“Good-but not great”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Having been here many years ago when this pub was part of the beefeater chain I vowed never to return. However, due to unforseen circumstances we were stuck in Pembury and needed some food-quickly. The pub opposite was not serving until 7pm????so we reluctantly tried the camden arms.
It does look a bit tired-country pub, but not that well looked after-but could be worse. The menu is huge! often the sign of a bad pub/restaurant-how can they cook all that lot well and fresh??
Well we kicked off with the baked camenbert and chilli jam to share-what arrived was a molten bowl of yumminess and the jam had a nice kick! Only observation was the bread portion was a bit tight-even for people that dont eat much bread! To be fair we did not ask for a top up-which i feel would have been gladly provided. I then had the local sausage baguette and chips, and my other half the haloumi pitta and chips. Both were very nice-good sausage-really nice chips-not your average soul less pub ones but nice and thin-still with a bit of skin on. Over all it was great-and quite reasonably priced.
The big dissapointment was the service-it was quick, but lacked any character-the waitresses seemed more focussed on gossiping at the bar than giving a good experience. I also could not work out how to give a tip on the card terminal-for those two reasons we did not leave a tip!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We only had lunch but it was well presented and all homemade which was nice. Nice size portions too.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We arrived at 6 30 on a Sunday evening to be welcomed by staff and a wide choice of seats. We chose the carvery, (only available on Sundays). Meat portion size was possibly small, for the money, but vegetable choice was excellent. Meat quality good- we had one beef and one turkey. (Beef was well done.) The whole meal was very satisfactory from taste and general quality perspective. Good choice of real ales but I thought the price of sparkling water excessive. Staff were pleasant but waiting staff seemed very eager to clear the table. (It got very busy as we dined.) The only upset was the older lady behind the bar who I felt was quite rude when I asked if tips were distributed to all staff. (I left 10% so I hope they were.)

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Food choice was very good and tasty. Staff help with choices. Much more than your traditional pub grub.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Called in here as our first choice of eatery was fully booked.

Staff were friendly and attentive. food was good. We shared the goats cheese on garlic crouton starter, really delicious. I had the steak and Stilton pie, and my husband had the steak and Stilton pudding, both delicious. Veg were perfectly cooked (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, courgettes) and chips were good.

Would definitely recommend.