“The best place to stay in”

Orchard Holiday Resort
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Lakkidi
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
“The best place to stay in”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Me and my family had an excellent experience with Orchard. Enjoyed a lot! Recommend this hotel to stay with family or as individuals. My kids could really enjoy the kids activities. It was a unique experience for all of us. recommending... money value hotel

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Susan M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We travelled as a group of 6 guys, so this review is not relevant if you are going to travel as a couple or family!
Overall, we felt that the place is good in terms of location and price. We hired a two bed rooms and two extra beds and teh stay was comfortable.
The location of this resort is good and relatively isolated, we went in a tata safari so didn't face any issues, there is no tar road for the last ~3 kms and is quite a feat to go in a small car or a sedan, if you love your small car or sedan, you will hate this route! The resort doesn't even inform in advance that the last leg of the route is BAD! But once you reach there, it is all good. We had 2 guys in our group who spoke Malayalam, so had no problems communicating, but even otherwise, they speak hindi and english and it's not that difficult to get things done.
The food was was somwhere between average and good, and it wasn't kerala style, it was more suited for the Karnataka crowd, and I presume that's where the bulk of their customers come from!
One problem for us, this resort doesn't have license to stock or sell alcoholic beverages, so we had to purchase it from the goverment liqour shops in the town for which you have to brave the offroad journeys and what was not good and acceptable is that they didn't even allow us to use their refrigerator to cool the Beer, not good. Atleast keep a refrigerator in the rooms, it isn't available on request either! Not very convinient if you plan to have a drink or two in this place.
The stream that flows inside the resort is the best part of the resort, we had a good time playing in it. Other than this, there is nothing much to do, you will have to go back on that off-road path for 3 kms before you hit main road and go to other attractions in and around that area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Somesh-navya
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

It's almost impossible to find this place at night, was about a half hour rickshaw ride on a dirt track from kalpetta. It was isolated, so if you want to get away from it all and chill out I'd recommend it, but it's too out of the way if you're on the tourist trail. The rooms decent, but we had to have the sheets changed before sleeping on them, shower pressure was low so you have to use the bucket for hot water, food was ok but limited options- you get what you're given especially if you don't speak Malayalam. It's really cold at night in winter, but I can imagine it's a lovely retreat from the summer sun.

• Stayed December 2011
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We visited this Place for Long Weekend of Aug 18 , Here is our Experience, we reached Wayanad a bit late on Saturday the staff was courteous enough to guide us in the middle of the night, when we were getting continuous call from them about our location we were happy on the way that hotel gives personalize service BUT BUT BUT story begins here as Happiness was very short lived and what was waiting THE ULTIMATE HORRIBLE Experience. Now we know why they were courteous because without their giving directions you can never reach the hotel unless you get directions from them and they have to drive your car if you are going in night as road to reach there is very small and very risky.

When we checked in they showed us our room which had Cane Bed, Small Cane Cupboard, typically saying it was real cheap furniture, I will not keep that broken type furniture even in my backyard. Rooms were stinking, Not Hot water in bathroom (Considering Wayand is a colder Place), No Intercom in Room ( You cannot contact anybody from your room for hot water or perhaps anything), Bed sheets were stained dirty one, Beds were really hard it was like just 1 inch mattress on cane bed you can imagine that, No Television in the room, Broken electrical fittings wires coming out of switches in bathroom (Infact there were no switches in that dabbi, only wires they din't even bothered to close those open wires.) it looked like some store room

Food, aha only Buffet there is no a-la-carte so u have to eat that Sick food which costs Rs 300 Per Person and if you ask me i was only able to eat plain rice and ice cream from that buffet, it was like some leftover food whenever you go, Tastes so bad as of cooked in some old burnt oil or kerosene or what was that you feel like puking after eating that food. Hahahahaha just recalled breakfast experience there were some leftover eggs kinda stiff was lying on table i asked waiter for omelette and he pointed me towards them, and I couldn't stop laughing it was like u break omelette into 12 small pieces that too with hand and they call it omelette.... :-D

We were suppose to stay for 2 Nights but we checked out after one night as these were not living conditions. On check out they told us they Don't Accept Credit Cards and moreover started to demand more than what was agreed upon, when we started to complain guy knew only 3 words "sir its 3500/night" He was like u can abuse him do anything he will say only these 3 words or will go inside talk to their lady owner, Then we spoke directly to her and told us to pay the money as its a 3 Star resort and gave us reference of tripadvisor to check reviews and don't believe our horrible experience when we asked this was not here (For example Hot Water) she said check tripadvisor review its there in our resort that was real funny (Now I Beleive below reveiws are all fake i have marked som of them inappropriate since i have visited this property after reading tripadvisor reviews. Frankly ask me any lodge whose rent is 600--800 Rs will be far far better than this so called resort, According to me standard room for 3500 over priced, I will pay 325 Rs to stay in such a room not more than that.

Hence our long weekend was damaged by Orchard Holiday Resort this way.

Regards

Room Tip: Do not take standard room at all that is like a store room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank travelworldismywish
Secunderabad, India
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I had been with my family to this resort in August of 2012 and I absolutely loved the place where this resort is located. This is located in the Lakkidi area of Wayanad and it receives a lot of rainfall, which has its own advantages. The place is luch green and is completely secluded.

I had initally booked a package deal for my family for 3 nights and 4 days. The package deal was a very good one which included all meals and also included an option of an all day tour or massage for 2 adults. I had driven down with my family all the way from Hyderabad to this resort and I took a break in Bangalore. I started from Bangalore in the morning and it took me about 7 hours to reach this place from Bangalore, crossing the Bandipur National forest. However in the 7 hour drive, I was able to cover the Bangalore - Mysore distance in 2.5 hours and it took me a long time to cover the remaining journey to cover the small portion in Kerala.

Since I used the GPS on my phone, locating the road to the resort was not an issue at all. The road to the resort from the main road as everyone pointed out is a single road or actually a single pathway and can get tricky when another vehicle approaches from the opposite direction. Since, I was driving a scorpio and have driven in such roads earlier, I did not have too much to complain. But hey, that is one of the reasons that this place is still remote and serene.

After we reached the resort, we were fortunate to get the room close to the stream and it was raining and the stream was really tempting. Then we realized the main problem..... Leeches..... We were advised not to venture out too much on the open lands as there were leeches. In addition to that, being in a proper rain forest, there were a lot of insect life around the resort.

Since I travelled with 2 kids, with no TV inside the rooms and with them not able to go out and play in the open, it was a matter of time before they started getting impatient, While they did have a TV in the dining area, since it was a 2 minute walk from the room, the kids were scared to walk to the place alone.

The food was great and the service was great. However as mentioned by someone earlier, the food was delayed at all times. Breakfast was after 9 AM, lunch was almost 2 and dinner was almost 9. However, apart from us, the others could not have complained because the others were trying to relax and we felt like we had gone there to eat :-)

I did find it a little surprising when they started serving using spoons first (reminded me of the DOCOMO ad). But then I realized that it was completely unintentional and they did provide us whatever we asked.

However, I realized that I would not be able to stay for 3 nights as my little daughter started having nightmares about leeches as we had removed one from her dress also. I spoke to them about my decision and they immediately agreed and converted my stay to daily rate. I stayed there for 2 nights and checked out the 3rd day.

From an economics perspective, I realized that I was almost paying close to the same (a little lesser) for staying for 2 nights on daily rate and taking an all inclusive 3 nights package.

In short, based my experience

Pros
Good location (in Lakkidi which receives a lot of rain fall when compared to other places in Waynad)
good value for money on a package deal
In a secluded place
Good service
excellent food

Suggestions - If you travelling with young ones in rainy season, pls keep in mind the above points of No TV and insects in the area.

I enjoyed my stay and would recommend this to others also.

Room Tip: Choose one of the stream facing rooms and preferable closer to the dining area.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rumasan
Port Blair, India
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Had an exhilarating stay at the resort for two days on 29th and 30 Jun 2012 with family.Reached early by 3 pm after negotiating the slightly challenging 2 km road stretch in an SX4. The resort is nestled in a valley and the scenery around is breathtaking.
Stayed in a cottage by the stream .Well designed cane furniture in the rooms , large size beds and spacious warm interiors catch your attention as you walk in.Turned out to be cosy and comfortable as well .Linen was good and hot water instantly avlble on the turn of a tap.Room service and hospitality was outstanding .Visited places nearby and returned at 8.30 pm and found the road stretch still negotiable despite heavy rains.
Dinner and breakfast were served piping hot and with a cheer.The Manager and staff were polite and very cooperative.Mobile connectivity was ok as far as bsnl and idea connections were concerned.All in all a most memorable getaway.
Pros- Hospitality,cleanliness,room service.Good attitude .Generator noise cannot be heard at all .

Capt Satish chandran
Master Mariner

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank satish1957
Kozhikode, India
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The ambiance is excellent coupled with the climate of Wayanad makes this a sought out location for holidaying.
The service offered is also great. All this at very reasonable rates as well. Extremely happy.
Highly recommended as well.

Room Tip: 3 bed room cottages available can easily accommodate 18 - 20 if it is a group of adults on a holiday...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jainath_M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakkidi
Lakkidi Village Resort
Upavan Resort
Upavan Resort
#1 of 6 in Lakkidi
Rain Country Resorts, Lakkidi,Wayanad

Been to Orchard Holiday Resort? Share your experiences!