“they put me right out !!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Mill Forge

The Mill Forge
northern ireland
“they put me right out !!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2007

myself and deanie went to stay at the hotel. we had a great time. the only thing they put us right out 2 hours before we were supposed to check out. poor deanie was upset and was so restless on the trip back to northern ireland. my bad foot gave me problems as i had to climb stairs to my room and i spent a couple of hous soaking my foot to ease the pain. food was great (im a salad person) and myself and deanie had a great nights sleep

Stayed April 2007
2 Thank billybuck

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2007

We got married at The Forge on 10th March ,and stayed at the Mill for 2 nights .
Just the two of us attended -but that didnt matter ,we felt very special and had a wonderful time .
We stayed in the bridal suite -which I have to say was fantastic .The room and bathroom was huge -and beaufifully finished .The whirlpool bath was very romantic ,and was just lovely relaxing in there feeling like a princess on the day of the wedding .
The actual wedding service was all I had hoped for ,again in beautiful surroundings -and although it was a cold day,it stayed dry ,so we managed to have some pictures taken in the very scenic gardens .I would strongly recommend Emma Wyper ,for piccies ,very resonably priced ,and we we thrilled with the pictures .
Bar staff very friendly, food in restaurant a good average .
Breakfast was good -although too early,and really found the 10am departure too early ,and wonder how safe it really is to be driving at that time after celebrating the night before .
However I dont want to end on a negative note .we were made to feel very special and our wedding was all we wanted .
Infact are hoping to go back for a night in the bridal suite on our first wedding anniversary .

• Liked — huge room and sexy bathroom!
  • Disliked — overlooked carpark
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank mercersholidays
southend
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2007

We had our wedding at Mill Forge this month but were frankly disappointed. The Forge website refers to the location as that of quiet serenity and being a peaceful country location away from traffic, but we were dismayed to find it was in fact just a couple of hundred yards from an extremely busy and noisy motorway on both sides and we wondered how we would hear the piper we'd booked with the din of the passing lorries.

When we arrived we discovered we were the only couple there and the place felt pretty soulless. Bearing in mind the staff weren't exactly rushed off their feet we were surprised no one could be bothered to show us to our room, we were just given a key and told to find it ourselves. The 'deluxe' room we booked was OK with a four poster bed and whirlpool bath, but with a view of the carpark and motorway.

The main impression we got at the place was one of overt commercialism and that we were just one of many passing through the system. To top it all, the minister we picked - Mr Dennison - was one of the least endearing people I've ever met and failed to inform us about an important requirement which ended up putting an extremely costly spanner in the works and nearly meant cancelling our wedding. If I had known then what I know now I would definitely have had my wedding elsewhere and chosen a different minister. We would recommend the photographer we had - Paul Taylor - who was both friendly and professional.

Stayed April 2007
4 Thank bucksfizz21
cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2007

Got married at The Mill Forge on 14th April, and it was fantastic!
Everyone was very helpful and eager to help make our day really special.
The Forge itself is beautiful, and Rev. Dennison was a lovely man. Colin Wyper did our gorgeous photos, and Gretna Flower Basket made up the flowers better than I even imagined.
The Mill is a lovely place to stay, I can highly recommend the Bridal Suite. The food was excellent and we were made to feel at home by everyone we dealt with.
If you are thinking of a Gretna wedding this is the place to go!!!

• Liked — The Bridal Suite - the bathroom as big as the bedroom!
  • Disliked — Nothing!!!!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank justapril
belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2007

just back from getting married at the mill in gretna. would like to say fantastic place. stayed in the double deluxe room no 6 which was beautiful had eveything we needed. got married at the forge which is also beautiful inside. reception was very private in the upstairs breakfast room . staff very helpful and friendly. meals fantastic. we had our hair done my michelle and make up by kirsty who did a fantastic job .better than i could have imagined.
bar staff very helpful also. disco that evening shared with another bride was great . would highly recomend to anyone to get married here . i came away very happy and enjoyed my day ever so much made to feel like a milllion dollars and the most important bride there. cannot fault anything about this place at all

• Liked — had every thing in room ironing board etc
  • Disliked — not a thing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank laraine07
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2007

We had our wedding at the forge on 8th April 2007 an are already looking forward to returing!

The whole day, venue, staff, meal, room etc was superb (bridal suite 31) and it was a day/night that we will never forget.

From our arrival we were treated as you would expect and the staff made our day more special. Even the external sources for hair, makeup, piper, photographer etc which were recommended by the Mill were excellent.

Hair and Make Up - Michelle
Piper - Craig Irving
Photographer - Carrie Irving
Gretna Flower Basket - Ask for Karen

We had a meal upstairs which was secluded off to a small area for privacy (although the upstairs is used for breakfasts) and was empty. The meal was ecxcellent ( I recomend the steak, it was delicious!).

We received a complimentary botle of champagne, two whisky glasses, chocolates and had the breakfast delivered to our room which was also excellent.

To sum it up, if you are considering the Mill Forge as a venue, do not think twice, book it straight away! Also, the exteral sources are highly recommended at reasonable prices.

Thanks to the Mill Forge for making our day so special and unforgettable.

Mark and Nicola.

• Liked — Spacious, clean, romantic
  • Disliked — Nothing, all top notch
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank markandnicola
Gateshead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2007

This is probably one of the only reviews not from someone who just got married, but from a guest.

My girlfriend was a bridesmaid at her brothers wedding and so I was invited along.

The Mill Forge is a lovely place, all built of stone and feeling really historic (although it is anything but!) and very nicely done out.

In the main building there is a bar with seperate restaurant area, then a function room where they have reception 'breakfasts' and another room upstairs which is where the breakfasts are served.

We had room 34 which for £80 per night is pretty much as you would expect from that sort of price range, the bathroom looked like it was brand new, and although there was no bath, the shower was simply amazing, in fact the showers were quite a topic of conversation on the day!

I think we must have had one of the 'deluxe' rooms as our room was significantly bigger that some of the others, the grooms parents room had about a metre of space around the bed, and that's it.

What I saw of the brial suite was fantastic, with a four poster bed, sofa, and a bathroom which itself was bigger than some of the bedrooms (no joke!)

The only difficulty I had was the early mornings, as you can imagine after having been up late at a wedding the night before, getting up for breakfast at 8am, and having to be out of the room at 10am is not exactly nice. I personally think the 10am checkout is quite irresponsible, after people will have been drinking up to midnight the night before. The standard for the majority of hotels these days is 12noon.

I agree with what others have said about the DJ, he manged to clear the dancefloor with his choice of music, and nobody went back. If you want a decent disco, then take your own CD's!

The ceremony itself was lovely, and I can fully recommend an anvil wedding to anyone considering it. I'm not sure who the MInister was but he was very nice and made a few jokes along the way which helped everyone relax. But at the end of the ceremony there wasn't a dry eye in the house!

They have some lovely gardens to take pictures in, it's just a pity that we had the one day where it was freezing and raining, so we never got the chance to take pictures in there. But there was plenty of time to take pictures inside the forge itself.

Overall, I'm very glad that the bride & groom decided to have their wedding at the Mill Forge, and they were very pleased with how everything went too.

• Liked — Nice decor and rooms opening to the outside
  • Disliked — Check out time of 10am
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
Days Inn Gretna Green M74
Days Inn Gretna Green M74
#3 of 4 in Gretna Green
The Gretna Chase Hotel

Been to The Mill Forge? Share your experiences!