“Basil oil on everything!!”
Review of The Kitchen

The Kitchen
Ranked #2 of 2 Quick Bites in Pembury
Cuisines: Soups, Street Food
Reviewed April 14, 2019 via mobile

We like visiting this garden centre and often use the restaurant. We haven't ever had problems with service (although the younger members of staff look half asleep). The food we find is usually hot and good quality. The past 3 times we have been I have ended up with a basil oil dressing on my plate. With tuna mayo jacket potato, ham egg and chips! And this morning with my poached eggs on ciabatta. None of those meals call for basil oil and it's such a strong flavour it completely over powers the food. I asked if there was a comment card or feedback form but nobody seemed to know. Disappointing, if we visit again I shall be requesting NO oil whatever it is I order.

Date of visit: April 2019

Reviewed March 29, 2019 via mobile

Crap service as usual. Why do they bother? Takes ages and ages to get anywhere. Not worth the wait for the average food served.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed March 10, 2019 via mobile

Weird service area. Took two drinks from the fridge that the girl on the checkout then took out into the kitchen to change for cold ones! As if that doesn’t slow the checkout down she then has to take your food order and punch it into the till and then make any teas or coffees. What a strange system causing unnecessary delays. We ordered sausage ciabattas and chips which took a long time to arrive and when they did the ciabattas not only looked like baguette’s they were really dried up with no butter in them and the onion relish was cold in a pot rather than how it sounded hot in the ciabatta. Not very good value for money and not something I would recommend and won’t be repeating anytime soon.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed February 12, 2019

Had Sunday lunch here a couple of days ago. Waited in a queue to order for the best part of half an hour. Perhaps it would be an idea to separate the drinks and food service areas? menu limited and food quality average. Overall a pretty dispiriting experience. I accept that this is a Garden Centre and not a Michelin star restaurant but there are nicer places to go that are within the same price range - Wyevale in TW for one.........

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed January 27, 2019 via mobile

On the plus side, the food is freshly prepared however the ciabattas and sandwiches lack any butter or mayo, by the time the food actually arrives you've finished your drinks, and the tables were a bit grubby.

Date of visit: January 2019