2,067 results
All reviews afternoon tea the cottages the main house main restaurant outdoor pool grounds are beautiful spa facilities my mum birthday treat steam room lovely setting spa break evening meal four poster bed log fire restaurant staff golf course
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Bought as a special birthday treat that we were looking forward to following a recent stay at St Albans Champneys- I have to say that it was not as polished as it should be for a spa retreat -
Check in was slow and disorganised.
Mews cottage - though we had booked a twin room we were given a double bed - good job I was sharing with my sister! We had robes in the room and it would have been nice to have had the flip flops there rather than collect from the spa
The spa was busy and lounge beds taken up by towels and robes. Areas around hydro area need tidying up. ( filter covers missing) We enjoyed being able to use the sun loungers outside but a waiter service would have been good as the bar waits were too long. At diner in the manor -food was good but service poor - took 20-25 min after sitting down to get any order placed - including the drink order - and we had to chase the wine 10-15 min after ordering . Staff were very open in saying that service was slow as staff were pulled into serving the wedding in another area- which makes you feel unimportant. Some staff were clearly stressed and this came across in their attitude - even though we do not make a complaint to them. A number of staff were pulled into doing different jobs - a dedicated table waiter doing everything from orders to waitering and checking if everything was ok with food and drink would have been better. Breakfast- an offer of hot food or eggs cooked to order would have been nice rather than a help yourself to a someone limited continental bar . Treatments were lovely and staff nice - lunch was a much better experience with service and food tasty.
I think it needs more waiters/ Better co- ordinated service and staff training / happier staff - to turn such a lovely place into a better experience for all guests not just wedding guests - and reconsider the levy on weekend stays as the spa is too busy to relax and customer service fails to meet the increased demand. Would need some reassurances that standards with staff levels and service had improved before returning at the expense paid out. Also I think that the gratuity on everything bought should not be automatically included on bill.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Goobalouba
RSimmsEastwell, General Manager at Eastwell Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent visit to us on Trip Advisor.

Whilst I am pleased to read you did enjoy certain aspects of your stay, it is regretful there were some areas that we fell below expectations, and these will be reviewed within the team.

With time, I do hope you will visit us again, and I am confident should you do so we will meet and exceed expectations.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed in a Mews Cottage this time. Lovely room, plenty of space for us and they put down ‘Z beds’ for the kids which was ideal for a 6 & 8 year old. Food was superb and the kids enjoyed the dining experience without feeling they were unwanted in a predominately adult environment. Which is a shame as in the summer the outdoor pool is great for kids to enjoy and there are extensive grounds to explore.

Bar staff were friendly and helpful as was all the staff we encountered. We look forward to booking our next visit.......

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review, it is most appreciated and it is lovely to hear you are already planning your next visit along with the rest of your family.

Thank you for your kind words regarding our team, it is always nice to hear how team members contribute to making a visit memorable for our guests.

Our forth visit but our first under the Champneys Label
Location and facilities great and it was super but, sadly, it’s now shambolic.

Emails advising dining times ignored – then booked at reception than altered at the last minute on day one and ignored again on day two.

Chef had walked out at our first breakfast so no cooked food. On the second day long delay until, after reminder, scrambled egg served almost cold.

Repairs in room not done as promised. Tea bags etc not replaced in room

No sign of any effective management or control.

4  Thank chireader
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and I were so excited to finally get a night away, as we both work incredibly hard and have a two-year old, where we never manage to have alone time for various reasons. So with the first date night in nearly a year, we were obviously stoked!

I was already nervous before arriving. I had tried to call various numbers before arriving to book treatments and dinner reservations. No one ever picked up. Ever! Therefore I could not make spa reservations and had to go with whenever they chose for us to go to dinner. Lunch we were able to change, but nowhere did it say lunch was on the second day. The website and online booking system is terrible. So that was useless too.

We booked a superior room and were downgraded to a classic. The Front of House Manger had already received backlash from many guests before us (the queue was huge and so many bookings incorrect), that I think he just gave us credit on our account to use in the hotel, to make his life easier. We would have preferred the larger room, but these were fully booked and double-booked! No introduction to the hotel, just here is a map and this is where the spa is. Check-in was so rushed, but with so many guest complaints, I think he was overwhelmed. Tad defensive too.

The room was as far away as possible in the Manor house, but I guess expected considering we had a downgrade. No nespresso machine as per website. The bedding and bed uncomfortable and not what is expected from 4 or 5 star hotel. The bath had issues, namely it would not drain without removing the pop-up plug, which took 20 minutes, and trying to find a 'device' (a Simple moisturiser packet), to try and left it out. The shower piddled with water, nightmare when trying to rinse shampoo out. Getting ready for dinner was an effort before it even began. These things may seem petty, but there was just one packet of biscuits for two people, old crumbled coffee sachets, glasses had smudges, TV not level, lamp not level, hard bath towels, and so on. Again, this is not a cheap place to visit, and not what is expected of a 4 or 5 star hotel.

Service at dinner was okay, as we were booked early enough to get our order in before the busy period hit. Breakfast was a shambles. On arriving, tables were covered in dirty plates, told there was a 20-minute wait for a table and 40-minute wait for food. When the food came out, it was clearly rushed and 'slapped' on the plate. My hubby's food was burnt.

Spa needs a clean! Mouldy, cold and lacking. Just thankful for the lovely spa receptionist, who did her best to help and recommended the Clarins lady for a facial, as there was zero chance of any other treatment.

I didn't bother complaining/raising issues post room mess-up, as there just didn't seem to be any point. I would have ti queue for ages to do so, and would it have made a difference anyway? There was just not enough staff or care.

Such a shame. Eastwell Manor seems to run on an old reputation before Champney's taking over. Fawlty Towers would have been a better place to visit. A romantice getaway ruined. Thankfully, the company of each other is what made it special.

3  Thank Zuki74
EastwellM5708, General Manager at Eastwell Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. It is always disappointing to see a review like this and I do apologise that your expectations were not met on this occasion. The issues you have mentioned are being investigated and addressed where necessary.

We would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss your feedback with you further at any point during your stay with us as I am sure we could have turned your experience round if we were given the opportunity at the time.

I hope to welcome you back again at some point in the future to hopefully improve your opinion of Eastwell Manor.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We booked through online - not cheap but decided it would be worth it. At time of booking it says you have to ring Eastwell to book treatment times.
It took me 36 minutes to get through only to be told were already booked at 6 and 6.30. As another reviewer said - a simple email would have been nice just to confirm treatments and the rest of your itinerary. We arrived at 3pm only to be told our room wasn't ready. He still gave us our key and basic information. If you haven't been here before you need to realise the main hotel in where you check in but the spa and mews rooms are all in another part of the grounds. No robes in our room. Room was lovely. Spa was very tired, damp stains on the walls, coffee stains on floor by day beds, not very luxurious. You have to go upstairs for treatments which were lovely. Dinner was a set menu but with choices, food very average. They add service charges to everything. Breakfast is a continental breakfast & lunch is a set menu again with choices and both are served in the spa so drink wise only water! Lots of hen do type parties so not as relaxing as we wanted. Need more staff and a total overhaul of the spa facilities. The grounds are idyllic but the Champneys aspect is a total disappointment. We would not have paid the money if we knew this in advance. If you get a good deal on groupon which i have seen they do, its probably worth it but def don't go paying full price!

3  Thank 363laylan

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry to read of your comments regarding the food and team, areas we usually receive much praise for. I will of course follow your comments up with the team as consistency needs to be maintained so that all of our guests benefit from the service on offer.

With time, I hope you do choose to come back, and I have no doubt you will enjoy all areas of your time with us.

If you keep your eyes peeled on some third party sites you will find some offers from time to time and if you take advantage of these deals, you will not be disappointed and get exceptional value for your money.