“Pay to dine with a view”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Melasti

Melasti
Ranked #5 of 6 Restaurants in Beraban
Cuisines: Seafood, Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Branch of the Melasti Cafe in Jimbaran.
Kuala Lumpur
“Pay to dine with a view”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

Basically, you are paying for the view and the experience of dining on a cliff overlooking the ocean. The food is not bad but for the price it could be of much better quality. Nevertheless, I think this is much better than the seafood restaurants on Jimbaran Bay, it is definitely cleaner and less packed. The assorted condiments definitely enhanced the taste of the seafood which was limited but fresh. Overall, it's worth a visit especially for some sunset, surf and romance.

• Visited November 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Stunning sunset but not for the food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I and my wife and baby daughter went to Bali to attend my wife's friend wedding and there is a dinner arranged at this restaurant, all the guests are going here for dinner and to enjoy the sunset. The sunset view over the ocean is stunningly beautiful. You can see the bright round red sun setting over the horizon. But the food... now here comes the bad part. Food i think is just average, not that special, the sauce i think it average. But the worst thing is the next day, early morning my wife start to get stomachache, keep vomitting and followed by diarhoea. I thought she's just not well, because we just arrived the night before, late night so maybe not enough rest. But i also started to feel somthing is wrong with my stomach but not as bad as my wife. Then we found out that most of other guests also got the same problems, some even cannot get up the bed and had to skip the wedding reception. The newlywed had to supply Pocari Sweat for each guest. And for me, as i am writing this review, it's been almost a week since i ate at this place and my stomach is still not right, i have taken medication but seems have not really cured. I and my wife just laugh over it, my wife said the bacteria is the best. But if you are looking for the Sunset view, it is worth it, but my suggestion, skip the food for healthy reason.

• Visited October 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Good value nice food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

The view is stunning from this cliff top restaurant that is,primarily seafood. We expected it to be a catch but were pleasantly surprised when the chosen prawns came out with a complementary crab and corn soup then greens rice and assorted sambals and pickle.
Generally ok value and a view to die for.

• Visited September 2013
Hillerod, Denmark
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst experience ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

We have travelled in India, China, South America and Africa where you can find both gourmet restaurant, but also really poor restaurants. But we have to say Melasti takes the price! We have never been to a place with so little love or attention to what they are doing. They have the most spectacular view, they really have. But, the restaurant was awful.

Let us mention some of our experiences there:

The table cloth was dirty - not only on our table.
The menu card was greasy and with a rusty metal clamp. We can only guess on the age of it.
The mango juice served in a dirty glass.
I didn't want to eat there, so I only ordered French fries. They turned out to be all but crispy.
My boyfriend had a chicken with a clear and distinct taste of fish that not even the curry could hide - horrible. They probably used the deep-fryer for both fish and chicken.
The bathrooms are a chapter all by itself. You might call it rustic.
When entering the restaurant there was an open ice storage with a selection of raw fish so you could choose the fish you wanted. However they look like it was several days ago, that they had been fresh, and the flies was sitting everywhere including on the fish.

As mentioned, they view is spectacular, but that is the only positive thing we can say about the place.

• Visited September 2013
Kuta, Indonesia
“Great View, Disappointing (And Expensive) Lunch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

The view is gorgeous from where you are. It's basically a restaurant at the Uluwatu Temple.

With that being said, the food was poor for the value it expected.

At first glance at the menu, you might think the food there is very affordable. Nice 20,000 rupiah! – Then you see the Per 100grams. "Okay not bad. We can get a portion of this, a portion of that." Wrong, the smallest portion you're likely to get is 800g, and you have to choose your food. Typically choice is a good thing, but they expect you to choose the one they pull out, without weighing different options or alternate fish/crab/prawn.

We got the steamed crab, prawns, and grilled fish ($15-20/person). The steamed crab was decent, but plain. The prawns were good flavor, but they left the shell on when seasoned it. So after you pulled the shell off, the flavor that they had intended you to taste was left behind. Even the grilled spinach they served was plain.

We even asked for a recommendation from the server, and she admittedly said that certain options didn't have very good taste.

Despite these other disappointments, the fish had a good, robust flavor.

Atmosphere: 5/5