“Great overnight stay”

Mercure Tunbridge Wells
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Pembury
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed at this hotel last night with friends. Handy location for Tunbridge Wells. The rooms were comfortable, clean and spacious. We enjoyed using the pool and steam room - a shame there is no where to relax at the side of the pool . Dinner was excellent and the service at dinner and breakfast was prompt and attentive. We particularly liked Roberto and Jo and enjoyed the warm and light hearted atmosphere they created in the restaurant. We would definitely visit again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CAH43
Denise V, General Manager at Mercure Tunbridge Wells, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear ''CAH43" Thank you so much for your feed back. We look forward to your return visit. Your thoughts are especially kind and we are delighted that you find things here so satisfactory.

Best Regards

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights over a weekend recently. The Ouste part of the hotel is beautiful and very impressive with a very welcoming receptionist. Our room was a disappointment. We had booked a superior which was supposed to have its own lounge area. This actually consisted of 2 small arm chairs 2 feet away from the bed! When my husband enquired if we had e correct room he was assured that this was a superior. We felt like we had been conned into paying quite a lot extra just to have 2 armchairs squeezed into the space. The actual bedroom was decorated beautifully, loved the wallpaper, however, the bathroom had several cracked tiles, mildew around the taps and tiles in the bath area and I kept finding hairs everywhere that weren't mine! We also did not receive our "complimentary" newspaper every morning.
The pool and spa area were tired. The women's changing rooms need a complete refurb. Firstly they are communal which I hate. I am no prude but trying to get changed in a small changing room with 4 other ladies and getting their 'bits' shoved in your face due to lack of space is no fun! When I came out of the pool there were 5 ladies getting changed and there was literally nowhere for me to put my belongings. I got so irritated I went into the only toilet there to change. There seemed to be no heating in this toilet and it was freezing! The pool is very small. The steam room an obvious add on and quite ugly. The jacuzzi was not working. A member of the Spa left for the day when we were leaving and told another member of staff that 'they couldn't wait for to leave for the b###dy day!" I thought this comment was very unprofessional to be made in front of guests regardless how bad her day had been!
The restaurant offers a good choice for evening meal. We ate at 7 o'clock and had no staff or waiting issues. The meal was good. Breakfast on the other hand was not. Firstly, the plates are cold, regardless that they are stored in a plate heater. My breakfast was barely luke warm Saturday morning, although it was tasty. There is really not a lot of choice. One bowl of yoghurt, several bowls of fruit, one choice of pastry and several cereals although the cooked breakfast had more choice. Sunday was dreadful. Same choices which was ok however, it was a lot busier with the cooked breakfast running out quickly and was not being replenished quick enough. We were actually the lucky ones as we got a table and breakfast, albeit barely warm again! When we left the restaurant there was a queue of some 15 people waiting to get it! Thankfully, this was not us as I think I would have very quickly lost my temper waiting for food!
The public bar and restaurant are very tired looking and I would think are now due for a major refurbishment. If not they should be! These areas were also chilly and not warm and cosy as you would expect.
Also note to management: your chambermaids all came across as miserable. The only ones that said good morning were ones that we spoke to 1st and they all seem to either avoid meeting your eyes or look right through you!
All in all we felt slightly 'robbed' at how much we paid for this hotel. We have stayed in MUCH nicer for less. Would we return? NO, we would not.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank overalls

Thank you “overalls” for your input. While it is naturally greatly saddening to read what you say, we genuinely welcome sensible feedback. We are not complacent when it comes to maintaining the hotel, subsequently, we can only work within the realms of our budgeted projects. Keeping mindful that our in - house preventative maintenance programme is continually ongoing to keep the hotel inline with four star protocol.

I feel “overalls” statement concerning a comment made by a member of my leisure team is a little inaccurate, as a consequence there was only one person scheduled to work in the club this weekend due to sickness.

Concerning the temperature of breakfast I can confirm that after checking the breakfast temperature records over the weekend, the food temperature did not fall below 70 degrees thus keeping us in line with food the safety policy.

Unfortunately, our restaurant is not the largest. This can misinterpret one’s judgment when you see people queuing at the buffet. Please be mindful that this is a buffet, and the queue usually depletes in minutes, much like all other hotels no matter what the star rating.

We wish “overalls” all the best for the future and thank you for taking the time to comment.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 49neragain

Reviewed March 6, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Denise V, General Manager at Mercure Tunbridge Wells, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel during a works trip for 4 nights. The hotel itself is lovely and peaceful. My room was very large with its own living room area, and large bathroom. I saw several of the other rooms as my colleagues were also staying in the same hotel, each had a different style and look about them but each was as good as mine. My room overlooked a courtyard garden and was so quiet, no traffic noise etc. The toiletries were regularly topped up as were the drinks making facilities. The hotel itself was lovely and clean throughout and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was very nice, a good choice of hot and cold food and a wide choice of drinks. I ate two evening meals at the hotel and the food was excellent. The dining room staff are a real credit to the business, very attentive but not overpowering. I can’t say a bad word about this hotel and I hope to return for a leisure visit in the near future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank chasingdreamsIpswich

"chasingdreamsIpswich " - Thank you for you kind feedback.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel, service and facilities excellent. Thank you for taking the time to endorse what we do.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I had searched on line for a four start hotel out side london with a child friendly pool and decided to book this hotel as it seemed very nice in the photo's.
1.When booking the package deal on Mercure's own website site it said that we would get a free gift on arrival, That did not happen. Even the girl behind the desk was unaware of such offer.
2. entering the room and switching on the wall mounted lamp shade, All the lights go out. complained, got the manager around, he goes to fix it in the main fuse room, Bang sparks fly. comes back and say's " He does not want to call the electrician out on a sunday so can we live with the problem with the bulbs taken out. did offer us a the same room on the upper floor but with our child staying with us, declined.
3. No shower gel in the room, even when we asked they said they don't supply, only hair condition was in the room.
4. Jucuzzi Not Working.
5. Run out of shower gel in the pool area for three days!!
6. Steam room with very little steam.
7. breakfast, asked for coffee and tea, got none and ask someone else.
8. Very poor lighting in the car park and entrance to the hotel.
9. Desk staff, made no effort to smile or talk.
10. The whole hotel is In real need of a deep clean, especially the pool area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ennapatel

I am sorry that "Ennapatel" came to this: we welcome their feedback and are happy to look at their thoughtful and courteously made comments.

While we feel this account is not quite accurate, we have no interest in appearing complacent or defensive. Thank you again for your time and contribution, “Ennapatel”.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed here recently for a friends Civil Partnership, and can honestly say it was absolutely perfect! The lady on reception was extremely welcoming and helpful, and all the staff i came across throughout my stay were so helpful and attentive!

I only stayed for one night, but i found the room very spacious, the bed very comfortable, and enjoyed a very relaxing bath in the lovely bathroom! Plenty of towels and free toiletries. The free WiFi was useful, and easy to connect too as well!

As far as the civil ceremony went, it was flawless! Again, the attention to detail and general service was a triumph. The food was plentiful and lovely, which all made for a very enjoyable day!

I cannot recommend the hotel enough. For a short stay, you cant go far wrong with this one!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Nathan M
Denise V, General Manager at Mercure Tunbridge Wells, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

"Nathan M"- Thank you for such positive feedback, we are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and happy you chose to share your thoughts on a public forum. We look forward to welcoming your back to the hotel shortly.

Kind Regards
Denise Vas

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pembury
3 mi away
#1 of 2 in Pembury
Russell Hotel
Russell Hotel
#10 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells

Been to Mercure Tunbridge Wells? Share your experiences!