“A Gem of a Guesthouse”

Sunshine Guest House
Dublin, Ireland
“A Gem of a Guesthouse”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Part of me wants to keep this place a secret as it won over my heart and my stomach - the indian food prepared fresh daily by Tilaga is out of this world! Sunshine Guest House is a gem of a guesthouse for any traveller. I was a solo traveller on my first trip to India and Sunshine was my first stop - I still count my blessings that I found it. From the moment of my arrival I was made to feel at home and like part of this extended family - I loved the relaxed atmosphere, the fabulous view of Mt Arunachala, the food, the rooms and just the peacefulness that surrounds the area.

What made is so special is also the owner/manager Sathya - he makes everyone feel welcomed and was always on hand if you needed to sort anything out - from getting to somewhere, to finding accomodation in another part in india - nothing was too much hassle.

I stayed for 7 nights initially and I enjoyed myself so much that I came back for another 3 nights at the end of my trip as I couldn't leave without seeing Mt Arunachala again.

I would recommend staying here for a unique experience. I will definitely be back!

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Redrobin100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Lismore, Australia
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Sunshine Guest House is a real find for the weary traveller. It is relaxed, friendly with wonderful food and friendly staff.
The owner/manager Sathya makes every visitor feel welcome and at home he has a vast amount of local knowledge. This small friendly Guest House has great views of Mt Arunachala and is far enough off the road to be quiet and restful.
I will definitely stay there again and it will be like coming home

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank JudyArpana
Ubud, Indonesia
Reviewed December 1, 2012

When I opened the door to my room at Sunshine Guest House, I gasped. "This is delightful," I said to my traveling companion. I was surprised. After a few weeks in India, I had come to expect a decently clean but otherwise somewhat dank cinder block room--but that was not to be found at Sunshine Guest House. The room was clean, well-lit (there were 3 choices for lighting, not just a fluorescent bulb!), and cozy. The grounds are landscaped with beautiful flowers, the thatched roof dining/living area is a wonderful spot to talk with other travelers or use the free wifi. Coming home each day was such a welcome experience. I was able to truly relax here due to the peace and quiet of the grounds and the lovely aesthetics.

The owner Satya is kind, warm, and helpful. The food prepared daily by Tillica was delicious and spiced with the western traveler in mind. The only suggestion I have is that the breakfast was often just fruit and yogurt, which was sometimes not enough. I highly recommend staying here while in Tiru.

Room Tip: There is no pool or gym--disregard the rating above.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Robyn L
Maple Ridge District Municipality, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Located just outside of the bustling city, the Sunshine Guest House provides a tranquille atmosphere with a great view of Mt. Arunachela. The owner Satya has created a peaceful sanctuary where his guests are well looked after. The meals he and his staff would make each day were to die for and I for one could not get enough of the culinary delights they prepared. Satya knows the area well and would offer suggestions of things to do and see each day. There was never a moment I did not feel safe (as a woman on her own that was of the utmost importance) and I would go back in a heartbeat. It was truely an incredible experience.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are tastefully decorated, clean, spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Good food....check
Great hosts.....check
Relaxation....check
Lovely staff....check

If you plan to visit India, do not miss visiting this city and this guest house. It is true India and true experience. Wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank debbycole
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Sunshine Guest House was a calm and soothing escape in the midst of the tremendous hustle bustle of India. At the end of a hyper-sensory day in the city, in traffic and trying to maneuver the unknown of the unfamiliar it was always great to get to return to Sunshine Guest House. The environment was attractive and guest rooms, bedding and bathroom clean and well- kept. Always felt safe and well cared for. The owner, Satya, is especially helpful, kind and respectful of all his guests and his staff could not please enough. During my travels in India, I stayed in several fine hotels but they were no competition for the comfort and satisfaction of staying at the Sunshine Guest House.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Trip4me_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thiruvannamalai
Hotel Himalayaa
#1 of 21 in Tiruvannamalai
Sri Sarvesha JS Palace
Sri Sarvesha JS Palace
#5 of 21 in Tiruvannamalai

Been to Sunshine Guest House? Share your experiences!