“Some good points some bad!”
Review of The Mill Forge

The Mill Forge
Carnforth, England, United Kingdom
“Some good points some bad!”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The bad

Reception not very helpful! Wouldn't book a taxi for us. The woman from the staff who was our witness appeared sulky and as if she would have been glad to be anywhere than having to witness our wedding. We were asked for our payment from the minister two minutes before our ceremony! There was just the two of us as we wanted a quiet wedding but at times I felt we were left alone too much. The bar manager wasn't helpful when we asked about food served there, we were told we HAD to go to the restaurant as if he couldn't be bothered to explain. It costs nothing to smile!

The Good

Colin Carpenter the photographer was very nice and put us at our ease. He spent a lot of time getting our photographs set up etc.
The chapel looked beautiful and the ceremony was really lovely. The Revd. Jamieson was very nice and the wedding service was just the way we wanted it to be.
The room we stayed in was clean, comfortable and we enjoyed using the complimentary toiletries and coffee, tea and biscuits.
The venue is beautiful, peaceful and scenic.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gillian K
TheMillForge, General Manager at The Mill Forge, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am sorry to read that you found our staff lacking. We rarely get anything but compliments about the staff. However you can rest assured that I will speak with the people responsible.

I was happy that you found our accommodation clean and comfortable.

Wishing you all the best for the future.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We decided to plan our small wedding here with a total of 8 guests.
We had never visited before and only looked at pics online, Once we read all the fantastic reviews we decided to go for it.
We arrived on Sunday 9th Sep and upon check in myself and the groom had a chat with a wedding coordinator who explained what would happen the following day of the wedding and what was to be expected, She was lovely and informative.
I had booked a bridal suite for the two night which was out of this world, Equpped with a HUGE 4 poster bed and massive bathroom with seperate shower and jacuzzi bath.
All the little extras really count, Wine and chocs, Its a really special touch.
My family all stayed in standard rooms which were all lovely too with no complaints from them at all.
The location of the hotel is just of the main road, Do not let this put you off tho as you can barely here the traffic.
We had a family meal on the Sunday the night before the wedding, Which we all agreed was lovely and good value for money.
On the morning of the wedding we booked Complete bride hair and make up and they arrived at around 11am to do myself, Mother and sis in laws hair and make up and we are very happy with the result, Reccomended if your looking for someone.
As we were getting married at 2.30pm by the minister John Carr in the little chapel i was told to wait in my room and someone would collect me and take me to the chaple, Which they did complete with umbrella thankfully :)
The whole day could not have went better, Despite the weather, The minister John Carr was lovely and helped put our nerves at ease.
We booled William Woodhouse photography who also was brillant and took some fabulous photos.
If you are thinking about getting married here, Do not hesitate.... Weddings is what they do and they are fabulous at it!!
Thank you the Mill forge for the most AMAZING wedding ever.... We will be back next year for our anniversary!!

Room Tip: If your getting married you must book the bridal suite, Its lovely and romantic with special touches...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lesley4ramones
TheMillForge, General Manager at The Mill Forge, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you very much fro taking the time to write such a flattering review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your time in our care.

It is also nice to read that the other service providers also played an important part in your day.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We got married here on the 11th of September 2012 and we cannot fault any of it.
The venue , the staff , the food .. all brilliant!! They made my wedding day really special.
Thanks to the Mill.
Mr & Mrs Dodds x

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jojo939
TheMillForge, General Manager at The Mill Forge, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a positive review.

I am delighted that you couldn't find any fault with the services we provided.

Wishing you all the best for the future.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stayed at the mill forge for our wedding on the 27th of August best day of my life the service was great liz the wedding planner was so much help with our little girl as their was only the three of us carrie took our photos again she was great and really took her time the food was great even tho it rained it still was the best day ever I would recommend the mill to anyone who wants to get married and its just the two of them as they really make you feel like you are the only ones getting married that day even tho there was four other couples

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank noreen23
TheMillForge, General Manager at The Mill Forge, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you very much for writing such a wonderful review.

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your wedding with us and wish you all the happiness possible for your future together.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

we attended a wedding party and were impressed by the location set in the countryside surrounded by farm animals. The building and chalets were full of charm with many outstanding historical features. However that is where the plus points end. The room we were allotted was very clean and comfortable apart from very rough towels and unhygienic wooden toilet seat. The beds were as hard as rocks and the tv, metaphorically speaking, was the size of a postage stamp. There was an array of toiletries and beverages that was welcomed.
The wedding feast was set in idealic surroundings but there was nothing special to the decor apart from pink serviettes. The food was second-rate. The roast beef was tough and chewy and the vegetables, the frozen kind, were almost raw. There was a variety of first courses all very bland but the desserts were very good. The following days breakfast was passable but there was not a continental alternative just cereals and only one type of fresh fruit. I was informed that the scottish breakfast was fatty and nothing special. I also did not appreciate that the times for both the breakfast and the opening of reception were not as punctual as specified leaving us waiting in the inevitable adverse british climate. In all it was a great pity as you could not desire a better venue for a wedding ceremony.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank maria b
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

While I am delighted to read some of your comments, I am concerned by others and will of course endeavour to increase our standards in certain areas.

I would hope to see you again in the future.

London
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

I had my wedding at The Mill Forge last weekend and it was amazing. My guests who stayed loved it too. The service was impeccable the venue perfect and the overall experience was quite simply fabulous.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank RICHARD D
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review.

I am delighted to read that you so enjoyed your wedding at The Mill Forge.

Stoke on Trent
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My husband and I got married here on the 27th August. We stayed with 17 friends and family for 2 nights. I cannot fault the place or staff at all. We had drink and a meal in the bar on the Sunday night, for some of us it was a few to many drinks,
The wedding day ran with out a hitch. Even the fact that if rained constantly all day did not have any effect on the day. The staff sorted everything and my guest and husband just got to enjoy the day. We had Rev. John Carr to marry us. He was great and a number of our guests commented on how lovely the wedding was. Carrie did our photographs and she was great, I can't wait to see the photographs.
I had an amazing couple of days and so did everyone who attended, a lot of people have said they would recommend anyone to get married there.
Thank you The Mill for making our day so special.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sarah C
TheMillForge, General Manager at The Mill Forge, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Thank you very much for your glowing review.

I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful time while in our care.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkpatrick Fleming
Days Inn Gretna Green M74
Days Inn Gretna Green M74
#3 of 4 in Gretna Green
The Gretna Chase Hotel

Been to The Mill Forge? Share your experiences!