“Our perfect wedding day”
Review of The Mill Forge

The Mill Forge
Lancashire
“Our perfect wedding day”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I booked our recent wedding in Gretna as my husband-to -be has been working abroad since Christmas and the local registry office were being difficult and obstructive about his residency status (he is British!). The planners at the Mill were exactly the opposite and (especially Maggie and Liz) were nothing but helpful thoughout the whole process of booking right through to checking out the next day.

I didnt have time to visit the venue but relied on trip advisor and the comments and photos on here and I was not disappointed...my husband knew little apart from the address and the time of the wedding but our day could not have been any better if we had paid three times the amount and booked the wedding a year in advance (rather than the three months we actually had).
The rooms were perfect, all on one level so it doesnt have a typical 'hotel' feel but our bridal suite was huge enough for me and my three adult bridesmaids plus my mum and two little flower girls to all get ready in. The rest of the 45 people wedding party enjoyed the sunshine and the beer sat outside the bar until it was 4pm and our time to get married..we saw another wedding party going to the 'mill' chapel to marry but it only added to our excitement.

The room were you get married is lovely and looks very traditional but without the limitations of a church..our minister Sandy Jamieson was fab and the ceremony was perfect.. I was lucky enough to have a friend who sang as we entered the room and again during the signing of the register as well as a friend who did a reading and none of this was a problem to the planners or Sandy.
The pictures that family took of us coming out of the mill are stunning and made even lovelier by the bubbles i supplied (although my guests did get told off for blowing them in the mill itself..oopps!)
The photographer (Paul Taylor but it was Carrie who did the photos) lead us around the grounds and we look forward to seeing the pics...the video from the same photographer is excellent and not at all cheesy as we feared it may be for the cheap price we paid.

We enjoyed a glass of buck's fizz and then had our wedding breakfast in the roundhouse, which we had decorated earlier in the day and looked lovely. The staff were so helpful and obliging and didnt complain even when we wanted to do the speeches first and were an hour later eating than expected...they also helped with the cake of cheese that I had organised as a suprise for my husband. The food was lovely although my only constructive critism would be over the mixed veg...it would be better to have one or two veggies rather than three or four all mixed up (although with us being so late, maybe this accounts for the veg not being so great).

My wedding party was definitely up for a party and we continued to enjoy the sunshine and hospitality until the small hours. We didnt expect any entertainment with it being a wednesday but the hotel put a disco on which was a lovely touch..all the guests could enjoy it and they even let us put the cheese wedding cake out with the biscuits and chutneys we got at Tebay service station's farm shop as nibbles so we were eating stilton, brie and creamy lancashire at 11pm. Our first dance was hampered a bit by the fact that our cd wouldnt play but it wasnt an issue as we had a night do organised for the friday so I enjoyed a rendition of 'all by myself' from my friends and family whilst my hubbie tried to get it to work with the help of the DJ who was mortified that it wouldnt work and kept apologising...he even bought us drinks later which was lovely but unecessary as we hadnt expected to even music.

Breakfast was great and it was nice to see a veggie option but most of my guests missed it as they didnt rise until 10am...all in all, I can only highly recommend the Mill as a choice of wedding venue and wish that we could go back and do it all over again. My guests have done nothing but rave about the choice of venue and the whole day and i feel very smug that we only spent 2.5k on the whole day (including dress, flowers, everything) rather than the 20k that friends have spent on their weddings.

Thank you especially to Maggie and Laura who i remember being so lovely but also to all the staff including the chefs, bar staff etc who helped make our day absolutely perfect.

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for the bridal suite...was lovely and the bathroom was huge!!
1 Thank lizjane79
TheMillForge, General Manager at The Mill Forge, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write not just a wonderful but also a very detailed review.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of your time with us and have written such complimentary comments.

It was our pleasure to have you as our guests and we look forward to welcoming you back for an anniversary.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
SAINTHELENS
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

I would like to thank all the staff at the mill for making our day so special ! We tied the knot on the 14 th of July and everything was absolutely perfect! The Staff helped and advised us from the very 1st time we met them till the moment we left! All 55 people in our party agreed that it was one of the best weddings they had attended.I Would also like to thank the 3 other wedding parties who shared the venue this weekend for adding to our enjoyment especially the large Scottish contingent! And wish all the happy couples all the very best in the years to come !!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank GOA18
Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review.

I am overjoyed to read that you and all your guests enjoyed your time at The Mill Forge.

Regards & thanks again

Manchester
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Me and my husband got married here on 23rd june 2012, we couldnt of wished for a better place to get married. the manager Graham and the wedding planner Liz were amazing as all the staff at the mill are.
The rooms are fantastic especially the bridal suite, can not fault this place and would recomend to anyone to get married here :) mr and mrs pollit, Manchester

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank milo2008
TheMillForge, General Manager at The Mill Forge, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a great review.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us.

Burntwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2012

The Mill Forge is a beautiful romantic place to get married and is very reasonably priced. The expert wedding planners guide you through the whole process right from the initial booking. The gardens are kept in perfect condition and look great on the photographs. Rooms are very clean and comfortable, loved the free biscuits and wished I could take the bathroom home. The food was fabulous both at the wedding breakfast and in the restaurant the day before. All 46 of our guests said they had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Our wedding party booked out most of the hotel and all of the rooms were lovely.
2 Thank Joy B
TheMillForge, General Manager at The Mill Forge, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed al aspects of your time in our care.

Best wishes for the future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2012

WE got married here 25/07/10 and it was perfect. I can not thank everyone enough for how helpful everyone was to ensure that our day was special. We had 30 guests who all stayed on site, the room were basic but no-one complained and everyone had a decent nights sleep. The bridal suite was lovely, with a whirl pool bath which helped us to relax after the crazy day.

We had the main room in the shape of a horseshoe for our meal - which was beautiful - roast beef dinner, in my opinion still the best wedding meal I have ever had (maybe I am bias) but we got fantastic compliments from all the family who all enjoyed their meal.

There was another bride that day but to be honest it did not matter --- we still had the perfect day.

I think the disco in the evening could have been a little more up to date and lively but that is a minor point.

I would recommend this place!!!

1 Thank Allylou2002
TheMillForge, General Manager at The Mill Forge, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review.

It is very pleasing to read that you enjoyed your time in our care. Chef will be delighted to hear that your wedding meal was the best you have ever had.

Best Regards

Coalville, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Just back from our wedding on 19th July 12 and what a fairytale feel wedding we had. We had a party of 21 and we had not 1 complaint about the place. The hotel itself is set out within beautiful grounds ideal for wedding photos and not to spread out so not a long walk from one part to another. The food in the pub on site - superb - and reasonably priced. The bridal suite was 'wow' stunning - champagne and chocolates, tv and stereo, and 'wow' to the bathroom - spotless and spacious. The wedding itself went 'better than I expected' - short, very sweet and John Carr (Minister) just seemed to add his touch to the whole ceremony and make it feel special. The photograper (Captured by Carrie) was brilliant, nothing was too much trouble and he always had a smile. Michelle (Au Nateural Mobile Hairdresser) was my saviour - on not knowing what I wanted a week before - she so calmly did my style with perfection (thanks Michelle x) And last but no means least Maggie - what a star - wish the world was full of more people like you, she co-ordinated like a true professional. Wish we had stayed up there for longer. :)

2 Thank Ali50nH
Thank you for making the effort to write such a flattering review.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed all aspects of your time in our care. That you have positively commented on our meals, accommodation and the service levels means that we have all done our jobs right.

Regarsd & thanks
Hartlepool, England
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My daughter and her fiance had their wedding at the Mill Forge last saturday (14th July). I had never visited the place before so was a little apprehensive but I needn't have been. The hotel itself is lovely and the grounds beautiful, although we didnt stay at the hotel so I cant comment on the rooms.

The staff were wonderful. Right from the beginning they were attentive and helpful and made the day go so smoothly, which is exactly what you want on this important day. Then at the reception in the afternoon the girls serving the food were great. The meal was very nice and also hot.

The only downside I would mention is that the evening buffet was definitely not value for money, my daughter paid over £70 and for that we got about 10 hot sandwiches and the smallest buffet I have ever seen which all fitted onto two large plates - that was a bit disappointing I think we should take this up with the hotel themselves and I will report back after speaking to them.

But - all in all the day was fabulous and the bride and groom enjoyed themselves immensely!

2 Thank Kate077
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience of your time in our care.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the ceremony and reception and found our staff to be helpful and attentive, but I was saddened to read your thoughts on the buffet.

Please feel free to contact me directly so we can discuss this matter further.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkpatrick Fleming
The Gretna Chase Hotel
Days Inn Gretna Green M74
Days Inn Gretna Green M74
#3 of 4 in Gretna Green

Been to The Mill Forge? Share your experiences!