“Jelly fish attack!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Covelong
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
“Jelly fish attack!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had gone with my friends for a two day trip to fishermans cove. We didnt do much on the first day. We spent some time at the pool and spent the night at the beach. The room and service was good as always except for the lunch buffet which was Rs.2100 plus taxes! They had couple of activities at the resort and so we thought we could try one. We went for catamaran ride. They took us in a boat and stopped somewhere in the middle and we jumped into the water. While we were playing, I suddenly felt a shock on my leg and started shouting. One of friends told me that it was some plant when comes in contact with the skin it ll burn. Then I started to untangle, thinking it was some plant. The next minute another friend of mine started shouting and we all got really scared and shouted on top our voices. It was burning as if my legs were set on fire! We asked the person to pull the rope and finally got into the boat and realised that it was jelly fish! Then i realised it was not a plant and I literally touched and felt the jelly fish on my legs. We were hardly there for 5 mins, and our skin was burning so badly that we almost cried and my blood pressure went down. They brought us back to the room and gave us vinegar.'Vinegar neutralises the poison'. That was what we saw while googling. But still we weren't convinced and asked for a medic. That guy was so sick. We saw the fishermen who came with us asking the doctor 'do you know jelly fish'?. We were like 'what'. We came to know that he was a 'so called medic'. Then we rushed to the nearby hospital and got ourselves treated and came back to the room and slept. That day was just a mere disappointment. I know it was totally unexpected, nevertheless the fishermen could have been even more cautious and alert. We din really enjoy the trip because of that incident. It was truly a nightmare. The burning sensation was there for a couple of days. I still have the marks on my leg. It's been a week now. The reason am sharing this is to avoid such incidents and don want you guys to be disappointed as we were. If at all you are planning for a ride then:
1. Pls beware and ask the fishermen to look around if there is any jellyfish around and then get into the water and ask him to always be alert.
2. If you happen to be attacked, as soon you come to the room apply as much vinegar as possible.
3. Take some antibiotic or some allergy tablet. We took Allegra, as recommended by the doctor.
4. Cover yourself fully to avoid this cos one of my friend was in her tracks while I was in my shorts and got the most if it!
I should agree it would have been real fun if not for jelly fish. Still I would recommend this ride as it was still an experience!! Have a nice trip, cheers!

Room Tip: I have stayed in both sea view and garden view cottages. Not much difference between the garden view...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sobna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

After stayed at Taj hotel in the center of Chennai , we moved to Fishermans Cove. it was a nice place ". W stayed in small cottage and have a nice meal outside our cottage.We altso have barberque at the beach. The spa was very good. And cheap. We will be back next year.

Room Tip: We stayed at small luxery cottages. Very qiuet near the beach. The swimmingpool and bar in the swimm...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at Fisherman's Cove in March 2013 and found the property delightful, with good amenities (great pool, fabulous breakfast buffet and a great beach. Most of the property was in fabulous shape, though their tennis court that needs some serious upliftment , However, for a hotel that isn't cheap by any means, its reservation department seemed lazy - or at least, not proactive at all.

I first contacted them 45 days in advance to book a room on a fully-paid, non-refundable advance deal that needed to be paid one month ahead of arrival. First the reservations manager (Gautam) wasn't able to run my card to charge for the room in advance, but we sorted out that issue after I made several long-distance calls to the hotel. On all those occasions, I was the one chasing up the hotel - leaving messages for them to return calls - which I rarely got. But what I was most disappointed with was the following:

I'd asked to stay at a Garden View cottage that some friends had stayed at earlier and I described the exact location of the cottage (closest to the outdoor restaurant and one cottage away from the Sea View Cottages) since my friends didn't remember the number.
When I reached the property, I recognised the cottage immediately from the description my friends had given me (closest to the outdoor restaurant and one cottage away from the Sea View Cottages), but that wasn't the one they had allotted to us.
I happened to meet the guests staying at that cottage (no. 3) and they had booked AFTER me, so clearly, that was available when I had put in my request. This is exactly the sort of detail I expect a Taj hotel to help guests with. It wasn't a big deal, but it would have made a lot of difference if I'd felt I was being heard by the hotel - especially since I must have talked to Gautam on 4 separate calls on this issue, five, if I count the call I made to him at the property itself.

The outdoor BayView retaurant has a fabulous location, and dinner by the sea under a fat moon was the highlight of our trip. Breakfast was also very good. I would recommend the property, though I'd say, keep a week of frantic calling to ensure your reservations!

Room Tip: Cottage 3 - but only if you remember the number. Just don't expect the reservation department to...
Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at The Taj Fishermans Cove in one of the seaside cottages. The view and the breeze is great and so is the food. However, the cottages are not maintained according to Taj standards. Ours had a broken bathroom door and a foul smell in the bathroom. The breakfast buffet is great and the staff is very helpful.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

We live very close to Fisherman's Cove (30 mins) and yet wanted to stay at this hotel before we left Chennai. We had a great time at the hotel, kids enjoyed running thru the hotel, enjoying the many items that the hotel had to offer. The evenings and the early morning were awesome not just in quality of the hotel but the many avenues available for recreation. The sunrise the next morning was outstanding to say the least, kids enjoyed the dirt bike next to the beach.

The food was the only sore point, compared to some of the other Taj hotels, the food quality here was average. Paneer quality wasn't upto the mark. Although the F&B manager did come and speak to us about our grievance, we still felt that the food quality wasn't great.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SUBODI4R
New Delhi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Spent one night en route from Pondicherry to Chennai at this Taj property. We were given cottage C1 - this has the worst location of all the cottages but since we were there only for a night, we decided not to try and change the cottage.

The room was spacious and comfortable - the outdoor shower was the highlight for me.

My son and I were able to play tennis late at night and early in the morning on the hard court which has flood lights and is reasonably well maintained. The hotel had thoughtfully made arrangements for racquets and tennis balls, and we really liked the fact that we could play at any time.

Try and get seating as close to the beach at the Bay Front seafood restaurant for dinner - may need reservations for this seating.

Room Tip: Cottages C4 to C6 are the best, followed by C3, then C2; C1 has the worst location.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We were there for 4 days, the resort is really beautiful, the property is located right on the beach, the swimming pool is awesome, it has a bar and it is huge. They have a very very good spa - Jiva spa of the Taj, which I would recommend. Do take atleast one treatment there, you will not be disappointed. But book in advance.
There was one problem and that was the corporate conference crowds. They take over the pool and its a little uncomfortable and annoying having loud shouting men splashing around all over the pool when you want to have a nice leisurely swim and relax on the deck chairs. Which is the basic idea of a holiday isnt it ??
The room was very good.
The restaurant Bay View just on the beach was awesome.
We were very lucky to be part of the Turtle walk, which involved releasing the tiny Olive Ridley hatchling turtles back into the sea. That was an experience I will never forget, and I appreciate the hotel for playing such big part in conservation of these turtles.
The moonrise from the beach is breathtaking so if it is a full moon night do not miss waiting for that spectacle. It will take your breath away.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Covelong
Grande Bay Resort and Spa
#2 of 27 in Mahabalipuram
MGM Beach Resorts
#1 of 1 in Muttukadu
Nungambakkam
Taj Club House
Taj Club House
#16 of 386 in Chennai (Madras)
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,053 reviews
The Leela Palace Chennai
#1 of 386 in Chennai (Madras)
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,250 reviews

Been to Vivanta by Taj - Fisherman's Cove? Share your experiences!