“My Favorite Place and People”

Echo Valley Ranch & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jesmond
Ottawa
“My Favorite Place and People”
Reviewed August 9, 2007

I have stayed at Echo Valley four times in the past two years, most recently during late July/early August 2007. I hope to visit there regularly in the years to come. It is a wonderful place located in the most picturesque setting imaginable.
Echo Valley is a place where I can unwind, relax, and slow down in the company of interesting people from all over the world. When I visited with my teenagers, they took the active path - horseback riding, fitness center, hikes in the woods and lots of visits to the hot tub. But my style is more to read and relax in the big comfy chairs of Dove Lodge, get lots of massage and spa treatments, and focus on the good things like clean air, no noise, pure water and vistas that leave me speechless. The sunset on Mount Bowman behind Dove Lodge is particularly lovely.
Norm Dove and his wife, Nan, go out of their way to make guests feel at home, in their home. The housekeeping staff keep the rooms spotless, and the kitchen staff (including Chef Kim) ensure no appetite goes unfilled.
If there are negatives they are minor. I wish my cell phone worked there but it's probably as well that it doesn't. A phone in the lobby is available for guest use. I wish there was a TV in the rooms so that I could watch news at the end of the day. There is a huge screen satellite TV off the games room in Dove Lodge and there is wireless internet. And it can become quite cool once the sun sets because EVR is over 3500 feet high. Jackets are recommended even in summer. The days can be hot but the evenings are cool.
Echo Valley Ranch and Spa is not for those who want wild nightlife (unless it is wolves in the distance howling at the moon). But someone searching for a genuine spa experience with outdoor activities in a beautiful mountain setting will not be disappointed.

• Liked — the log construction and views out of the windows
  • Disliked — no TV in the rooms
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
British Columbia
Reviewed August 8, 2007

With Summer winding down and the potential of an increased workload looming the horizon, a R&R getaway was just what I needed. I had heard many great things about Echo Valley Ranch and Spa and made the decision go up there for 4 days. The Ranch is a 6 hour scenic drive from Vancouver and is nestled in the Cariboo Chilcotin Region of British Columbia.

I really had no idea of what to expect at the Ranch other than what I had heard about it and what I had read on their website. I have to say, the Ranch was amazing and I wish I could’ve stayed longer.

On the first night of arrival the staff had arranged for an outdoor BBQ, a campfire complete with a stockbroker-turned-cowboy strumming country tunes much to the delight of all us city tourists not quite used to this type of outdoor hospitality. While roasting marshmallows I could not help but notice the hundreds of stars that brightly dotted the night sky. I came to the realization that light pollution was virtually non-existent here which made my star gazing experience truly mesmerizing.

The next few days were filled with activities. From participating in Thai yoga every morning at 7:00am, horseback riding, fly fishing and hiking, time just flew by. My evenings were spent sampling the various Thai massages offered by the Ranch. I have to tell you that I’ve never experienced more authentic Thai massages anywhere. It was a truly relaxing experience.

With an Austrian chef preparing delicious and healthy meals served 3 times a day, I could’ve stayed in the dining area all day long. Amazing food was prepared and served by even more amazing staff.

The accommodations were first class. I stayed in a large ranch cabin next to the horse stables with a wonderful view of the mountains and surrounding areas. Each morning I sat on the porch drinking coffee, reading a book and soaking in the atmosphere. Good times!

I could go on and on but suffice to say that whether you are looking for a relaxing or active getaway Echo Valley Ranch is the place to be. Check it out!

Stayed October 2006
1 Thank AbdullaVancouver
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 8, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the ranch for a long weekend. The drive up from Vancouver takes about 5 hours, but the scenery is out of this world and there is plenty of breathtaking photo ops, so the drive passes quite quickly.

The ranch itself is nestled in a beautiful valley with spectacular 360 degree views all round. We stayed in the main lodge, which is very clean and comfortable, with plenty of amenities including a hot tub, pool table, movie room, computer with internet access. We spent most of our evenings in the hot tub.

The food was excellent and served in an informal atmosphere allowing you to interact with your fellow guests and discuss plans for the day.

My wife had 2 massages which she was very pleased with (she is a massage practitioner herself, so she knows what's good and what's bad), while I spent the time in the pool and gym.

After the spa, horseback riding seems to be the next most popular activity and they have rides for all levels. A relaxing massage after a few hours on a horse is very welcome!!

All in all, I have nothing to fault, and would recommend a stay to anybody.

Best Bits: Spa, horse riding, the collie dogs!
Worst Bits: Can't think of any

• Liked — The food and location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bully001
PortlandOR
Reviewed August 6, 2007

Everytime I visit Echo Valley Ranch I enjoy myself, I feel pampered and can't wait to come back again. After my 10 visits walking through the front door and receiving that warm welcome just feels like returning home. I hardly know what to admire most the scenery, remote wilderness, the great staff, those horses or super meals.

Every day I get to experience a perfect day ..... start with a soak in the hot tub and a cup coffee at sunrise. After a leisurely stretch, it's a delicious family style meal so that I am ready to hit the trail on those beautiful horses. The wranglers have a knack for making each ride a fun filled adventure and a personal experience to treasure. Then comes the really tough decision for the afternoon .... take nap or have a massage. Well since can take a nap anyday, I prefer an excellent massage (for a truly exceptional experience chose one from the Thai menu) followed by a glass wine before dinner. Simple touches like fresh brewed ginger tea after the massage, or saddling my favorite horse, or birthday cakes specially made show how eager folks at EVR are to make sure that the experience is personal as well as memorable.

I am always amazed by the variety of guests that gather for dinner each evening .. from the local cowboys to the Thai staff to bankers from London, to politician's from Phillipines, or to energetic 10 year olds who toast perfect smores.

This is the perfect vacation spot for those who desire relaxed comfort, combination of sport and pampering, or social experience with global flair.

• Liked — Personal service and range of activity
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed August 6, 2007

My wife and I took our daughter and her fiance to the Echo Valley Ranch for a nice quite weekend. The ranch is out of this world, wide open space, lots of good hiking trails, even a couple of geocache treasures.
The food was amazing, three wonderful meals a day that the chef poured his heart and soul into. What was really interesting was sitting at the table with other people from all over, sharing stories of other visits to the ranch and other vacations.
The staff were very professional, there when you needed them. Meals and events were organized quietly and efficiently. I did not participate in any of the spa treatments myself however, the girls loved them. I spent most of my time out on the trails exploring. You could sit in the hot tub on the deck and look out over the ten thousand acres, watch the horses run, very peaceful.
We went ther with the intention of relaxing and unwinding and that is exactly what we accomplished.
Hats off to the owners and staff of the EV ranch
Bob Mc Kenzie

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — could not find any salt for the shuffle board table
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Bob M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2007

We are just back from four nights at Echo Valley Ranch, which fell at the end of our two weeks self drive holiday in Canada.

We found ourselves (unknowingly, until we arrived) slap bang in the middle of family fortnight, so there were families with young children there during our stay. This was not a problem with most of the children, some of whom were delightful, but for two nights of our stay we shared ‘Lookout Lodge’ with a very noisy party of two families who didn’t seem to mind that their kids banged doors all afternoon and were very ill mannered, when we were trying to enjoy the peace and tranquillity of the place.

The directions to the property were good, but make sure that when you have travelled the 33k up Jesmond Road, that you turn left when you see the wooden sign for the ranch! We assumed it heralded the beginning of the property and drove straight one -we were wrong!

On arrival at the ranch it was difficult to find reception (officially they don’t have one ‘just a welcome mat’ over the door), but improved signage would relieve the frustration after what could have been a long drive! When we did eventually find the main lodge, we were given a very warm welcome and a tour of the place, which was really handy.

Our room was fine – average really. They are spacey enough, and there is a fridge, hairdryer, and we had a small balcony, looking out over the pastures and the mountains. The view really was quite unrivalled. The bed linen, curtains, etc are in definite need of updating, the furniture drawers stick, there was a leak in the bathroom, but the location of the hotel, oops sorry, ranch, means that these things take on lesser importance than might otherwise be the case. We had a king size bed, and there was space in a loft area with an additional bed. If I stayed here again, I would ask for a cabin – more privacy and less noisy. Pine is beautiful – but even bare feet make a loud noise on it!

I found it odd that there were no ‘do not disturb’ signs for the doors, especially as the doors are not locked generally speaking. (there is a latch on the inside).We went for a nap one afternoon and the cleaner burst in. She was, of course, full of apologies, but a simple sign would have prevented any embarrassment.

There is no doubt that the location of the ranch is second to none. The wide open spaces, glorious views of the mountains, huge skies and stunning sunsets, all help to make this a very memorable experience.

We went specifically to ride, and mostly I was satisfied with that. However, like the previous reviewer, we did not get an all day ride which was what I really, really wanted to do. I am a reasonably experienced rider (a bit rusty perhaps) and this would have been the pinnacle for me. Despite promises that our ‘Riding Experience Package’ gave us guaranteed choice of experiences, this was not the case – so for me this tainted our stay. The riding that we did do was great, (although we repeated one trail) and the wranglers were wonderful –Julie, Brooke, Cheryl all work really hard. I thought that the horses were great, well schooled and well behaved. If you stay in Lookout Lodge be prepared to walk through their paddock in the morning after breakfast, when they have been brought up from the field.
Mealtimes at the ranch are an enjoyable affair if you are in the right company – and we were! One of the highlights of Echo Valley for me was actually the other guests. We met people of many nationalities and had a great time. I particularly enjoyed the two barbecue nights, one with a First Nation drummer, and one with two folk singers, guitar players. The last was our final night in Canada and I will treasure the memories of it always, singing round the campfire, toasting marshmallows and generally having a laugh!

Thursdays are Thai nights, and I don’t eat Thai food, but to be fair, I think if I’d told them then it wouldn’t have been a problem for them to make me something else. The kitchen staff work very hard. The food was great in parts (the apple pie and lemon meringue – WOW!!!) and average in others, but then I never did like hot dogs!

Don’t expect a wide choice of drinks – juices, coffee and tea are available all the time. Red and white wine (usual served at the same cold temperature, strangely) are sold at $4.75 CD per glass and are drinkable. There were some bottles on display for you to buy but no one did. Take a couple with you (plus corkscrew!!!) if you think it’s going to bother you. I was rather pining for a gin and tonic towards the end of our stay!

What else to say? We did some of the unguided trails ourselves, watched Brian with the falcons, sympathised with the turkeys in the pen (who regularly appear on the menu) and walked down to visit the retired horses and donkeys. We didn’t try the spa treatments – to be honest with you, I was put off by the prices, which I found prohibitive, especially as we were at the end of our holiday. I was told by other guests that they were very good.

To finish with I feel I must mention the dogs! I arrived at Echo Valley rather worried about this aspect as I am (was) nervous of dogs. I now want one! There are seven resident collies, and various other dogs whose ownership I never quite established, and they will all go for a walk with you if you want. (in fact, it became a source of rivalry – how many dogs can you get on your walk?) They are gentle and great fun, and I miss them!

I agree with the comments of the reviewer below about Echo Valley resting on its laurels but all in all, I think it would be really difficult to have a bad time at this place, just join in and go for it!

• Liked — The location and the views and the horses!
  • Disliked — not getting my all day ride!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank toptourist
Kirkland, WA
Reviewed April 5, 2007

My wife and I spent a week at EVR and what an incredible time! The spa is out of this world, we've never had Thai massages before and we felt like brand new peope afterwards. Question: have you ever traveled and had a hard time finding good food everyday? Well don't worry about that at the EVR, Chef Kim is AWESOME! The food and the way he prepares is incredibly healthy and tastes extrodinary. Be sure to ask for his special cheese cake, it alone is an experience. Horseback riding was lots of fun. My wife is an avid rider but I am a beginner. The wranglers at EVR took me out for 2hrs on a group trail ride and I had a wonderful time, they always looked out for me and it was so nice seeing the scenery through the woods. Lastly if you have ever wanted to see a falcon hand feed and trained you'll be amazed. Check out the photo of Brian (breeder/trainer) and one of his birds. It is a site to behold. We will definitely be returning next year.
Thanks, Rob &Chris (Seattle, Washington)

• Liked — The people
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rbarker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jesmond
Cariboo Lodge Resort
#11 of 43 in Golden
Sweetwater Lane Farm
Sweetwater Lane Farm
#2 of 4 in Pemberton

Been to Echo Valley Ranch & Spa? Share your experiences!