“De Vere Place for a Wedding!”
Review of New Place Hotel

New Place Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shirrell Heath
Reviewed May 5, 2013

De Vere New Place is a stunning historical building set in breathtakingly beautiful grounds. The setting is perfect for a wedding to remember. Sitting on the raised patio with the building behind, overlooking the lush lawn grounds, sipping wine and eating olives, served by a friendly staff in wonderful sunshine was heaven! My daughter, her partner & myself arrived as guests for a wedding at 1 pm & although official booking in time was 3pm, we were just booked in right away. Staying in the cute little chalet type rooms slightly separate from the main building, the helpful staff changed my room so that it would be a bit closer to my daughter's without any fuss whatsoever. The room was small, but it was clean,modern & tidy, with nice fittings, though a tad short on shelf space & coat hangers.
The pool is not large, but you can do a few lengths & enjoy the spa & sauna, or work out in the gym. I also enjoyed exploring the grounds & there's also a nature trail. The wedding went smoothly and the whole occasion was made memorable and wonderful by the staff and having a sensational location, inside & outside.
Breakfast had an additional bonus; poached eggs freshly made on request, as well as fried eggs! An excellent selection of breakfast choices to suit all tastes. Overall, the whole experience was one I will treasure!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear FairMaid008
Thank you for your revue of our Venue here at New Place, I am so pleased you enjoyed the wedding, and had opportunity to explore the grounds. Your comments are very encouraging especially about the staff and the fact we helped to make your experience one to treasure. Helping to deliver experiences like this is why we get up in the morning, thank you so much.

Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed with my partner it's a beautiful peaceful place, was lovely to turn up and realise that all the rooms are like shallys! Lovely room nice bathroom and a very comfortable bed, staff are very welcoming, will be returning soon!

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear EmmaEEE
Thank you for your review on our venue at New Place I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with your partner. I look forward to welcoming you back, please look out for our “summer Lovin” offers.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Spent two days for training at the hotel in April excellent hotel, staff very friendly and helpful. The rooms and food were of a very high standard. Used the gym and the pool during my stay also, a very pleasant two days, thank you.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank patricia p

Dear Patricia P
Thank you for your feedback on our Venue at New Place. I am very pleased you enjoyed you stay whilst training here, I do hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed at the New Place Hotel for the first time .The staff were very professional and helpful .The facilities were first class in the hotel and the reception team made sure i was aware of every facilities that was avaliable to me. The food in the restaurant was five star and matched any five star restaurants in London .The service was first class but unattrusive .On the sunday the hotel was full of wedding guests and we still received the same first class food and service.Overall my stay at the New Place hotel was first class and the hotel amenities were first class. I would recommend this venue to any on that wanted a wonderful venue with first class amenities food and service

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Chris M

Thank you for your review on our Venue at New Place, I am very pleased that your first experience was great, and thank you for your recommendation, I do hope you will visit us again when I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just before viewing the new NCL ship Breakaway my wife and needed a place to stay near Southampton but for a Sunday night also looking for a deal.....being a typical travel agent!
We have stayed at De Vere hotels before and these are their conference and venue selection, which you can take advantage of at very good rates etc. This property lived up to our previous experience , good location interesting original building good service etc.
We arrived late as usual and received a very nice welcome from the reception staff who swiftly gave us the room etc...and a map, frankly more by luck than judgement we drove round the corner from reception and found room 14.
Furnished as a double first thing is the quality of the decor and fittings, really good work space with double sockets etc, always useful! Nice bathroom and flat screen tv.
Sadly we didn't,t get time to use the spa facilities buy they did look pretty good.
Breakfast was excellent buffet style in the old house
I will stay here again in May when I come down for a conference

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank travelfoxYork

Dear Travelfoxyork
Thank you for your great review on our Venue at New Place. I am very pleased especially that you are a “typical travel agent” as my team and I find your professional review on your experience very encouraging.
I look forward to welcoming you back in May.

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel few times.
Nice breakfast buffet.
great for a country hotel lovely walk and great gym facility.
Staff very friendly and helpful.
Highly recommend this hotel if you want to visit Portsmouth and Bournemouth both destination are easily accessible within few min to the motorway
Visit again soon.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Y-S321

Dear Guest
Than you for your great review on our Venue at New Place, I am so pleased that you have enjoyed your previous stay and returned. Thank you for your encouraging comments reference our staff, and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

This is a hard place to review as we came away with mixed feelings. As the accommodation is not actually in the main house one stays in 'mews' which are adjacent to it. It was odd as it had a weird feel that felt a bit like Butlins, or staying at Kellerman's (Dirty Dancing) due to the ‘activity areas’, in the evening it felt like there should be some form of entertainment room where there were performances going on.

As previously mentioned by someone this is more of a venue for conferences and business meetings and not for a regular hotel break. I think I was expecting there to be an element of luxury as it is part of the De Vere group, but sadly it was not to be. The room was an ok size although the bed was small, there was no form of air-conditioning, nor was there even a fridge in the room. I at least expected there to be a mirror on the wall in the main bedroom but there wasn't, it was hidden away in the cupboard.

The main problem we had was the heat in the room, even though it wasn't a hot day the room still got very warm at night. To combat this we had to sleep with the window open, which then meant we were woken early in the morning with people rolling their bags past our room (very noisy over bricks) and children screaming, oh and the cleaners who felt the need to hoover at 8am!

To combat the heat we asked for a fan to cool the room down a bit, and we got one (after asking twice). The fan made the room more bearable however even with the window closed we were still woken early. Cleaning wasn’t all that great either, if one moved any piece of furniture it was clear to see that their cleaning regime didn’t include moving anything, or cleaning under the taps.

Free wifi was a nice touch and that work all around the area, although not in the leisure centre. Parking was tight but we always managed to find a space.

The only saving grace for this place was the leisure facilities, a decent gym and a nice pool - but if one is going away to relax then this isn't the place to go. Despite some ok customer service we won't be returning again as we felt we needed a break to get over this break. Even at £20 a night we felt a bit cheated and should have just got a decent night’s sleep at a Travelodge

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Top Traveller Tip
Dear Travellers reviewing the website with it’s description with actual photo’s of the Venue and site map will help manage expectation of what the Venue is, it’s layout and has to offer.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shirrell Heath
B+B Wickham
#1 of 1 in Wickham
Holiday Inn Fareham Solent
Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel

Been to New Place Hotel? Share your experiences!