2,077 results
All reviews afternoon tea the cottages the main house main restaurant outdoor pool grounds are beautiful spa facilities my mum birthday treat steam room spa break evening meal four poster bed log fire restaurant staff an overnight stay golf course
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have been to this hotel numerous times in the past and adored every second, but sadly this was definitely not the case on this occasion, the grounds and buildings are beautiful, that hasn’t changed but thats where the compliments end. I had booked 2 nights with my husband as a special mid week treat but ended up within a few hours asking to check out, thats how bad we felt we were being treated.
On arrival a young lady checked us in and i can only assume she was on loan from a budget hotel, she was eagerly circling a map with her biro showing us with a flourish where our ‘room’ was like we were on a holiday camp and then added ‘don’t keep your key card with your phone as it doesn’t like it and don’t phone me if you do’ (!!!!) ...although i have to say that we DID try to call her on numerous occasions (not about the key card) but no one answered.
We were told that we could not eat in the restaurant that night as it was full, i asked where we could eat and was told ‘in the bar’ i asked if i could see the bar menu then as I am vegan and i had already looked at the restaurant menu and there was a good choice, there was nothing vegan on the bar menu except for a burger... I did not want to eat burger, i wanted a nice meal/fine dining in a relaxed restaurant, i asked if i could just wait until a table for 2 became available, i was told ‘NO!’ I asked if I could eat in the bar but use the restaurant menu, I was told NO !!! At this point i was annoyed and said i was disgusted in their attitude towards a guest and that i had never been treated like this ever, anywhere before, ...no one cared, I asked to speak with a manager and was told he was not in but was given a card and told to contact him (OH i will don’t worry)
I asked one more time if i could order a vegan option from the restaurant menu and was told that I could, but my husband couldn’t and he would have to order from the bar menu !!!! None of this made any sense at all to me. By now a young man was dealing with us, he was simply cold and just stared at me with no expression, i’m really truly not sure if he understood anything that i was saying, I told him that i would like to check out and he said ‘we will not refund you as thats our policy’
I can not begin to express how disappointed, disgusted, sad and angry i feel right now.
I will never ever visit Eastwell Manor again, I spoke with one of my clients in the area today that originally introduced me to Eastwell Manor several years ago, he told me it had sadly been taken over and had deteriorated greatly over the last year or so, he said he no longer entertains clients there and no longer books functions and lunches etc for his staff.
We decided to leave the premises for the day and didn’t even have breakfast we felt so upset, when we got back at 8pm, our room door was open!!! We tried calling reception but no answer.
I am fuming at the way the staff treat paying guests, it is disgusting and ridiculous that they are so badly trained, they are in the hospitality industry and don’t know the meaning of it
Room details - small but nice, shower room nice, 2 cups but 1 saucer in room, 1 packet of biscuits in room each day lol

4  Thank LJDtraveller
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We found the room ... up steep stairs ... to be small, for a rating one or two stars down. Hard to manouvre... even when the bed was small, too (not king or queen but at most little princess size) with an overly soft mattress -- lack of sleep.
Drinks and dinner ... service was either very friendly, or not so much. Boring wine list, in contrast to the presumptuous atmosphere/service.
And with the marriage craze ravishing the UK ... lots of noise, disturbance of normal guests' service etc. Annoying.
If all this were priced correctly, it would be cheap, but was the contrary.

Room tip: Don't go here unless *seriously* off-season.
1  Thank TheOnlyJoerie
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

For an anniversary "treat" my wife decided to book a stay in Eastwell Manor. For the price of the room per night I was expecting a palace and, to be fair, the room was large and had a number of very nice features, but did not have a fridge (even a hotel size fridge), which was strange for somewhere promoting a 5* experience.

I've read reviews from others stating that there was little information given during check-in and I agree that. apart from being given a map, very little extra information was given. Apart from the staff member dealing with us, the other members of staff in reception were chatting amongst themselves and barely acknowledged other guests who were clearly looking to ask questions.

The main problems started in the evening when we went for pre-dinner drinks at the bar. There was a wedding reception taking place and these guests seemed to be receiving all the treatment (drinks and food on tap) from the numerous staff members. However, for the non-wedding guests there was a single barman on duty, serving up to 15 people at any one time and it took approx 30 mins to get served very expensive drinks. The barman made excellent drinks, but the wait was not only unacceptable for every guest, but the resort was losing money on expensive cocktails and other drinks because of this. Simple economics, get the drinks out quickly, get more revenue in.

On check-in we were told that the only times we could book dinner were 18:30 and 20:45, chose the latter and was informed when we arrived at the entrance to the reception area of the restaurant we had been booked at 18:45. The restaurant was extremely busy and, once we had been seated and ordered food and drink, waited until we had almost finished the starter before we received our drinks, a bottle of champagne, so should not have taken so long to deliver to our table (and the bottle was not chilled). The food was nice and the staff were very accommodating, but were very uninformed about what was being offered on either the food or drinks menu. The staff, despite their generally friendly manner, have not been trained very well at all about any part of the hotel that they have been requested to work in.

The kicker for me, and one which others have been stung by reading other reviews, is that on checking out I paid what I thought was the bill for charges incurred while staying there. On checking my bank account yesterday discovered I have been charged a further large amount of money. So far, I have been unable to find out what exactly this is for. The staff member I spoke to on reception yesterday is new (this is what we heard a lot of during out single night stay, no matter where the staff member worked) and was unable to assist me. I did not receive a call back when I phoned yesterday and am now awaiting another call back today, but am not hopeful of a call.

I cannot recommend this "luxury" hotel for a stay, as there is no 5* treatment (I am struggling to rate the service as 1*) and you may be fleeced of money at the end of the stay with no idea why. Compound this with a number of very frustrating attempts to speak to someone who will explain what the extra charges are and potentially refund them. I am speculating here, but I think someone who works there is either incompetent, or is trying to plunder money from guests and hoping that no one checks their bank accounts.

Oh and when trying to contact Eastwell they operate a phone system that takes 7p per minute. If you want to contact them direct I would advise you to contact 01233 213000 (number 4). This will get you to reception, where a junior member of staff (possibly new) will fob you off and promise a call back with a manager that probably won't be forthcoming.

Setting 5*
Accommodation 4*
Service 1*
Trying to get money back which has been taken from your credit card after checkout 1*

Room tip: Book your evening meal before you arrive. Come for pre-drinks very early, otherwise you may not get a drink before dinner.
3  Thank carlospatrick68
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed here for a two night spa break with my partner, in a Mews Cottages room. Upon arrival we had to wait 20 minutes before being checked in, and given no apology for the wait. We had been told we would get early check in at 1pm with our return loyalty voucher but the room was not available until 3pm. Upon mentioning this at checkout we were told early check in is not guaranteed so please be aware of this as it wasn't clearly communicated. The room we stayed in was lovely and modern, the grounds themselves are beautiful and very well kept. However the spa and customer service was disappointing and not what I expect from Champneys. We didn't receive any milk in our room (not an issue, easy to resolve) but we had to try calling reception 4 different times before someone answered the phone (at different times of the day). We were not offered a tour upon check in at the spa or told our evening meals would be served in the Manor restuarant, we were not given our printed itinery until I asked for it after spotting another guest with one. The towels were often stained and fraying, the hot tub smelt of stale water/wet dog and on one day the pool area was full of insects (see picture) which staff were not making an effort to get rid off. The food on offer was of a good standard but vegetarian options are very limited so if you stay for more than one night you are likely to eat the same meals. The breakfast is limited with no option to purchase any cooked breakfast unlike at other Champney's. No inclusive tea or coffee provided at lunch or throughout the day. The bar ran out of lemon/lime one evening. The spa ran out of towels in the female changing rooms twice. Staff appeared rushed and it felt understaffed at times. All little details but they add up and effect the overall experience and I expect better quality for the price. We would not stay here again but would return to the other Champney's we have visited previously.

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank Collettegibson
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Very, very disappointing. What have Champneys done to this lovely place? Food was no longer fine dining.The hot breakfast was especially poor; cold and inedible. Service was dis-interested and disengaged, in fact it was chaotic and rudderless in both the Manor Restaurant and the Spa. There is no longer a dress code of any sort in the Manor Restaurant: anything goes now. And, at the same time, prices have rocketed. £18 for a small beer and a small glass of wine in the bar? A joke. A similar experience was suffered at the Spa restaurant: poor service and exorbitant prices. £25 for a Caesar salad and a tiny dessert? There is something very wrong at Eastwell. A great shame. Our 5th visit and unless some very basic improvements are made, our last.

3  Thank safariboy60
EastwellM5708, General Manager at Eastwell Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

It is disappointing to hear that your stay with us was not as you had hoped. The entire team is hardworking and dedicated, but despite our efforts at the time, your visit was clearly not as you anticipated.

I do find it alarming that you described the food in such a manner as we are usually highly commended on our offerings. None the less I have taken your comments on board as we are always seeking to improve.

The dress code for our Manor Restaurant is strictly no denim, sportswear or trainers. It is requested that the gentleman wear a collared shirt and a tie/jacket is optional. This is advised to all guests at the time of booking.

I hope you will reconsider visiting us again in the future.

Kind regards,