“Be ready for crowd always.”

Palani Murugan Temple
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Palani
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Bangalore
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Be ready for crowd always.”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Don't even think about cleanliness. There are two paths up to the temple from the base. The old steep steps or the circular one with resting spots. Depending on comfort choose the same.

Visited December 2012
4 Thank sushilkmenon

Cochin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Lord Muruga Haro Hara Velayutha Haro Hara”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

It would be a blessing in a lifetime to see Lord Muruga. Lord Muruga Haro Hara Velayutha Haro Hara. The place where the Lord himself tells us that material is immaterial and life is love and kindness towards other living beings.

Visited December 2012
7 Thank DilipKaartic
hosur
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Tamilnadu Tirupathi”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

God exists & he is great , the same again & again proved by the increasing trend of crowd in the temple. This temple has 4 ways to reach the top 1. by ordinary steps,2. elephant steps, 3. rope car, 4. winch car... all the four ways are always crowded in special days ... nowadays the rope car makes people to visit as a tourist place rather than holy pilgrim visit...
but the local govt arrangement for parking & sign boards are very poor ... so pls visit on ordinary days .. i think daily there is golden car program is there at evening which is very nice.
The main god - Lord murgan is made of special navbhasan material ... prepared by Mr.Bogar . due the crwod the made that the sorrounding mandapams are not accessable, i can remember in my chaildhood days we had chance to go there.
Near the Iedunpan temple is also good no one visits .. i also couldnt have to try out on my next visit. the hotels & foods are nice near to bus stand area dont try at near temple. due the mismanagement the sorrounding areas are polluted too much - local government should take necessary actions to keep it clean ... based on devotees donations it is somewhat comapred to Tirupathi.. most of malayalis visit here before starting a business .. like most of indiains visits tirupathi before starting business... Temple adminstartion should take necessary actions to assist visiting poeples.. most of the temple people are money demanding there .... dont give anything to them .. you can simple visit and can go in common visit & can easily access the main god - Mulavar ...
For kids the Winch car & Rope car will be nice entertainment, there is a new park near at the back side of temple on bypass road .. One day visit to Palani is worth morning 7 am to 7pm .. very nice budget hotels are available ...
One thing on the name of donations people spolied the nature of hill temple ...i can feel & visualize the changes ....
God pls forgive & Save us ..

Visited September 2012
6 Thank Mykarthik
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“vel muruga hara haro hara hara”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

one of the world famous temple.i am very happy after visited this temple.20rs for horse ride(bus stand to near the entrance)after 700 steps darshan,temple provide full time (8 am to 10 pm)free meals,very very nice view from on top,free darshan and 10rs ticket darshan,thrilling rope ride and comfortable darshan.

my suggections please avoid agent of god(not real priest),any food items keep inside the bag or cover on thirumala bcz otherwise monkey disturb you and shoes and any valuable item keep proper place.

Visited October 2012
8 Thank Smile1431
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“My golden step to Palani Hill's Murugan temple in India”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

After an early check-in at LCCT(airport) in Malaysia for my flight to Tiruchirapalli of India, I was off in the sky at 0740 hrs ( 7:40AM) in Malaysia time, destined to reach Tiruchirappalli (TRZ) Civil Airport on Sat 02 Apr 2011 at 0855 hrs ( 8:55AM) in India time. The flight took about 4 hours, and upon reaching Tiruchirappalli (TRZ) Civil Airport, with an estimated cost of RM1000/ USD329/ 15,006.8 Indian Rupees for this trip, I promptly took a taxi to Palani Malai(hill) to visit the Subramaniar/ Murugan Hindu Temple at the hill's peak. The taxi charge for a 2-way-journey, as I intended to return to Tiruchirappalli on that day itself, was Rp2500. An incredibly reasonable amount. The taxi driver's name is Jaffar, and his mobile phone number is 9788190270. The taxi journey from the Tiruchirappalli (TRZ) Civil Airport to Palani Malai(hill) took about 4 hours. Upon reaching the foot of the hill-top-temple, I promptly proceeded to shave my head bald as a symbol of penance and to fulfill a personal vow. I had my hair shaving/ tonsuring done for a mere Rs.10 at a tonsuring shed at the Adivaram, the area at the foot of the Palani hill where there are devasthanam hair shaving places. Actually, I didn't have a choice since in the Palani hilltop there is no hair-shaving facility available. Knowing very well that there is a precondition that one must take a dip at Saravana poigai, wear the veshti and then climb the steps to enter the temple(The belief is that an individual’s sins are washed away once he takes a dip in this pool), upon getting my head shaved bald I bought a veshti(towel@sarong type whitish cloth) that was to be worn after the shaving and bathing, while chanting "OM Saravana Bava", at a public bathroom with water@teertham from the Vaiyapuri Lake. Once I had completed the shaving and bathing process, I headed to a nearby stall to buy all the necessary prayer items before embarking on my climb up the Palani hill holding a pot of cow's milk, by using the not-so-steep-stairs of steps to reach the Subramaniar/ Murugan Hindu Temple at the hill's peak. There is about 650 steps altogether. After about 300 steps, there is a fork of two paths. The right-hand path is of the same steps, and the left-hand path is an "Elephant path" which is like a plain road with a slight elevation. I chanted "OM Saravana Bava" at each step of the stairs. It had a holy feeling!

Upon reaching the peak, not only did I realize that I had to refrain myself from using my camera as taking photos is not allowed inside the temple, but I also realised that I could have bought all the abishegam(prayer) items, Malai, Pauthu Vechty and Salvai for Murugan upon reaching at the top since there where several similar stalls there. Furthermore, I had to keep my footwear and camera in my knapsack bag since footwear are strictly not allowed inside the temple. I successfully completed my prayers, and passed all the prayer items, with the help of a priest there, as an offering/ archanai to the main Murugan idol placed in the main alter. This idol, made from a special material known as 'Navabashanam'(a mixture of 9 minerals) has proved on numerous occations over the ages to have a great medicinal value. Navabashanam medicinal values are absorbed in the abishegamed milk when poured on the idol. On a similar note, ‘Raakala Sandhanam’(turmeric paste) and Panchamirtam(sweet fruit jam)is left covering the idol for 48hours, and as a result is believed to have curative powers. Hindu worshipers believe if this sandhanam and Panchamirtham is taken/eaten continuously for one mandalam, that is forty eight days, it cures off all the diseases in the body and soul.

After completing my prayers there, I bought 10 packets of Palani thirunuru(holy ash) and Panchamirtam sweets before decending the the hilled-temple. On my way down the hill, I could see the farm-like-green-fields nearby. The authenticity of this temple has been well preserved away from the hustle and bustle of town life. Upon reaching the foot of the Palani hill I noticed that the Adivaram, the area at the foot of the Palani hill is filled with 1-storey shops selling nearly everything for locals and tourists alike, i.e. prayer items, silverware, pots, scultures and paintings. Since it was already nearing 4pm, I rushed to the nearby car park where Jaffar the taxi driver had promised to wait for me, had a quick lunch at a nearby restaurant, and joined Jaffar on a 4-hour-journey back to Tiruchirappalli. On the next day I went to Tiruchirappalli (TRZ) Civil Airport for my flight back to Malaysia at 0925 hrs in India time( 9:25AM). I checked in timely at the Tiruchirappalli (TRZ) Civil Airport. Soon, at approximately 1540 hrs in Malaysia time( 3:40PM) on Sunday 03 Apr 2011, I was back home in Malaysia.

Visited July 2011