“Heaven on earth”

Ranked #1 of 7 Ko Chang Tai B&B and Inns
Cologne, Germany
“Heaven on earth”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

When we arrived at this beautiful peace of land I coulnd't believe it. Having just left a ferry filled with crowds of tourists, we reached this silent georgeous haven twenty minutes later. The Mangrove is a chraming estate with many thoughtful details, a beautifull pier, a great attic relax zones with hammocks, a massage area and all the comfort you can wish for. It's located in the pristine fishermen's village Salak Phet.
The owner is incredibly friendly and he and his staff take a lot of time and effort to make your stay memorable.
The rooms are beautifull - even the lower class rooms are bautiful and the food is delicious.
Upon request the staff organises great day trips to the surrounding uninhabited islands, snorkelling, hiking, massages and many more.
This was probably the most relaxing and beautiful stop of our trip. Thank you Olivier!!!!

Room Tip: All room classes are great. there is no way to meake a mistakel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gnulia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Unfortunately our stay was SO good at the Mangrove Hideaway, the benchmark was set so high we had to change our booked accomodation twice in Thailand after leaving!
The rooms and common areas are all tasefully decorated and the little things like toiletries, towels and bedding are all way above the standard in Asia, and make such a difference at the end of a big day.
The food is also well above the norm in Asia, and full credit to the talented young chef Nat, who really is a world class chef in the making. The menu is beyond expectation, and everything we ordered was cooked to perfection. Don't leave without tasting the 3 senses fish or the steamed squid. Being in a fishing villiage the seafood is as fresh as you can get - honestly - they were the best seafood dishes I have ever tasted, and coming from Australia where seafood is aplently this truly is a huge compliment to the fresh produce and fantastic chef!
The location at Salak Phet is not on a beach. However with a little effort, you can kayak ( 30 minutes ) or boat ( 20 mins ) to lovely secluded beaches on smaller islands not far from mainland Ko Chang, where you don't have to contend with the crowds, or pushy locals.
The team at Mangrove Hideaway has been successfully groomed in a very short time by Oliver and The Captian in to a smooth running ship, full of genuine passion, and exceptional service on all counts.
I cannot recommend this place highly enough, and cannot fault the experience at all :)
Thankyou everyone at the Mangrove Hideaway,so much, for a wonderful experience!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rencross
Ban Min Buri, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed March 7, 2013

It was so unfortunate that we could only get 3 nights to stay here for our wedding anniversary, and and every superlative that has been written here by others says it all. The greeting we recieved from Oliver, was given with sincere warmth, and was informative. The garden room we were offered was spotless and tastefully furnished in sypathetic earh tones, the same could be said for the rest of the establishment. The attic is a true gem with beautiful views of the bay, I only wish that I had more time to avail myself of the tranquility of this beatiful place, but having the advantage of our car, and a pre planned itinery with limited time it can be assured of our return at the earliest opportunity.
Even after our drive back to BKK, we returned refreshed and relaxed after our most memorable and enjoyable experience of our only too short stay at The Mangrove Hideaway.
Thank you Oliver and Jean Luc. Warmest best wishes from Graeme and Nuj.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Graeme S
Grimsby, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My experience staying at this gem is hard to put to words. Having traveled extensively around Thailand with friends, I decided I needed to splurge and have a week to myself. After reading about the beauty of Koh Chang I stumbled upon this hotel on trip advisor. Every good thing that has been said about the hotel is true. Oliver, Jean-luke and staff go out of their way to make every experience an amazing one for their guests. On my first day I tried a motor bike which they gladly rented to me. Unfortunately halfway around the island (which they smartly recommended I dont do), I was caught in a chain motorbike crash in the rain. Although I only sustained slight injuries, I was more concerned about the damage to their new bike. I fixed some myself at a local shop but when I returned they didn't even care about the bike, and were only concerned about my wellbeing. The next day I rented a kayak which they gladly setup and coached me on the best places to paddle. In the evenings, the food at dinner was exceptional. Being a passionate wine drinker, they even had some good white and red. A hard thing to find in Thailand, especially on a remote island!

For me, the best example of their amazing hospitality came when I got the unfortunate news a friend of mine had been injured in an accident on Koh Samet. I had to leave a day earlier than booked and early in the morning at that. They did not charge me anything for the night I missed, and even booked a shuttle to pick me up at the hotel early in the morning to take me to the ferry. Because I would miss breakfast, they insured I had breakfast prepared and set in my room fridge the night before. Unbelievable how accommodating and supportive the staff were. Everything about this place screams perfection and my only wish was that I was there with my girlfriend as it is the perfect romantic getaway. I will be back for sure!!!

P.S I almost didn't review this hotel as it is a hidden gem at the moment and soon it may not be if they keep up the good work! Great price for what you get!

Room Tip: Try the suites that are located with views fronting the Mangrove
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Kevin K
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at the Mangrove Hideaway in January 2013 for 4 nights to get to see the other side of Koh Chang after staying on the Klong Prao beach side earlier. Despite reading all the fantastic reviews, we were still totally blown away by the beauty of the Hideaway itself, the charm of the fishing village Salak Phet and the incredibly special staff here. Owners Olivier and Jean Luc made us feel welcome and taken care of from the second we arrived. Their staff are all lovely and will greet you with warm smiles each day. A true highlight for us was the unbelievably talented chef Nat who made some of the most memorable meals we've ever eaten. The Yellow Curry Fried Crab, Fried Fish 3 Senses and homemade coconut ice cream are a must-try. We don't normally like to eat at the same place twice, but we ate here 3 of our 4 nights here and wish we could have traded in that 4th to come back! We also enjoyed the lovely sights around Salak Phet - wandering through the little fishing village and exchanging smiles with the local families, the scenic boardwalk through the mangrove forest, kayaking to the little secluded beach on another island nearby and an awesome day at Wai Chaek beach. Relaxing in the hammocks at the Attic Relax Zone upstairs at the Hideaway was also a highlight. We cannot recommend this place more for a peaceful, genuine, memorable experience on Koh Chang.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andrea C
Paris, France
Reviewed February 12, 2013

There's a lot of things you can do on Koh Chang. You can go fight for some personal space on White Beach. You can party your head off on Lonely Beach. You can feed your tourist dollar to a large hotel from an international chain ...

Or, you can go to Salak Phet and spend some time at the place created by Olivier, Jean-Luc and their Thai staff. We stayed a week - 7 days that thanks to the generosity of our hosts quickly developed into the closest contact we have had so far with the Thailand that lies beyond the barrier of the tourist industry. Our kids enjoyed their stay tremendously, especially the one that was allowed to roam freely throughout the guesthouse, chasing the cats, watching the fish and helping the staff with the laundry....

The guesthouse itself is simplicity and beauty to the last detail. The hosts passion for their environment, for the village, for the island is tangible, and their staff is well cared for. A special mention for the cook Nat that outdid himself to satisfy our passion for Isaan-style food with the appropriate spiciness.

For those who balk at the idea of not being directly on a beach : Olivier and Jean-Luc will make every effort to facilitate access to those holiday necessities that are not within instant reach - the distance of the guest house from these things is an advantage. A "hideaway" is the appropriate name....

Thank you !

Room Tip: The duplex is perfect for a family of four.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Parisdude_18
Here
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed at Mangrove Hideaway from 30.12.12 till the 1.1.13 and only regret that we hadnt booked for a longer time. Sadly every room was occupied after New Year, but Olivier still was nice and helpfull, even we moved out, and organized us a homestay in the fisher village.
He and Jean-Luc and the staff did a great job to make you feel welcome.
True, there is no nearby beach to swim and its not the cheapest place, but its definitively worth it. The rooms are clean and nice, the location perfect for relaxing, the breakfast tasty and everyone is friendly. So if you plan to go to Koh Chang, go there, you won´t regret it.

Best regards to the great Mangrove-Team from Mou & Stefan, hope to see you perhaps again some day

Room Tip: every room seems to be perfect, we had one to the garden
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
#11 of 73 in Ko Chang
Santhiya Tree Koh Chang Resort
Sea View Resort & Spa Koh Chang
Centara Koh Chang Tropicana Resort

Been to The Mangrove Hideaway Koh Chang? Share your experiences!