“a good holiday”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Covelong
Pune, India
“a good holiday”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

This review is a little late as we stayed here about 4 months ago but I have only just managed to get around to it now.

First impressions - the resort is definitely in need of a little upgrade & some basic renovations.That's not to say the property isn't well maintained but it is very dated & could do with some local flavour & character in the common areas at least.

But what it lacks in interiors, it makes up in service. The staff is warm & friendly & will go out of their way to take good care of you.

We stayed in a charming villa with a private garden right on the beach & for a city dweller like me, it was amazing to be able to wake up & see the waves breaking a few metres from your doorstep. Or to laze away an afternoon lying back in a hammock with a book. However, one feedback I would like to give is regarding the housekeeping - the grass was not trimmed well in the villa garden & I hesitated more than once before I finally stepped out onto it. There was a little cemented area just outside our patio where you could wash the sand off your feet before you stepped into your room - I couldn't use this at all as the grass was so overgrown around it, I preferred to stay away. There are also a lot of crows here which makes for a lot of mess (esp when they eat the little fish on the garden tables & chairs) so perhaps the housekeeping can make it a point to clean these regularly?

Food was excellent throughout the resort - even in the coffee shop (which, in most hotels, serve good, but uninspiring food). The Upper Deck restaurant served some excellent Mediterranean dishes but it was extremely expensive & the staff must learn that sometimes 'less is more' when it comes to service.

The restaurant that had us raving was the Bayview seafood restaurant right on the beach. Chef Thiru has a way with seafood that not too many chefs can boast of & his food, combined with the setting & the beautiful waves, made this an experience I remember vividly even after all these months. For us, complete foodies, Chef Thiru's seafood preparations will be a prime reason for us to return to the Taj Fisherman's Cove. Service at the restaurant was very good; friendly, warm, good recommendations & just the right amount of attention given to us by the staff; a refreshing change after Upper Deck. We also found a lot of locals from Chennai driving down here over the weekend, always proof of good, fresh food.

The Jiva Spa at the resort is one of the best I've experienced, though prior booking is required when the resort is full which happens quite often when there is a conference group.

The best part of the resort, though, is quite simply, the beachfront. For me, a Goa regular, the clean blue water, long unbroken stretch of golden sand, stretching in both directions as far as the eye can see, and unspoilt by shacks was a refreshing change from beaches of Goa. The waves are different too, higher & faster & I wasn't surprised to find a lot of surf shacks further down. We spent most of our evenings walking the length of the beach as the sun set over the waters.

If you'd like to get out, a trip to Mahabalipuram is a must for the fabulous Shore Temple while a visit to the Madras Crocodile Bank & snake venom collection centre a few kms down the road from the resort is also worth your while.

Overall a charming resort that grows on you the longer you stay. Definitely plan to go back.

Room Tip: if you are a couple or a family, stay in either the cottages or the villas. The views of the beach a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed February 3, 2014

The Taj Fisherman's Cove is one of my favorite hotels worldwide!

Rajiv from the front-desk made our stay fantastic. He went out of his way to greet us, and upon hearing my twin sister and I were celebrating our birthday arranged for a Cake to be delivered to our Cottage (C-18). He was also kind enough to invite us to a special Tea where they treated us to some exotic snacks and once again pampered us.

Slevam the Lifeguard, took us on a walk along the beach to show us to different types of wildlife.He found a guitar Fish, showed us different types of crab species and the highlight of our stay, showed us 2 different Turtle Nests! His respect for the environment was contagious!

The staff at Bay View were also very sweet. After our main course, we couldn't decide on a desert. So the waiter brought us a special mocktail to wash down the incredible dinner on-the-house. It was the perfect way to end a weekend of pampering at the Taj. I will definitely be returning here!

The Garden View cottage is very quaint. C-18 where we stayed has a view of the ocean is a close walk to the Spa, Restaurants and Pool. The outdoor shower was my favorite!

The breakfast buffet was delicious (had a good selection of Indian and continental food) with live counters for Dosa, Poori, Waffles, Pancakes and Eggs. If you haven't tried the bakes Yogurt here, you must!

We had a relaxation massage at the Jiva Spa and the masseuse's were fantastic. The massage was so good, we went on both days! The hotel was kind enough to give us a discount upon receiving my Taj Inner Circle membership number.

In my opinion, the Taj Fisherman's cove relationship management and service surpasses that of any of the other Taj's in Chennai. From the check-in, to the in-house dining & housekeeping, to the special invitation to tea, to the exclusive mocktails at the Restaurant when we couldn't decide on a dessert for dinner, to Selvam's walk along the beach hunting for wild life. The team pampered us and made us feel very special. The willingness of the team to go out of their way to help was exactly what makes me refer my peers to the Taj Group when choosing accommodation for their travel.

Room Tip: C-18 is close to the lobby, spa, pool and restaurants. It also has a partial view of the Sea even th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
BCKumar, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Fisherman's Cove, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Guest

We are pleased to note that you had a fantastic stay with us.

Thank you for the wonderful feedback and appreciation

We have passed on your compliments all the team members, they felt greatly motivated by your positive comments. It is always our endeavour to ensure that everyone of our guests who visit us enjoy a memorable stay with us

With warm wishes
boriah.kumar@tajhotels.com
San Antonio TX
Reviewed February 2, 2014

The Vivanta by Taj - Fisherman's Cover is located about 45 minutes south of the Chennai aiport. It is in the Cavelong beach resort area and what a resort it is! It is very isolated (although there is a fishing village about a kilometer or so down the beach) and when you come in, you definitely sense it. Upon entering the property, you see lovely landscaped grounds everywhere, small residence huts, and the main building. Check-in at the main building was great, you get personal service by someone at one of several desks. My hut residence was a few minutes walk away from the main building, but I was ushered with my luggage using a golf cart.

My residence hut was great. The main room was circular (as was my hut) with a large comfortable bed. The separate bathroom had a bathtub, sink and toilet. In the back was the outdoor shower. The outdoor shower was landscaped into the hill with high bamboo shielding the shower. The air conditioning worked very well and there was also a large ceiling fan above the bed.

I spent time each day I was at the Taj, wandering the private beach as well as the wonderful grounds at the resort.

I ate at both the Seagull restaurant (in the main building) where I had lovely breaskfasts as well as a nice Indian lunch and the Upper Deck restaurant which was outdoors for Mediterranean food (very, very good). The Anchor Bar in the main building was an excellent place to relax with a drink.

Service was very good at this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a hut!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tim S
Dear Guest

Thank you for very descriptive appreciation on our food, room and service.

Yes, the cottages are very well designed like a shell shaped with open shower, bath, bed and sit out and enjoy the sea and breeze..

I am glad, you visited the Seagull our all day dining, the Upper deck the med cuisine and relaxed in our Anchor Bar

We are grateful for such a lovely feedback and looking forward to your next visit

boriah.kumar@tajhotels,com
Patna, India
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We stayed in this hotel during our visit to Chennai. It is located right on the beach, but it's not private beach and local people do walk around. There's nice restaurant right on beach which serves very nice sea food. this is the only restaurant in the state which has this perfect location. The swimming pool is clean. Buffet breakfast spread is just ok, on weekend lot of local people come for breakfast who make the place noisy and children running all around.excellent spa, must try. Try staying in cottages facing sea. Very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Stay in cottages facing sea
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

The beaches are not owned by any one in India, However we take pride in keeping the beach clean and have employed with life guard & security personal to ensure our guest have private time on the sands..

The Bay View, is the finest restaurant serving the fresh catch of the day with the ocean view

Looking forward to welcome you back at the resort

warm regards
boriah.kumar@tajhotels.com
Knokke, Belgium
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Very nice rooms and excellent service. I stayed in the main hotel with view over the swimming pool.
Very nice garden and you are at the beach which is very clean (small fishervillage at walkable distance on the beach)
Breakfast is outstanding as always.
The massages are very good.

Room Tip: Try to have an independant room with full seaview, lathough the room I had in the main building was...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We went to the resturant close to the beach. Ordered three main courses. Indian gravys were good, but really nothing special... The mud crab was a crab shell without any meat, kinda disappointing. If we didnt share meals and i had the crab myself i would be very very sad. THe place itself i cant say nothing bad about, its a paradise, its beautiful, its just... a place to go away to take rest.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I have stayed in this property on 22nd January 2014 and was on a business trip. The first and the most important aspect that catch your attention is the beach which is extremely close. The evenings are the most thrilling. The cool breeze which comes from the sea is enough to bring back the memories of your life.
Location wise this is the best beach property in Chennai.
Talking about the rooms. I have stayed in the cottage which is close to the beach. The rooms are good. Service is also good. Food is great as well.
As this is a huge property, one will have to use the bicycle or the cart to move around through the Resort.
All together this is an excellent property. Would suggest this to all my clients, friends and family.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Covelong
Grande Bay Resort and Spa
#2 of 27 in Mahabalipuram
MGM Beach Resorts
#1 of 1 in Muttukadu
Nungambakkam
Taj Club House
Taj Club House
#17 of 393 in Chennai (Madras)
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,088 reviews
The Leela Palace Chennai
#1 of 393 in Chennai (Madras)
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,326 reviews

Been to Vivanta by Taj - Fisherman's Cove? Share your experiences!