“A holiday to remember!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Forsyth Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Satpura National Park
Forsyth Lodge
Brookfield, Wisconsin, United States
“A holiday to remember!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Have spent a better part of my life travelling through various national parks in India ..by far Forysth at Satpura is leagues ahead ... The serene surroundings...the hospitality of Rishi and his absolutely fabulous team - their knowledge of local customs and wildlife only makes the experience of living in the clean comfortable rooms & exceptional service an experience to remember!
The personal care taken by the staff from your arrival - the safari - the food makes it as though you are visiting friends..A definite must for a family holiday!!

Thank you and will be back when I am in India again !!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Hamid1212
Rishi S, General Manager at Forsyth Lodge, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Hamid,

Thank you for the lovely review. It was a pleasure having you here at the lodge. I am glad that you had a good time at the lodge. We will look forward to having you here with us again soon.

Rishi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

We visited Forsyth less than a month back, and it was an unbelievable experience. The reserve itself is fantastic, and with a variety of safari options, we got to immerse ourselves in the forest. However, the experience of the reserve is only possible due to the efforts and enthusiasm of the team at the Lodge. We were extremely fortunate to be able to interact with the entire team, including Hashim- the promoter of the Lodge with vast experience in Indian sanctuaries. The discussions about various ongoing developments at Satpura and other wildlife destinations made us feel as if we too were a part of the team, and it honestly was the best choice I could have made to bring in our first wedding anniversary. It really is a must-visit, provided you go for the experience and not to sight a tiger per se.

While everyone was outstanding as is the Lodge itself, a special shout out is a must for the guidance of Surya (the naturalist who accompanied us at each juncture and whose passion made the early morning safaris a memorable experience!) and for Rishi's overall management and hospitality.

We'll definitely be going back, and highly recommend this property and experience for anyone with a genuine interest in experiencing a true safari away from the concrete metropolises..;)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DGCSekhri
Rishi S, General Manager at Forsyth Lodge, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Desh,

Thank you so much for this lovely review. It was a pleasure having you both here at the lodge. I am glad that you enjoyed the park and the experience we offer here at Forsyth's Lodge.

We will look forward to having you here with us again soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

From the time I arrived for a 5 night stay until I left I was made to feel as though I was visiting friends. The welcome I received from Rishi when I arrived just as lunch was being served was extremely gracious. He arranged for my luggage to be taken to my room and then introduced me to the other guests that were just getting ready to be served lunch at one of the communual tables where they made room for me to sit and join them. It was a splendid start to a very memorable holiday. The other guests talked about the safari that they had been on that morning and what they had seen and were hoping to see. After lunch we were all told what time to meet to start the afternoon safari and I was shown the way to my "mud" cottage which was cool after the short walk from the main building, it had gotten very hot.

My room, #4, was extremely spacious and very comfortable, later I found out that it is mainly for families but since they were full for my arrival I would be staying there. The cottages are sited in such a way that there is lots of privacy and each one also has an outside verandah with chairs and a built in settee with lots of cushions. Each room also has torches for going back and forth at night from the lodge to your room and there are 2 thermos bottles that have potable water from the Lodge so that plastic water bottles are unnecessary.

Ready for my first safari in the afternoon with the other guests we all hopped into the jeeps and sped off to where we were taken to a dock to board a motor boat that crosses the river where the safaris really begin. We all got into the jeeps and then we were really on our way. The Naturalists from the Lodge and the Ranger/Driver from the park were amazing in what they saw, birds that blended in with the branches of trees or on the ground and until it was pointed out by them looking for all the world like a mound of dirt. Then everyone got lucky, it was late afternoon and not at all bright when we were able to see amongst the trees, a sleeping tiger! What is really wonderful about Satpura is that unlike so many of the other Parks the number of jeeps are limited and so there really aren't any traffic jams where you could be miles down the road and not see a thing. It was an auspicious start to a remarkable holiday. For the next few days, on safari, there were deer, both Spotted and Sambar, Gaur also known informally as the "Indian Bison", wild dogs, a Sloth Bear with 2 small baby bears riding on her back as she crossed the road behind our jeep and an astonishing array of birds. One morning with a number of other guests we took a "walking" safari in the Park over some very lush, green small valleys and up into the forest where we stopped by a rest house for the rangers, to have our breakfast. After the walk I asked David, our Naturalist about how many kms we had walked and he said about 6. It was a lovely walk and a beautiful clear cool morning. Just before it was time to get back into our boat to cross the river a pack of wild dogs were on the opposite hills, they had seen our small group and so they were loping along to hide in the forest.

The staff at the Lodge from the chef who created delicious and varied dishes to the young chaps who served our meals and cleaned our rooms all were invariably friendly, always with a hello or a smile. For our wake-up calls we had a choice of coffee or tea with biscuits served in our rooms before heading off on the morning safari and on our return from either the morning or afternoon safaris there were cold facecloths to clean off the dust and refreshing lime juice to drink. Then time to relax and freshen up before drinks from the bar on the open terrace upstairs and a little later dinner would be served. One night we were told that dinner that night would be in the "Bush", we all left in a group with David leading the way and he was carrying a spotlight to point out all the different constellations that we could see, since it was pitch black there were so many that were visible. After drinks and appetizers around an open pit fire dinner was served and it was an unexpected and lovely way to end the evening.

One late afternoon, before dusk I left to go on a night safari with Rishi and Surya, there was a Park Ranger with us and one other guest. What an experience! The driver had quite a challenge driving on an extremely rough road but we did see some animals. An Indian hare, and a wild cat up in a tree but the leopards were not around since there were repairs being made to some of the roads, and there were nightjars on the road. It was easy to take photographs since their spotlights were very bright

The last day I was there I was scheduled to leave in the early afternoon so I opted to go canoeing with a Naturalist and a Ranger to bird watch and to attempt to photograph whatever flew into my view. Luckily, I didn't have to paddle so I could really concentrate on the birds. Watching the sunrise over the river as they paddled to get closer to the birds was magical. Surya was the Naturalist from Forsyth and he has an encyclopedic knowledge of birds and could identify them even when they looked like, to me,specks in the sky. In just a short time I was able to see and photograph so many birds. All too soon it was time to return to my cottage, finish packing and find time for lunch before I left.

The first day I was there on the desk in my room Rishi had not only a welcome letter but also a checklist for many of the birds both resident and vagrant and whether they would visit in summer or winter also a list for butterflies, another one for reptiles and amphibians, spiders and also snakes. I mostly saw birds and when we counted all that I had seen in 5 days it was 90, I was amazed. I hadn't known when I chose Satpura what I was likely to see since it is not a well known Park but I was more than pleased with my choice. I've been to many of the other Parks in India and some of them twice but this was such a nice change. So many of the other Parks are overwhelmed with lots of jeeps that there are traffic jams and all you can see is a cloud of dust. It was really so nice to be in this Park and to enjoy the peace and quiet and when we did see animals we could stop and take photos at our leisure since many times we were the only jeep in the area.

Forsyth Lodge and the Naturalists and the staff are all committed to not only making their guests stay as comfortable as possible but they are also committed to the Park and the creatures that inhabit the Park. Their concern for the environment is evident in the way the Lodge is run and also to the people who live in the area. It was a wonderful stay and I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank judytraveller
Rishi S, General Manager at Forsyth Lodge, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear Judy,

Thank you for such a lovely and illustrative review of the lodge. It was a pleasure having you here at the lodge. The photos you have uploaded are great. We are glad that you enjoyed the experience we offer here at Forsyth's Lodge and we hope that you will be visiting us soon again.

We will look forward to having you here again. Thank you once again.

Doha
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Righto, i have just spent a week each in Pench, Kanha, Bandavgarh and Satpura National Parks. While each park has their charm, Satpura provides you with the 'classic safari' experience. You do not get the feeling you are commencing the Dakar Car Rally as you do at the beginning of each safari like you do in other parks of india!. Satpura is a special place, fantastic photography opportunities as you can go at your own pace. I was fortunate to have great sightings of sloth bear, wild dog, guar, chausingha and many species of birds. Forsyth lodge is in a wonderful setting and is very close to the park entrance. The grounds are great, facilities excellent and the lodge is managed superbly. Rishi the manager and Surya my guide were brilliant. They know the park very well and try exceedingly hard to give you the safari experience you want. Just fabulous.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Raunrauntasol
Dear Angus,

Thank you for the lovely review. It was a pleasure having you here with us for a week. I am glad that you enjoyed Satpura the way it truly should be. Sitting by water holes instead of just driving around in circles is some of the small pleasures that can be had only in this park in MP. Also glad that you like the lodge and the services we offer. We will look forward to having you here with us again soon.

Mount Pleasant, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

I recently traveled to India with a group of student from my school for two weeks, Forsyth Lodge was by far our favorite of the 3 lodges we stayed at. The food, the staff, the rooms were all fantastic!!! The rooms were extremely comfortable, very spacious, even for 3 teenage girls! The staff was some of the most friendly people I have ever met, over the couple days they became close friends of ours, if we needed something they were always there to help. The food was always delicious and always had a variety. The safaris were amazing, the guides were able to identify every animal we crossed paths with, it made the early mornings much more enjoyable. We even got to ride on elephants! Besides safaris, the staff also brought us to the local school where we played with the kids for hours, and walked through the village. It was overall a trip I will never forget. Next time I travel to India Forsyth Lodge will be one of my stops. I highly recommend Forsyth to anyone looking for a memorable time in India!

Thank you Forsyth!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kelsijeanne
Rishi S, General Manager at Forsyth Lodge, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Kelsi,

Thank you for the review and glad to know that you enjoyed the lodge the most out of the places you stayed on your trip here. It was a pleasure having all of you here at the lodge and we miss the fun filled days that we spent with the group. Will look forward to having you here again soon.

Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

We arrived tired after a long and 'typically Indian' road journey from Bhopal to be greeted by Rishi and his staff who continued to make us feel welcome with the most amazing attention to detail. The accommodation was very good and the food was excellent - too much if you weren't careful! As the daytime temperature rose, it was luxury to be able to dip into the swimming pool.
The trip across the river to the Park was exciting and we managed to get a good view of a leopard and a sloth bear. Unfortunately, the night drives were difficult but we did get a sighting of a jungle cat.
As our main interest is bird-watching, we were delighted with our guide who was able to find many species in and around the Lodge grounds as well as in the Park.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ann J
Rishi S, General Manager at Forsyth Lodge, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Ann,

It was a pleasure having you both here at the lodge. I am glad to read this review and thank you very much for the kind words. Great to hear that you enjoyed the experience that we offer here at the lodge and we hope to see you here again soon.

Gillingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Well I am not sure where to start on this, we had come to Forsyth's from Tadoba, where we had seen a lot of Tiger's, and although the experience there was wonderful, the Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! F1 rush around the reserve was beginning to tell on both of us. We had been told by the lady we had arranged the trip through that Satpura was a very different type of reserve with only one Tiger, and so you got the opportunity to walk, canoe, go on an Elephant trek, and the more conventional jeep outings.
Rishi who runs Forsyth's welcomed us, and almost immediately we could see a much calmer, and quieter atmosphere here. The accommodation is more than adequate, with air con and big fans which were needed when we were there as it was so hot(100degree's) Each room had a very nice shower which was well used!! by us, a good supply of drinking water etc.
Our guide for the week was a young lady called Payal, and I have to say if you are lucky enough to get her during your stay, you are in for a real treat. Such a wealth of knowledge of the wild life, and again a very careful and quite approach to all things, which as I am a very serious photographer was a real blessing, I am also very sure that ALL the guides were of the same caliber!!
All in all I think for our first trip to India, this lodge was the jewel in the crown, with the very caring staff, I have just remembered that on our last night there Rishi had arranged for our dinner to be served by the side of the MUCH used swimming pool, with floodlights and all the trimmings, and just for us, very thoughtful, and some thing we will remember for a long time.
So its a big thank you to ALL the staff at Forsyths, and we hope at some point to return..
Highly Recommended....

Stewart and Geraldine Canham...........April 2013..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stewart c
Dear Stewart and Geraldine,

Thank youo for this wonderful review about Forsyth's Lodge. It was a pleasure having you both here with us. We are glad that you enjoyed the Satpura experience we offer here at the lodge. We will look forward to seeing you here again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Satpura National Park
Tuli Tiger Resort
Tuli Tiger Resort
#4 of 18 in Kanha National Park
Pugdundee Safaris Denwa Backwater Escape
Pugdundee Safaris Denwa Backwate...
#3 of 5 in Satpura National Park

Been to Forsyth Lodge? Share your experiences!