“Not up to the standards of a five * hotel”

Vivanta by Taj - Fisherman's Cove
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Covelong
Lier, België
“Not up to the standards of a five * hotel”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stayed in a sea facing cottage at the outskirts of the resort. Unfortunately, it was very close to a mosque. And, since it was the end of the Ramadan, the prayers kept me awake during the night. The airco was quite noisy even when running in the lowest fan mode. Without having my earplugs with me it would have been impossible to get a good night of sleep.
The cottage itself is outdated and in need of urgent refurbishment, although still rather clean. The pictures on the website are very misleading.
Although staff in general was friendly, service was not up to the standards of a 5 star hotel. I have been to quite a lot of other 5 star hotels during the past 3 years in Chennai, so I am well placed to compare.
The first day, I got my tea after I finishing breakfast, never got a napkin, The second day I got a napkin which was really worn, ... The third day, there was a friendly girl at the reception of the Seagull restaurant, and apparently from then on, everything went much more smoothly.
Breakfast selection (for Europeans) is limited. Furniture (certainly the tables) in the Seagull restaurant are worn.
Since I was here on a business trip, I personally missed a desk in my room so could do some work (basic stuff in any other 5 star hotel).

Room Tip: (some) rooms are really outdated.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Exaptar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
Barcelos, Portugal
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Wonderful hotel , excellent service , not far from the archaeological sites , out from the city so that the traffic is less disturbing . Good restaurants , very nice location near the huge beach , where on Sundays one can see innumerable crowds gathering along the sea , a spectacle in itself .

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marnie K
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Fishermans cove or Fish Cove as it is commonly refered is beautifully located on the coast of chennai. Almost all rooms face the ocean and the property has a wonderful beach.The location of the property is great. That being said, the hotel needs to make investments in modernizing its facilities and look. The rooms are old and the bathrooms quite ancient. The closets were crumbling. My WiFi went down a couple of times and it took my own engineering skills to ensure the phone in the room was functional. It was hard to locate the coffee machine and my room did not have an ironing board!!! Two days in a row the elevator was not working. That is ok given there were only 2 stories to climb but still if you are running a 5 star property and charging top dollars for it, you need to have it all together. Such inefficiences will not be tolerated outside of India period! If however some investments are made in modernizing the property, especially the rooms, this will be a great place. Food and service were good, no complaints there. Lots of potential, provided management wakes up and starts to keep up with the modern times!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Visa2015
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were looking for a short holiday and choose this resort. It was worth choosing. Beautiful location........sea can be felt from the room. Seafood on the seaside made with local spices was mind blowing. A vast resort , well maintained with all facilities . sumptuous breakfast lay out. The general manager along with his staffs took individual care of the residents.
And the best part was....... One can spend the whole night in the beach in arm chairs, I myself was there till one at night. Except the security persons, no one was around.
The holiday worth to remember nd cherish.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms r only worth staying.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We were travelling as a family of 4 (not young children but 17 and 21, well travelled and discerning). After a long flight it was lovely to be greeted so well. We were early so we had to wait a bit for our rooms, but that is acceptable. We were in the old part of the main building and contrary to some recent reviews were very happy as the rooms were spacious and had a beautiful view over the pool, trees and with the beach and sea also in view. The bathroom was a bit small but perfectly acceptable. We ate in the Seagull restaurant for breakfast x 2, lunch x 2, and dinner x 1. The staff were very kind and looked after us very well. We also ate in the fish restaurant on our 1st night, quite expensive but very fresh and great cocktails. We used the spa and that was beautifully relaxing, a bit expensive but a nice luxurious experience. The trip to Mamallapuram was really worthwhile with very interesting temples. The only disappointment was having to pay for wifi. I imagine this wouldn't be great for business people in particular.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lise_D2
kuala lumpur
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Woke up to an intense urge to run away from routine.Fingers hovered over the keyboard.Where would I go and not return to a feeling' of OMG!i need a holiday from this holiday.'India?I must be mad!Vivanta by Taj.Oh well ,I've seen worse so why not.I took the trip.And to cream my eclair I decided to invite my disgruntled spouse along.Nothing like pain shared.
The aircraft cruised over the intense city of Chennai and I pacified my heart.We would be far from the maddening crowd anyway.I clutched my bag tightly as the car wheeled and reeled through the traffic and the police stops .An hour and a half saw us slide into a tiny slip road leading to the hotel.An oppressive security check point and we arrived to another apologetic security scan.We were whisked off to reception ,toweled and watered with a delightful aquamarine lime drink.I actually felt I was in a well oiled factory line.Our holiday concierge was amazing and so professional.Before I could catch my breath ,we were in our room and oh my !My breath caught.!A beautiful room over looking the pool and in the infinity ,the bright blue sea breaking her waves aggressively.We had booked in for three nights.We walked up to the beach front and guzzled on eye popping mango juices and shrimp,pampered by the hovering anxious staff,walked for miles on the beach watching the fishermen fish off the sea,finished laps in the lovely pool ,reminisced at the cosy bar,stuffed ourselves silly at the main restaurant.I won't apologize for talking food.For me it was like having died and gone to MSG free heaven.I could tuck down all this amazing food without a reaction.How cool was that!!! Although the Vivanta is a beautiful resort ,well structured ,combining the old and the boutique wings,sprawling gardens,safe pool,a great state of the art gym with fine trainers,a nice spa a great fit for kings dining areas , all that shrouded my senses was the fact that, here was this amazing group of staff ,working tirelessly to make our stay a phenomenal experience.There were no shortage of smiles ,never a request unattended to and an ever omnipresent air of happiness and pride in their work.I must say I have never experienced this atmosphere in all my travels and stays.i can't put a name to it but we left feeling heaven on earth had been handed to us for a little while.And if you are reading this till the end ,rainbows end at the Vivanta.

Room Tip: The new wing is high tech but the old wing is quaint and charming with wooden stairs and more vibran...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suntanKualaLumpur
Bolton
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Vivanta by Taj, Fisherman's Cove, Chennai
Arrives here after a week in a "City Business hotel" in Bangalore and what a relief to be by the beach and step up in luxury.
We were met on the steps by traditionally dressed staff and given shell necklaces and a cool drink before being led into the air-conditioned library to check in - again cool wet towels were provided.
This is a 2-storey hotel overlooking a fabulous pool with swim-up bar and opens directly onto the beach.
As well as the main hotel there are numerous chalets with hammocks set amongst the trees.
The hotel rooms are enormous - sea-views for rooms at the front. Big main bedroom then a hallway, dressing-room and through into the bathroom.
2 restaurants - the main restaurant is fine with plenty of choice (although note that the cheapest bottle of wine available is over £50 so get your driver to call in at the "wine shop" before you get there!). The beach restaurant is superb. Live music but not so loud as to spoil the sound of the waves breaking a few metres away and the food and service were excellent.
The beach has a raised platform with chairs and a table - perfect for a last drink overlooking the ocean. The "shell" seller may still be there to buy painted shells and conch shells from- ask the security guard/life-guard nicely and he'll put the lights on for you!
Will be back!!

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Covelong
MGM Beach Resorts
#5 of 27 in Mahabalipuram
Nungambakkam
Taj Club House
Taj Club House
#17 of 395 in Chennai (Madras)

Been to Vivanta by Taj - Fisherman's Cove? Share your experiences!