“You must eat here”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

We ate twice here last week on a trip to Kent and I can't recommend it highly enough. Try Paula's steak and mushroom pie!! To die for. Can't wait to go back.

There are newer reviews for The Black Horse

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Been using this pub/restaurant for many years - never been disappointed with the food especially the Sunday carvery. Portions are very generous and food is cooked and presented to a very good standard. Thoroughly recommended

Reviewed September 23, 2012

When we arrived there was a mix up over our booking, which had been attempted by the hotel we were staying at. Despite the place being heaving with two large functions in the place, plus a full restaurant, they made strenuous efforts to find us a table, which took only a few minutes. While we waited we had a beer (and G&T for the ladies). Now the good news here is that this place is a Free House. The ales had been chosen with great care, and they know how to keep a barrel of beer. Lovely stuff. People there were very friendly, open and chatty too. Lovely atmosphere and a lovely little local. Not at all gastro-designer.

The food was out of this world. There is a proper grown-up seafood restaurant at the back of the pub, but we ate from the bar menu in the pub itself.

The Breaded Brie was amazing. Perfectly cooked, and served with a superb chili jam which balanced the cheese perfectly. If you come here you must try this. Your mouth will love you forever. The home made fishcakes were also superbly done, fresh tasting and with a very light batter. Yummy.

Main courses for the ladies were Shepherds pies. Lovely comfort food, clearly made with love. Quality mince, perfect potato. It came with vegetables,piping hot, and with a mini boat of real old-fashioned gravy, thick and full of flavour. My mate had liver and onions seated on creamy smooth mash, and which he polished off with gusto, exuding superlatives with almost every mouthfull. Again, the gravy made the meal perfect.

My slow roasted lamb was pure ecstasy! The lamb was full of very subtle aromas of rosemary and garlic, cooked to such perfection you could cut it with a fork, and the flavour of the lamb itself was wonderful. The sautee potatoes that came with it were crisp on the outside, soft and fluffy in the centre, and again with such a gravy that I hadn't tasted in years. Good and thick, ample, and so tasty and full of stock/juices that your lips stick together after eating it. And yes it was different to my wifes gravy for her shepherds pie. Make no mistake, these guys know what they are doing.

The desserts menu was satisfactory but not especially inspiring. I guess the home-made ice cream would be favourite there. But that didn't matter too much as the portions were so generous we were happy to close our meal there with those delicous savoury tastes flooding over our mouths. And clearly they were putting huge effort into the other courses.

I had a double espresso to finish, and this was a bit weak for my taste. I wondered if it was instant at first, but I think they had clearly put in rather a lot of hot water on top of the shot. Not great coffee, but happily forgiven after such a fantastic meal.

Service too was superb. I haven't had such speedy courteous and professional service from a pub meal before. They REALLY want you to enjoy you meal there. Our 22 year old server was very knowledgeable about the dishes and gave us first class service. Thanks mate!

And that was it. Gorgeous grub, wholesome warming food, generous portions, great service and a very friendlylocal clientelle. It doesnt get better than this. If I lived locally Id be there several times a week!

£6 ish for a starter, £12-£16 main course. Worth every penny, and a delightful contrast to our terrible previous nights meal at the Mercure.

1  Thank Geoff W
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I went last week to this pub/restaurant twice on a walking holiday. The welcome was friendly (especially considering this seems a local pub as well as a restaurant) and the food was excellent. My girlfriend and I commented on how this was an excellent selectione of what I would call british seafood. A lot of it was fried, but done so beautifully light and crisp. The fishcakes and whitbait were some of the best I have ever tasted and the main courses we tasted were simply but perfectly cooked (fish pie, steak and mushroom pie, lamb and salmon).
I would not hesitate to go back to this pub again, for an excellent and heartwarming meal!

Reviewed February 3, 2012

Seafood is popular on menu here but the Sunday carverys are popular so you would need to book in advance I would reccomend. Situated out of town in village of Pembury.

1  Thank ljw7880