“disappointing to say the least.”
Review of Cedars Inn

Cedars Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Sticklepath B&B and Inns
“disappointing to say the least.”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We went here for my brothers wedding, and i was extremly disappointed with the staff to start with, we were served champainge and pimms on arrival without a smile or anything just heres your drinks, there you go. Not long after arriving the bride and groom arrived and there was no congratulations or anything from the staff. The first real point that let this place down for me was the staff, none of them looked like they wanted to be there or were generally happy. Me my partner and my brother were asked to carry the bride and grooms bags up to there room, which for a start surely the hotel staff should offor to do so, anyway on our way up to the room we were shown by the wedding events orgoniser who greeted us on arrival, she still didnt seem happy, after leaving the bags we were told in a moody manor that thete was a group photo on the lawn and we needed to hurry up to go for that. We sat down for the meal in our places and there was no staff assisting people to places or anything, im not a wine drinker but that should be the first thing offered or on the table, there wasnt... as for the meal i had a chicken salad to start with i had 4 small pieces of chicken which was not enough at all, the main followed a little while later and i had the salmon and it was dry and tastless and presentation was poor also my.partner had the beef which was also tough and dry, we both had the cheesecake to follow and well tesco could have supplied better cheesecakes, its was tasteless and boring i didnt want to finish it, as for the staff they seemed to have trouble putting the plates down even though the courses were writting on the place cards infront of them! you could forgive them if they actuallied smiled and looked like they were happy, all in all would never want to come here again and if i did ide rather eat out, poor. enjoyed the wedding and evening just not the service, food or staff.

• Stayed September 2012
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Cedars Inn, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for leaving feedback regarding your recent stay at the Cedars.
I am sorry that you were disappointed with the food and service at the wedding that you attended.
The level of service and food were those as agreed with the organisers, however clearly there is no excuse for the attitude of the team which will be resolved

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
troon
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was down in Barnstaple for my friends wedding for four days. 2 of the nights i stayed in here and it was not worth the money for the rooms. The rooms was not clean cobwebs all over the room,bin had not been empted from the stay before us and the bath room had mould on the bath mat. There was also chips in the bath and the toilet had to be flushed 5 Times!! before it worked.

In the morning for breakfast After the first night the service was really bad there was not clean tables in sight and not a member of staff going about after 5 min's we found a table and it was not set properly. There was not cups on the table no sugar or butter or milk after getting a member of staffs attention we got service that we need but still not great she looked like she did not want to work there and was also grumpy. the second morning after the wedding day the service was kk but not great. there was one guy that really stood out that was working great and had a laugh with all the wedding party in the morning and happy to be there was well

Going back to the wedding the day was great for my friends and they really enjoyed it aswell. i had a good time to but there was still a down fall. the wedding co-ordinator was very disorganised with the day where things was also the service was not that great either at the table the staff did not look like they wanted to be there at all they had not intention with the Day.
the food was not great but ok the only down fall in my eyes was the veg should already be on the plate with the main not put in the middle of the table in a silver dish. over all the timing of the day needs to be looked at to. everythign was kk after that

One more thing they need to get the spider situation sorted as they was all over the place even on the wedding tables

i my self is a assistant manager in a 4 star hotel in scotland and a wedding co-ordinator and things are a lot more better organised

in my overall review they need to sort out there wedding organisation on the day and there rooms as people will not come back aswell they will pass on the message on to others

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Cedars Inn, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Firstly I would like to thank you for your feedback; the service that you refer to at the tables during the Wedding breakfast was agreed with the Bride and Groom. With reference to your comments about the bedroom, we have taken action to ensure that the bathroom issues you have raised and breakfast service you experienced will not occur in the future. We apologise if this in any way affected the Wedding party you attended.

Travelers are raving about these Sticklepath hotels

Ilfracombe
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We attended our friends' wedding here and had booked a family room for the night. The service at the tables during the meal was very average, one would expect a little more attentiveness for a wedding. Friends at our table were refused wine service and were made to get up from the meal to go to the main bar to order there wine. Working in this industry myself I find this most unacceptable. The children's meals took ages to arrive when they should have been served with our starters. The function bar was eventually opened to us but very poorly manned which resulted in most guests constantly having to go to the main bar.

We were given room 16. The room stinks of damp, the bathroom is riddled with mould which a spray of bleach and a wipe would go a long way to rectifying. The rubber may is a biohazard in itself and should have been thrown away ages ago it was so full of mould. The drain in the shower was so blocked I had to stop and start the water so it wouldn't overflow. My husband had to wait 10 minutes for the water to drain away before he could shower.

The breakfast buffet, speed of service and quality needs a major improvement. There were no teaspoons in sight, not even an offer to fetch one as my husband stirred his coffee with the wrong end of the cereal spoon while the waiter stood chatting to him.

• Stayed September 2012
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Cedars Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

What a shame as this hotel could be a good one. We stayed at this hotel because we were attending a wedding there. The rooms are ok. The breakfast was average, with dry under cooked bacon. The service was ok at breakfast, but very poor for the wedding function. Some of the staff are pleasant and do care, but others are the opposite. Not enough tea spoons on the table at breakfast - why? not enough in the budget?
I wanted to order a bottle of wine to go with my meal at the wedding, and was told 'sorry we do not do wine service, you will have to go to the bar for your wine'. That is just abysmal service. So whilst my main course was getting cold I was at the bar waiting to get served to order my wine. It was not as if there were loads of people ordering extra wine at the function.
Other let downs were every time we tried to contact the hotel the phone just rang and rang with no answer. The food at the wedding was poor. The beef was like leather and the profiteroles were stale. The hotel is in a nice setting with lovely outside areas, but it is not run as a good hotel should be.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cigarmuncher
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Cedars Inn, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you for your comments we at The Cedars do take these seriously and I have asked my maintenance team to look at the damp and lighting, so we can try and resolve these issues for future visits.
Ilfracombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is the second time we have been let down by the Cedars. At my Sons wedding, there were several reasons to complain. The food- King prawn cocktail, would normally require the use of King prawns, sadly this was not the case. The roast beef was very tough, I thought mybe it was just my cut, but everybody had the same problem. Cauliflour was so raw, my knife could not cut it. The wedding planner did not appear until after the meal was finished, nobody asked how the food was. Trying to avoid upset with the Bride & Groom I asked to get the tables cleared. It took three attempts, on the second I was told the staff are not ready, you will have to wait. Is nice to know we were appreciated. We had the same problem in the evening when the bar staff left for a break and the bar was left unstaffed, another member of staff, said you will have to use the main bar. It was part of the package for our bar to be open.
Sadly my niece has booked her wedding there next year, I do hope they improve.
As fr the first time this place let me down, I had booked a room for a meeting at an agreed price, on the day I was overcharged by £25. They agreed two weeks later by phone that was a mistake. I didn't get a refund. Green King really need to train their staff, the Cedars does not match their normal standards. Rooms average, breakfast ok.

Room Tip: Our family used several rooms. One family had a damp room, but I can't rememberwhich room they u...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed here on 12 September on a buisness trip. I received a warm and friendly welcome on arrival and staff were very helpful in providing directions to local attractions. My room was located upstairs and was warm and cosy with the window opening onto a wooded area which smelt deligtful! The bed was very comfortable and I enjoyed a good nights sleep. The fascilities were great, free wiifi and a desk to work from with tea, coffee and chocolate. The bathroom was spotless.
I ordered room service and the food was excellent, the breakfast was great, friendly staff and a wide selection on the menu.
i will certainly book here again when working back in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Cedars Inn, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
We are really pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel. At Old English Inns we really value every one of our customer’s comments. Thank you for taking the time to post your comment and we look forward to welcoming you back to Old English Inns in the future.
Slough, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Our first impression of the accomodation was dark and damp. We had to move rooms because of the smell. However, the staff were attentive and the move was no problem. The rooms were a very good size and nicely furnished but needed brighter light bulbs. The showeroom was clean and bright. Our rooms had good wheelchair access.
The restaurant staff were particularly friendly and sociable and worked hard to deliver a good service. Eric and Patrick were very friendly and looked after us very well. The food was delicious!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sticklepath
Barnstaple Hotel
Travelodge Barnstaple Hotel
Saunton Sands Hotel
Saunton Sands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Braunton

Been to Cedars Inn? Share your experiences!