“Excellent value”
Review of New Place Hotel

New Place Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shirrell Heath
Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is what it says on the tin - a conference/event venue. However, much to my surprise, this fact didn't prevent it also being better than half decent hotel. It looks the part (ok, slightly institutional rows of accommodation blocks, which have a slight feel of Butlins about them), impressive manor house style main building, good range of leisure facilities, nice grounds etc etc.

The staff were very professional and smiling at all times. The room on the small side, but clean, warm and well equipped. The restaurant served a short fixed menu, but it was nicely presented, and the brisket was excellent!

Managed to get this place for less than £55 B&B, which is absolutely brilliant value. Will definately be returning

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Mick D

Thank you for your excellent feedback, I am pleased you enjoyed your experience at New Place thank you for your comments regarding my team they are very encouraging. I look forward to welcoming you back to De Vere Venues New Place.
Mark

Write a ReviewReviews (1,456)

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I live in Guernsey and stop off at the De Vere New Place frequently for a quick (wonderful) breakfast on route to business meetings. I stayed overnight last week as I had two meetings back to back.

The staff are always so welcoming and I cannot rate them more highly. Yesterday four of us were waiting at Southampton airport and Guernsey was fogbound. The De Vere held four rooms for us at no charge which we eventually didn't need but I cannot praise them highly enough for appreciating our situation and being so accommodating. Wonderful service - thank you so much.

Myself and my colleague stayed overnight between meetings and were very welll looked after

Room Tip: Ask for a double even if you are on your own. The single rooms are like student bedrooms
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Peter M

Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased that you eventually had a safe journey. The praise for my team is very gracious, I am pleased we could be of service. I look forward to welcoming you back to De Vere Venues New Place.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed here for one night as we were at a wedding locally (not at the hotel) and so for us the location was ideal. The room was located in one of the newer wings of the hotel and was clean and well appointed, the bed was comfortable and we had a good nights sleep. Breakfast was served in the main house (if it rains you'll need an umbrella to get to the house) and although the food was fine the atmosphere was a bit chaotic. The cost for the nights stay was very reasonable. This hotel is fine for an over night stop or a conference/meeting venue.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Travelcritic30
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Traveller Tip
Please review web site and site map which clearly shows layout of the Venue as this may help manage expectation.
Dear Travelcritic 30
Thank you for your review on our Venue I am pleased that overall you had a pleasant stay and a good nights sleep but disappointed on the whole it was only an average stay. I do hope we can do better if given the opportunity to improve on your overall experience on your next stay, when I hope we can welcome you back as a valued guest.

Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

From its name I expected a new build, yet it is an old manor house with out buildings. Quite business orientated catering for training days etc and it is quite set back from Portsmouth and Southampton (£22 taxi) the main house is beautiful with pretty gardens etc.

Accomodation is modern and well presented with a nice bed and bathroom, the walls being a little thin.

The breakfast was lovely, yet an addition to the room rate of £7.50 each

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your constructive review On your stay at New Place, it is much appreciated.
I hope I can welcome you back in the not to distant future.

Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in room 32, arrived at 1730, check in was prompt and efficient, we arrived at our room to discover no remote control for the TV, we contacted reception who sent someone 20mins later with a remote that didn't work, he went and 30 mins later another person turns up with another broken remote, I asked to be moved but she left saying she'll be back, finally 30 mins later a working remote arrives, we sat around for a hour and half in limbo. The room was ok, dust on ledges, black marks and coloured splashes on bathroom tiles, hair behind bathroom door and generally lacking any attention to detail. The main bar is awkwardly laid out and cannot sit many people, get rid of the big furniture and have small tables and chairs. The bedside tables are at a dangerous height with sharp corners, move them before going to bed, my partner banged his head on the corner on the first night. Very dissapointed visit and we will not be going back, we'll stick to a better known chain next time.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Have been staying here on and off for some time. Great location, amazing historic buildings and a spa pool and sauna to boot. De Vere use this hotel to front most of their brochures. Service just gets better every time we go.

• Stayed: February 2013
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear Oceandave
Thank you for your feedback I am pleased that you have enjoyed your return stay with us, and we keep improving. I do hope your next stay will be even better I look forward to welcoming you back to New Place.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Arrived Sat 23 Feb left Mon 25 Feb. Greeting was welcoming and very courteous. Unfortunately stayed in Room 42, it was in an accommodation block that can be a bit noisy, if there is someone in the room above, you can hear their shower and toilet. The place was almost full so not much choice on rooms. The swimming pool was warm and the Jacuzzi lovely and hot. One of the reasons we came here was for the food. We had phoned in advance and booked a table in the restaurant and informed them that Teresa was coeliac. When we went into the restaurant we had a lovely greeting and Teresa was given the menu with items ticked for gluten free. A choice of 4 starters, 5 mains and 2 desserts. Teresa had, Ham Hock and Pea Risotto, Baked whole megrims and Fresh Fruit slices, she was also given Gluten free bread. I had Goats cheese Pannacotta, Beef, mushroom and stilton casserole and Warm Cherry bakewell. The food was excellent, although we could have done with a lot more vegetables, it is a bit fancy cooking. There was a birthday party in the dining room so it was a bit noisy, but the service was good. The breakfast was buffet style, lots of choice, Teresa could have all the cooked items except the sausages. I just stuffed myself.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room in the chalet block, with no-one above you.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and found the food to be excellent. I do hope we can welcome you back to New Place in the future and perhaps stay in either block1 or 2 which I hope would fully meet your expectations.
Kind regards.

The Winchester Hotel & spa
The Winchester Hotel & spa
#7 of 13 in Winchester
Holiday Inn Fareham Solent

Been to New Place Hotel? Share your experiences!