Mercure Tunbridge Wells
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$128
Anand Lodge(Royal Tunbridge Wells)
$84
$51
  • Room Service
Hotel du Vin & Bistro(Royal Tunbridge Wells)
$190
$166
Travelocity
Russell Hotel(Royal Tunbridge Wells)
$86
The Royal Wells Hotel(Royal Tunbridge Wells)
$172
$167
Travelocity
Smart and Simple Hotel(Royal Tunbridge Wells)
$88
$78
Priceline
  • Restaurant
One Warwick Park Hotel(Royal Tunbridge Wells)
$127
$123
  • Breakfast included
The Tunbridge Wells Hotel(Royal Tunbridge Wells)
$138
  • Breakfast included
Smith & Western Tunbridge Wells(Royal Tunbridge Wells)
$110
Premier Inn Tonbridge Hotel(Tonbridge)(Great Value!)
$119
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewstunbridge wellsleisure facilitiesrestaurant staffweekend breakpublic areasbooked this hotelplenty of parkinglounge areastayed here for one nighttown centretescotlckent
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Mercure as it was the closet hotel to where I was working. After calling room service and the phone not being answered, I ordered a pizza at the bar. It had not arrived after an hour and a half so I complained at reception. When it did arrive it was stone cold and had to be sent back.
The rooms are pretty dated and need upgrading, definitely not a
4* hotel.
Find somewhere else to stay if you can

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Ian S
Chris R, General Manager at Mercure Tunbridge Wells, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear Ian S

Thank you for your review and the detail you have offered.

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you and would ask that you kindly email me directly - gm.mercuretunbridgewells@jupiterhotels.co.uk.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Stayed in this hotel on the ready for romance package.Booked a table for 8.30 order taken at 9.25 waitress looked at us as if we were mad when we asked for the 2glasses of "champagne" included with the meal then could not find champagne glasses! When we finally got our main meal my husbands steak asked to be cooked medium to rare was hard and the chunky chips were still o cold in the middle unedible By this time it was way past 10pm and people were still waiting to have their meal the restaurant was it even busy. So my husband ended up with 4onion rings and 3mushrooms that we're edible we told the restaurant manager ess and was met with a sorry we have a wedding tonight. And to add insult to injury we even had to pay extra for the raw chips and rock hard uneaten steak . Everyone was complaining how bad the service was and the food one couple actually walked out leaving unbeaten food .hotel rooms good BUT avoid restaurant for dinner.

Room Tip: Up grade if poss bigger rooms
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Juloulou

Dear Juloulou

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Booked a night at the hotel on offer advertised as 'Ready for Romance'.

Chocolates on arrival - had to call reception to request chocs included in room, 1 hour later they arrive

Looked out of window (which was rather dirty) to see a nice wooded area, complete with old mattresses and beds piled high, very much disturbing the nice view

Extractor fan in bathroom did not work, therefore filling the whole room with steam as soon as you turn the shower/bath on

Cracked sink and chips out of the dated vanity unit

Flat screen TV in room had a poor picture and didn't seem to work properly.

A 3 course meal was included in the cost of our stay, however, no explanation of what was available for us to order at time of seating in the restaurant due to low staffing levels and the waiter taking our order, didn't seem to know either. The starters we ordered arrived promptly and they were very enjoyable. However, after waiting over an hour for our main courses to arrive, We asked the waitress if it would be much longer, the food arrived soon after.

Bed sheets had what looked to be dried blood stains and hair on them and old duvet cover with no trace of a button on. Called reception at 11.20pm to complain, was advised that none of the duvet covers have any buttons on, but would be there shortly to change the sheets. By 11.40pm we had the clean sheets and had a chat with the night shift person, who was extremely apologetic and sympathetic to the situation we had experienced.

Squeaky floorboards in the room above keeping us awake.

Ordered breakfast to be delivered to our room in the morning, which didn't arrive, called to find out where it was, arrived half an hour later and was cold and not quite what we had ordered.

Went to check out soon after and was provided with a full refund and apology on arriving at reception.

The staff at the hotel are all really nice, but low morale among them is clear to see.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 414emma

Dear 414emma

Reviewed February 9, 2014

The only reason we stayed at this hotel is because it is close to Pembury Hospital and although we didn't have high expectations, we were still disappointed by many aspects of the hotel. I'll be brief:

Good points:
The bar provided plates and cutlery for our takeaway dinner.
One of the staff at breakfast obtained gluten free bread for one of our group, and also offered to toast it for us.
The rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet, and met all our requirements.
The pool and pool are was very clean.

Bad points:
It took a half hour phone call on an 0845 number to book two rooms.
At check in, we were left waiting while two reception staff chatted in the office.
A 'used' condom was left outside our door and when our plates were removed from the hallway, the condom remained.
The room key stopped at working at 11:55 at the very time we were trying to move our bags to check out.
Most of the staff were surly and unfriendly; staff morale seems low and most don't take much pride in their jobs or the company they work for.

I'm interested to read that there is a new manager here, perhaps he can make the changes needed to improve the experience of future guests.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Laura O
Chris R, Manager at Mercure Tunbridge Wells, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear Laura O

Please be assured that all your constructive feedback has been taken on board.
I was pleased to hear about the condition and cleanliness of the bedroom.

I will of course be monitoring public area standards and team interaction but would really like the opportunity to discuss the matter further with you.

Please could you email me directly - gm.mercuretunbridgewells@jupiterhotels.co.uk

Regards

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I don't normally review places, but felt quite strongly about other familys knowing the sort of rooms they are likely to get. Perhaps there are some lovely rooms as advertised on their website, but the family room we had was so dated and musty smelling, nothing like the website images...duvet covers old and one was torn, towels old and had a musty smell too. Bathroom had rusty screws showing on handle and soap holder was falling off the wall. We never received our complimentary gift which was stated in our special offer at the time. If we had paid full price for this room we would have demanded our money back and left...as not at all what you are lead to believe on the website were the rooms look fresh and modern. Wifi in room was slow. Breakfast we thought was poor. Gents main toilets in reception area were disgraceful.

Room Tip: If having to stay here, then would probably upgrade to one of their newer rooms?
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank JL K
Chris R, General Manager at Mercure Tunbridge Wells, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear JL K

Thank you for your constructive feedback. The team and myself would like to sincerely apologise for the experience.
I am the new General Manager and am keen to capture feedback on all aspects of your stay.

Please may I request that you email : gm.mercuretunbridgewells@jupiterhotels.co.uk

I look forward to speaking to you soon.

Regards