New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in KIzkalesi
Port Ludlow, Washington
“Not too bad.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Our daughter Corrine wrote a very detailed review of our family's stay. I agree with everything she stated so I will not repeat the details (Please see her review). In my eyes the resort wasn't too bad, and I sure have stayed in worse. My biggest issue was the confusion and attitude that was displayed when we first arrive and being told we had no reservations. Of course it was all blamed on the travel agency. It took awhile and it was all worked out by the manager or maybe he was the owner, I do not know.
We spent almost 6 weeks in Turkey with our daughter's family and had an outstanding time. This one incident at this one resort was the only thing on the whole trip that stands out. Except for the hot weather we had on many days. I don't like hot weather.
Its good to stay in new and different places. My wife and I have our favorite places to stay when traveling, but we like to try new things and places.
If we ever visit that city again I'd like to try another resort, but I would not be afraid to stay at the Barbarossa again. The food was good, the grounds well kept, nice pool, and the beach location was great with the Island castle just off shore. Just about the best view on the whole beach. From our hotel room we had a good view of the castle.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GaryHPrice

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Turkish first
Adana, Turkey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

The Barbarossa is a decent hotel where Turkish hotels are considered. All the hotels in Kizkalesi seem to have an inflated version of themselves when it comes to the 5 Star hotel rating. Maybe they grade themselves on a curve only with the other Kizkalesi hotels? I dunno, but Barbarossa nor any other hotel in “Kiz-Town” are the 5-4 star ratings that most their signs suggests. Normally when we visit Kiz-town I stay in a hotel that I’ve grown fond of. But this trip I was forced to stay in the Barbarossa for lack of vacancy at our usual spot. The Barbarossa is friends with many travel agency’s or owns contracts with them, therefore a lot of people I know have stayed there through package deal accommodations, whom said it was good or the best, but I can only think they came up with this assessment due to their lack of venturing to stay anywhere else within the city to compare. First off, parking is always difficult in Kiz-town. While checking in, we discovered that we had reservations made, but they did not submit it in the system due to a technicality that they did not receive a faxed copy of the reservation! So we were subjected to many a fierce clicking (the traditional noise Turks make when they disagree, or are upset at someone/something) and scolding in broken English by the receptionist. Then we had to wait 20mins for them to move rooms around to accommodate our previous reservation. Meanwhile our children are restless and the grandparents are tired wanting to relax in their rooms, not wait in a lobby. During this time a supervisor arrives on the scene and apologizes for the mistake and the receptionist’s attitude saying it’s a training issue on their part and no fax was ever needed. Furthermore I paid attention to what rooms and keys they gave us. One was a family suite and the other a queen size bed room. I promptly picked up our luggage to deliver to our rooms, when the Doorman refused to allow me to carry it. Accepting his services I patiently followed him while he took us to the wrong room. (Which I told him it was the wrong room and we need to switch with the grandparents). Not listening Or not even using common scene that he dropped a five person family off to share a room with one queen bed, he left me in a room that was not even ready and had maids still cleaning. Meanwhile he leads our elderly grandparents up three flights of stairs to our family room. The grandparents get confused thinking the room and extra space is theirs and they are much enjoying it and start to unpack! Going upstairs I correct the mistake myself and start moving the luggage to their proper rooms. While moving the last piece of luggage the Doorman shows back up seeing me carrying luggage again and takes it from me to carry. He then delivers it with me to my room, and realizes his mistake but does not offer any apology, but stands waiting for a tip; which I still pay him to get him to leave. During this time the grandparents have walked back down the stairs to their room which is now smaller and mediocre in compare to the family suite, so they are slightly disappointed not to mention winded and take a nap for the rest of the evening missing time with the family. The rest of the stay was fairy nice. The pool is enjoyable but it was other Turkish families whom were guests staying there with their friendly attitude that made it so. We ate in the covered court yard, but it took a lengthy time to receive our drinks while we say waiting in the heat and even longer to receive the food. But the food itself turned out good. The Barbarossa’s dinner buffet is good and comparable with many other buffets at the surrounding hotels. One great feature is the Barbarossa’s beach front where they have designated lawn chairs and umbrellas just for their guests. All the beach hotels have this but an employee was on the beach keeping track of the chairs and which were still being utilized or empty, therefore he was able to single out front row chairs to designate us to sit at. Barbarossa also has WIFI, but in our family suite the WIFI only worked in the living room area, not the bedroom. So as I said the stay was OK, but when compared to other hotels in Kizkalesi my experience was not as good. The Barbarossa is more expensive and the rooms actually smaller than the other hotel –which is even closer to the beach.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Corrine R
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

This place has so much going for it and, yet, it lets itself down.

On the plus side, our room was in one of the four of five villa complexes that share a pool, terrace and kitchen, living room and laundry - but there are five/six separate rooms that each have their own bathroom and private balcony(ette). For us, it worked really well and having the use of the semi-private pool was a real bonus. Other swimming options are the resort pool or the more popular seaside area with shady cabanas and masses of cushions to laze around on.

Our room was on the small side but the bed was comfortable and there was a/c and a bar fridge.

The resort is about 3 km out of Kas town but there is a local bus every 30 minutes from early morning till late night that costs 2.25 TL per person and the bus takes about 20 mins. The hike to the main road is only 400 m but he final 200 are very very steep.

Our Rate was half board which meant that we had breakfast and dinner included. Breakfast was not much different than in other Turkish hotels but the things that struck us were that you pay extra for fresh squeezed juice or omelettes and, otherwise, the assortment of items is extensive but not that inspiring. It is also not well organised so, for eg, things that should be side by side are some distance apart or urns are not marked showing which is hot water and which is tea.

Dinner is a bit the same. The buffet food is a bit uninspiring and we opted from some local returners instead.

But the central issue that seems to interrupt the flow of this place is communication. There are a couple of staff whose English is excellent but it is very awkward to have any discussion with many of the staff or to have them understand what it is you might be asking for. Many of the staff are very young and seem grossly undertrained or inexperienced in hospitality or food/beverage service. Some wear an identifiable uniform and others are in beach clothes. There seems to be a lack of structure or supervision and the result is just a bit inefficient and lacking. Systems and processes see to break down - many wines on the wine list are not available because it hasn't been updated after the resort bought different ones. It took three requests over several hours to get a sink plug delivered and, ,when it arrived, it was the wrong size. It took 25 minutes to get two cocktails during happy hour but this seemed due to the young staff not knowing how to make a margarita and then spending 10 minutes smothering it in fruit.

These are the issues that prevent Barbarossa becoming the place that it could be. We enjoyed our time and were comfortable but, with a little effort, this place could lift to something special.

Room Tip: Definitely pay for the sea view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wheretonext63
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

we stay there in june that was absolitely amazig hotel lovely meal good staff and very helpfull reception and we kept our room extra 3 hours they didn t charge anything thank you very much for eerything again....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Fowey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

We arrived here for a four night stay ans on being shown the room we were to have I was ready to leave. Very few of the rooms here have a decent view. After a lot of complaining, we were allocated a junior suite which was really lovely and with a fabulous view down the garden to the Kizkalesi.

Although the temperature was still in the 30s, there was nowhere to sit outside underneath a parasol. They'd all been taken away for the winter, as had the outside restaurant tables and chairs. It was as tho' the whole place was going into liquidation! Dissapearing as we looked on.

The restaurant - staff canteen morelike, was noisy and seemed unfriendly, and the food was to be found in strange places miles apart. Water at one end, juice at another, buffet in the middle and hard boiled eggs and chips (at breakfast?), were somewhere else. We were on half board and the evening buffet was the mornings leftovers in mayonnaise! I am not joking when I say this and was horrified to realise that I'd just eaten some cheese and processed meat that had been on the breakfast buffet for hours. Even the chips reappeared in mayo for dinner. We gave up and went out after that! Health and safety? Not!

Although this hotel gives itself a lot of airs and graces, there was something rather seedy about it. As if no-one cared. The staff certainly didn't!

The Bararossa has one true star. She is the Receptionist and her name is Havva. She was helpful, attentive, caring and, most importantly, she could smile. If only she were in charge of staff training, the whole hotel would be a happier place!

Room Tip: Only stay in a room with a view of the kizkalesi. Otherwise don't. There are other hotels with g...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
20 Thank SeagullFowey
Jerusalem Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

Be sure that what you see in the pictures that this hotel publish in its website and what you get in reality is totaly different.
We have stayed in April, and were promised to have a buffet breakfast and a buffet dinner. But since we were the only (!!!) guests in the hotel the meals were served not in a buffet style.
The outdoors swimming pools were empty of water, the place was dirty (why to keep staff and water and pay so much if anyway no guest comes).
We wanted to use the gym but some of the athletic facilities were broken.
We wanted to use the indoors swimming pool, but it was half full, dirty and not heated.
After one night we decided to leave.
Staff is very helpful and nice.
The location is nice, infront of the sea and the castle.

Maybe in the summer it looks different.

Room Tip: You will see it from your window if you got luck and only in case you take the suit.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank barbyguy

Travelers are raving about these KIzkalesi hotels

Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

Barbarossa This is a good hotel. Staff on reception was very frendly.The room is spacious, clean. Dinner was good and varied, but the breakfast was worse. I think that it is the best hotel in kizkalesi. I can recomend for staying.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ilya K
Also consider these accommodations in or near KIzkalesi
Hotel Mediterranean Resort
#7 of 19 in Silifke
Hotel Rain
Hotel Rain
#1 of 5 in Kizkalesi

Been to Barbarossa Club & Hotel? Share your experiences!