“Great accomodation, probably the slowest restaurant experience ever!”

Flora I Talay Resort
Ranked #4 of 7 Ko Chang Tai B&B and Inns
Oslo, Norway
“Great accomodation, probably the slowest restaurant experience ever!”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Nice hotel for sleeping. Avoid the restaurant. Food is average/expensive and the service is horrible. Staff is pleasant, but very ineffective.
Our xmas special dinner:
15 staff handling the orders from 10 seated (small) tables spent 1 hour cooking our BBQ meal and still managed to serve it cold. In fact, all of the 3 BBQ dishes ordered was served cold 15 minutes apart (even though they were ordered at the same time). They did not manage to heat them when we sent them back either. We ended up eating the BBQ spears cold (they were cooked though..) Waiters know little english. There seems to be a magical spot where all the staff have to run between the patio and the beach bar. This might offer you some entertainment while waiting for your order which surely will seem like forever!
Basically, enjoy the included breakfast and/or go elsewhere to enjoy the wonderful food Thailand has to offer. There are a tasty street market just down the road. Stay away from the awful Australian place there. They serve not so good tasting "thai" food which he refuses to name in thai original names. Tom Kha Gai = Coconut soup..

The huts however are modern and have AC, nice bath/shower. Bring your own hand soap as they will only provide you with shower gel/shampoo/body lotion. You can buy a big pack of hotel sized soap bars at the nearby convenience store. The housekeeping was nice and super-effective.
The hotel area is nice and clean. Make sure to beat the outsiders to the bamboo seating groups on the beach. Even though it belongs to the hotel, the staff seems to think it is better to let outsiders enjoy them than the hotel guests. Apparently they will put out reserved signs on request for anyone who asks.
The reception is very helpful with most things. If you need a scooter, a boat to go snorkling or a bus ride to Bangkok, just ask and they will fix it :)

!!!!!!!
Keep in mind that the hotel charges 5% to all card payments. So if your reservation isn´t pre-payed you should bring cash. There are ATMs 5 minutes away, but if you are in a hurry..

Room Tip: Choose the beachfront huts, if not avoid the hut next to the garbage area..
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We we're two couples, we got seated at the lounge area and got our menus after that no one came for an hour. We went to one of the waiters and asked if we could make an order and another 10 minutes passed and then we left.

Three different people from the staff knew we were sitting there, the one that gave us the menus, one that we asked for a pillow to sit on and the girl that we asked to come and take our order.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
philippines
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Went there with my husband and 3 yr old daughter. What i like about Flora I Talay is i love, love, love the beach. Sand and water is clean, fresh air. Food is good and also the rooms. For me the room was good for us 3, although there are only few english channel on tv but its ok, I wasnt there for the cable tv. Our room was cleaned daily. We had an enjoyable stay there and will be coming back for the new year however there are still alot of improvements needed for this place to compliment its nice location.

1. Most staff dont speak english. We encountered like only 2 staff with fluent english. This can be a problem when ordering food from non-english speaking staff.
2. We were checked in 2 hrs late since our room was not ready. We just ate lunch and waited for our room to finish. Actually I keep on checking up our room if it was ready since I was tired from the travel and wanted to rest. They were not able to properly explain what caused the delay since staff is not good in english but from what i understand it was because of late check out of previous guest. No apologies given or complimentary late check out offered to compensate what happened.
3. Music at the bar can be irritating sometimes.
4. We had breakfast by the beach and my husbands food arrived so long. I got mine first but was confused why my husband's took so long when we ordered the same breakfast set. Food is not always late though. Ate at their resto couple of times and it was only this one time our food was super late.

But all in all we enjoyed the place and food and would still recommend it if you dont mind the things listed above.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Aileen E
Houston
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

I was very happy with the rooms - bed is not too hard, although a hotter shower would be appreciated. The beach is very calm, with great bamboo loungers shaded on the beach, plenty for the number of guests. The food was good as well, although a 100 baht taxi can take you to other places on the island if you want to mix it up. The free breakfast was excellent with quite a number of good choices. My biggest complaint was the service wasn't stellar.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank aubs_loves2travel
Boulder, CO
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stayed at Flora I Talay for 4 nights in April. It is located on the north part of Khlong Prau beach on Koh Chang. The beach is pretty nice (a bit narrow when the tide is in), and the water is quite shallow and good for swimming (watch out for the stingers). We liked the location, and overall, we liked Flora I Talay.

Our bungalow was right on the beach. Although it isn't necessary, it sure is nice to sit out on your own little porch and watch the sunset over the ocean. The bungalow is of decent size with a comfortable bed, good AC, a mini-fridge, and a decent bathroom. The "hot" water is more like warm water, but it wasn't a problem for us. I prefer to have wifi in the room, but we couldn't pick it up in our bungalow (third from the end). It worked well at the restaurant. Daily maid service was a pleasant surprise.

I liked the food at the restaurant. The included breakfast was decent with a few simple choices. We ate dinner here 3 out of the 4 nights we stayed and most lunches too. I liked the elevated dining platforms with Thai cushions. Great place to have a beer and watch the sunset too.

The only real negative for Flora I Talay is that no one speaks English. They know just enough to understand what you are pointing to on the menu or that you are checking in or out, but that's about it. You can't modify a food order or ask for something that you need in the room. For example, we asked for a bed sheet because there wasn't one on the bed (many Thai hotels don't use top sheets), but they didn't understand. I had to show someone a sheet in order to get another one (they gave me another fitted sheet). Having no one who can speak English means you can't order a taxi, get suggestions for what to do in the area, or get any recommendations at all. And it also means that you will get indifferent service--no warm welcoming smiles, no happy to see you good mornings, or friendly check-ins to see if everything is okay. On their website it says it isn't a 5 stay hotel but they will treat you like a dear friend. This doesn't happen and won't happen until they hire an English speaking staff or at least one person. I hope the hotel remedies this soon.

If you can get past the language barrier, Flora I Talay is a nice place. If I went back to Khlong Prau, I would probably stay there again. The location, decent bungalow, and good food make it a pretty good value.

Room Tip: Splurge and get a bungalow facing the beach.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed here after finding a good deal through agoda. Right on the beach and nice air conditioned rooms (all exactly the same but cheaper the further from e beach you are).

One waiter was so nice and helpful and really funny and warm but the rest of the staff seem very nonchalant and sort of roll their eyes at you. They only speak Thai and look exhausted with you when you try to explain anything to them in English - not very tolerant. Several times we were brought the wrong food (if at all) because they didn't understand us and once when we tried to order something, a waiter ran away when our back was turned. Very weird.

However, felt very safe here and the rooms are really nice. Not sure I would pay full price but its very comfortable here and there's a cheap laundry across the road which was awesome. Food here is ok if you're prepared to spend a but more otherwise white sand restaurants are a 50bht ride away.

Overall pretty good time!

Room Tip: There's about 200 bht difference between the rooms but the ones further back are exactly the sam...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Centara Koh Chang Tropicana Resort
Pajamas Koh Chang
Pajamas Koh Chang
#1 of 111 in Ko Chang

Been to Flora I Talay Resort? Share your experiences!