was the ambiance for us. Location was great too... just a small walk and you can catch a bus into town. A big thank you to all the staff at Cedars, and I hope to stay with you again. Zoe :O)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
A big thank you for your review on your stay at Cedars, it is always nice to get fantastic reviews. The team work so hard to deliver a great guest experiance. I will pass on your comments to the team. Kind regards and we look forward to seeing you again in the future. Peter Elder General Manager
Towcester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

We,ve just returned from an overnight stay at the Cedars and I cannot give too much praise. The rooms were spacious with comfy beds and a good power shower in the en-suite. There was a good choice of meals and wines for dinner and a similar excellent choice for breakfast. When I settled the bill I was delighted with the value for money that this hotel offered

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at Cedars Inn, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Cedars. I will ensure I pass on your lovely comments to my team. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards Peter Elder General Manager.
worcester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

First, I didn't pay a lot for two nights B&B for two so I didn't expect a lot however I am pleased to say my expectations were bettered during my stay. I had a phone call a couple of days before our arrival asking if we had any special requirements which was a nice touch, On arrival we were dealt with in a very friendly professional manner, we then had a minor issue with the plug in the washbasin which was promptly fixed whilst we had dinner. Dinner was very good with first class attentive service with a special mention to Adam for his very good first attempt at a calypso coffee.
Our room was warm and clean as was the bathroom, the first night was very good however as has been stated elsewhere noisy neighbours the second night proved a problem(she had a terrible cough and left a number of cigarette butts outside the door) but such is life.
Dinner the second night was once again good with good service, there was a problem with the bill but it was quickly sorted.
Breakfast was good value, freshly made and I thought was plentiful with once again good service and so to my only complaint, we had wine with both evening meals and both bottles were just plonked on the table, maybe me being pedantic but it would be a nice touch to be shown the wine and asked if we would like to taste it, I know maybe old fashioned but it is a touch I like.
To sum up you get what you pay for and I believe I got first class value and service, thank you.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review on your stay at the Cedars. I am pleased to see we delivered our normal high standards of service. I have passed your comments on to Adam and I will ensure he is rewarded for his hard work. With refference to the wine service, I have taken this point on board and will be using it as an example on our next team training day. Once again thank you for your comments. Peter Elder General Manager
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I booked very last minute and arrived shortly before check in time ended at 10pm. Reception staff were very helpful and friendly, ensuring I had all the information I needed for a comfortable stay. The room was lovely; huge comfortable bed, plenty of storage and a desk to work on with unlimited wifi available free of charge. There were several nice extra touches in the room - Devon Life magazine, the best range of complimentary drinks and biscuits that I have seen in a while and extra large towels etc. The only negative was the shower which was a tiny cubicle with no shelf, the shower enclosure seemed somewhat dated, but had a little shelf for toiletries been added, I would not have had to inspect the condition of the shower tray at such close quarters! The plumbing in the building was also very noisy and I did get woken twice in the night after other guests flushed - but I am a notoriously light sleeper.

I arrived for breakfast just as it opened, there was a nice buffet and waitress service for cooked breakfasts. Again the customer service delivered was of a very high standard, I explained that i had to be at an important meeting at 8am and only wanted saussage and egg but in a hurry, this was no problem and my cooked breakfast and tea was delivered so quickly that I arrived early for my meeting.

I booked through late rooms and thought that i got excellent value for money, the room was much nicer than I had expected after reading other reviews on tripadvisor and the customer service was fautless during my visit.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Sunnywin
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to see we delivered on our service standards. We have spent alot of time on recruiting and training and I am pleased to see this is working. Many thanks Peter Elder General Manager
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Having read the previous reviews I was worried about having booked to stay at the Cedars. Much of the negative is true. I used to live in the area and regularly visited the Cedars for conferences and events. It was then a popular and well regarded hotel. Returning to stay I can see that nothing has been done to upgrade the facilities for a generation. The hotel now looks old and in need of a total refurbishment. The outside block of bedrooms must have been built in the 1960s or 1970s and is of poor construction. The walls are so thin that every sound from adjoining rooms can be heard. But all that said, the new management are trying hard to provide a good standard of accommodation. Our room was warm and comfortable. The bed was of generous proportions and extremely comfortable. To be fair we were lucky that we did not have any noisy guests during our stay and were therefore able to sleep well. The breakfasts were good with freshly cooked meals (except for Saturday morning when the hot meals were on a hot tray and not nearly as good). The price currently charged for rooms goes a long way to reflect the negatives of the hotel. Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Cedars Inn. I wish the new management well in their attempts to upgrade the facilities: it is likely to be a long and expensive process. In the meantime I would recommend the Cedars as value for money, but don't stay here expecting four star standards.

Room Tip: The larger, superior rooms are worth the extra. When reading previous reviews I decided to upgrade a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at Cedars Inn, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you very very much for your open and honest comments with refference to Cedars, we are still one of Greene King and Old English Inn sites. As the new manager (Now 12 weeks in !) I and my team are working extreemly hard to make the business as inviting as we can. Some things are out of our control, but I can assure you I will be doing my upmost to influence a refurbishment on the Hotel. We all look forward to seeing you again in the future. Kind regards Peter and the team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sticklepath
Barnstaple Hotel
Premier Inn Barnstaple Hotel
Hoops Inn
Hoops Inn
#1 of 12 in Bideford

Been to Cedars Inn? Share your experiences!