“Faultless bar meal”

Dining options: Reservations
Glasgow
“Faultless bar meal”
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

I was startled when I was told were were going here for supper. Living just ten miles away, I'd never heard any reports of anyone eating here, nor seen an ad in the local paper.
But what a pleasant surprise. This unassuming village pub offered friendly service, a great menu, and well-cooked meals. My Grilled Halloumi and Chilli Jam starter was delicious, and a main course special of Pan Fried Duck with real mashed potato and roast veg was fab. I would have preferred my duck pink, but other than that the meal was faultless.
A healthy peppering of locals adds to the atmosphere.

Don't waste money at Gretna Services s couple of miles south. There's a petrol station and shop next door too.

Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Super food, great value”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I agree with Maureen V's review, "Amazing quality and value". Group of us ate here as staying nearby for a skating competition in Dumfries. We had a lovely evening and everyone's plate was empty at the end of the meal, a compliment to the chef. Quite a few of us had the scampi. Generous portions and lovely big juicy scampi, well cooked and excellent chips and salad. Two friends had the special of duck breast which was pink, just right with a lovely sauce, red cabbage and good mash. We chose a bottle of Chardonnay and had a second as it was a wine you could drink, "until the cows come home". Sadly we did not have a room for a pudding, particularly as one of the specials was chocolate and malteaser cheesecake.Very hospitable and great quality food. I wish more pubs could achieve the balance of quality food at sensible prices. Great place to eat if staying in Gretna.

• Visited March 2013
UK
“The lunch was excellent”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

This is a gem. It is a stones throw from the M74 with a menu that is orders of magnitude better than the usual places up and down the road. The ham and eggs are perfect.

• Visited February 2013
christopher r, Owner at The Station Inn, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
thank you for taking the time to review the station inn
Gretna, Scotland
“Mmmmm”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Delicious tea tonight steak done to perfection roasted veg lasagne lush! Will definitely recommend & be back!!

thank you for taking the time to review the station inn
Carlisle, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing quality & value”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Certainly not posh surroundings, but the food was better than many of the meals we've had in much grander venues. My only complaint -food was so good it was all I could do to resist licking my plate & the portions has been so generous that I was too full to manage a pudding!! We had a huge slab of baked brie soft & warm for starters , melt in the mouth belly pork with a delicious cider sauce, Steak & ale pie packed full of tender meat,for main (we disovered the delights of pickled cabbage too). My husband managed the 'fantastic' Lemon Meringue Pie Not only the highest quality but very reasonably priced & wonderful friendly service. We did have to wait a while, but only because everything is cooked to order & they were very busy. If only I lived locally.....

• Visited February 2013
christopher r, Owner at The Station Inn, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
thank you for your review.
and pleased you enjoyed your meal with us.