“Not as good as it thinks it is.” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
New Place Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shirrell Heath
worthing
“Not as good as it thinks it is.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

We were enticed into staying here partly because of the location and partly because of the stunning photos of the exterior main house. However, the vast majority of the rooms are in chalet type blocks off to the side, in a complex of buildings which had the feel of a Butlins holiday camp (and a map to suit).

The place is geared up to business conferences and those group bonding trips where leadership skills are tested. That's fine if that is the purpose of your stay but if like us you are just a normal guest, this all made us feel rather uncomfortable.

The state of the rooms are ok - probably just above Travelodge standard. There's no aircon. So the window had to be open and it was quite noisy (lots of young men on Leadership skills trips who had been bonding in the bar).There was a little mould around the shower (which could have been sorted by buying a cheap shower door plastic strip).

A few annoying issues also made the stay uncomfortable. The drinks are incredibly expensive. The TV remote is like a child's toy and often doesn't work. If you order a morning paper you have to collect it from the main reception which is in yet another building in the complex - though we weren't told this until we phoned to ask where it was and was told we had to collect it - the rain was hammering down so we cancelled that.The staff were slightly aloof.

All in all, we didn't think this was a great choice for the casual traveller.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 007rjc
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Top Traveller Tip
Please review the Venues website as we would hope this will help manage your expectation and assists in your choice!
Dear Traveller
Thank you for you feedback as with any business we are only what our guests think of us, and I am sorry that you felt uncomfortable here. I would urge all travellers on Trip Advisor to view our website where we have a site map of our venue to which you refer, where also I believe we give a honest description with actual pictures of our Venue and the rooms. I do hope by doing this it helps manage guest expectations and their choice of whether we would be suitable for their needs.
The De Vere Venues New Place main feature is our Manor House which has the restaurant, bar, coffee lounges and meeting rooms in, as it is so picturesque it will always be our lead photo on all website but is supported by a description clearly stating our bedrooms are separate from the Manor House.
Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

Six of us stayed here for a Girls chill night and we had a lovely time.

I have stayed at a couple of other De Vere hotels before and have to say this is the best one I have stayed at.

From the moment we arrived, the reception staff were warm and welcoming and provided all the information we needed on the Restaurant and Leisure facilities.

Our rooms were lovely and clean and the beds very comfortable. Tea and coffee is provided in the room.

We then used the Leisure facilities, the pool, Jacuzzi and Sauna. Everything was clean and tidy and a pool towel is provided in your room. I cannot comment on the Gym as we did not use that. Whilst there is not an actual spa to be pampered, there are a couple of beauticians in Wickham a mile away. We had a pamper at Bay Tree Beauty before checking in to the hotel.

On the recommendation of other reviews, we decided to eat from the set menu in the restaurant. Although it is a bit more expensive than having the bar menu, the quality of the food was excellent. The duck I had for my main course was cooked beautifully and the staff in the restaurant were warm and friendly. Definitely the right choice for occasion.

Breakfast was delicious and of a good quality. It was rather manic as there was a wedding party there but that didn't stop us enjoying it.

Overall, an excellent stay and would definitely return again. The only negative is the price of the wine. The cheapest bottle of wine was £19 which I think is a bit extortionate. Most restaurants would offer one for £15. People would be inclined to buy more I am sure if it was a more reasonable price. Because of this, we chose to hang out in the coffee room after dinner and take advantage of the free coffee rather than move to the bar. Something De Vere as a group should maybe consider going forward as I believe the price is the same at all of their hotels

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review and I am pleased that you and the ladies enjoyed your relaxing break here at New Place. I am especially pleased you decided to eat in the restaurant based on the reviews, and found the food to be excellent. I do hope we can welcome you back to De Vere Venues New Place.
Wetherby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

We have now stayed at this hotel four times using their cruise stay and park facility, returning from our latest trip earlier this week, and we can genuinely say that we have never been disappointed.

The rooms serve the purpose well for a one night stay, the included dinner and breakfast are excellent and served in the beautiful main building and their is plenty of car parking space in the hotel's extensive grounds.

Transfers to and from the docks in Southampton take approximately half an hour each way, are included in the cost of the package and are very efficient.

Service from Reception was very friendly and efficient and their is a pleasant lounge with coffee etc available for guest use free of charge. Free Wifi is also available free both in the rooms and lounge.

Room Tip: If joining a cruise with a fair amount of luggage, ask for a ground floor room near Reception when b...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review, and for returning to us for your fourth visit. I am so pleased that we continue to serve you and I look forward to welcoming you back.
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

New Place is a lovely manor house built in 1904 designed by Lutyens in an Elizabethan style. The main building houses the restaurants and bar, as well as conference facilities. The bedrooms and leisure area are in separate blocks.
Breakfast is great, the pool is well maintained, the bar meals interesting, and for children there is lots to explore.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with your family. I do hope we can welcome you back to New Pace.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

The accommodation I had was in a chalet style building, it was clean, and very spacious. The bed was very comfortable indeed and allowed for a great nights sleep. The staff were very nice, Daniell at check-in was efficient and had a great personality while the restaurant staff were all smiles and very accomodating. The grounds of the venue are large and I would recommend a walk along the trail round the hotel, quite beautiful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear guest
Thank you for your feedback especially regarding my team. Danielle will be delighted and very encouraged to get a special mention. I do help we will be able to welcome you back to New Place.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

I have just got back from a 2 nights stay at the de Vere new place!
I thought it was absolutely amazing! Me and my partner had a lovely walk around the hotel! Went for a swim used the available in the pool area! Everywhere was clean and tidy! I booked the hotel over email and i have to say the lady I spoke to was always more than happy to help! On arival we was greeted my a very helpful gentleman that was also very willing to help! We didn't eat at the hotel as such we just had the nibbles from the bar area but even that was lovely food!
All round amazing location and facilities! Highly recommend!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Jo J
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback I am pleased that you enjoyed your weekend with your partner. Sutanu was the gentleman that welcomed you I will pass your kind comments to him. Thank you for your recommendation and I hope I can welcome you back to New Place.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

I stayed at De Vere venue New Place for 3 nights, last week, from the moment I arrived I was delighted. The staff were friendly and helpful. My highlight however, was the food. The menus were exciting and not was I expecting. I had a struggle each day deciding what to eat, every dish was beautifully presented and freshly cooked, wonderful! A special mention should go to the lovely young man who cooked my eggs every morning, just so genuinely friendly, thank you

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Bluegirl88
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind feedback on Trip, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, especially the food and service, thank you for the special mention for John our breakfast chef, he is a great team member and he will appreciate this feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to New Place.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shirrell Heath
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#19 of 24 in Southampton
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,605 reviews

Been to New Place Hotel? Share your experiences!