“manageress about the rudest I've ever come across”
Review of The Albany

The Albany
Reserve with OpenTable
The Albany is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 27 Restaurants in Thames Ditton
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: You will find The Albany at the end of Queens Road, on the River Thames. Sat in between two boat clubs and with Hampton Court Palace on the other side of the river there’s not many better places to sit back, relax and watch the world go by. The warm hospitality, internal decor, fresh food, daily specials, continental lagers, log fires, real ales and outside terrace & beer garden make this a great pub for all occasions and seasons.Come down and check it out for yourself.
london
“manageress about the rudest I've ever come across”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Its a shame, I Used to go here about 3 times a week, had Christmas here 2 years ago and had many client functions here, I also promoted them heavily in our village. That served me well!

On my birthday last year, came for a quick lunch and ended up having an absurd full blown argument with the manageress who refused to change a flat glass of champagne (the other one was fine but she insisted she wouldnt change it) and instead argued with me in front of the entire restaurant until I literally lost it with her.

Despite this, I came a month later to meet friends who wanted to come there. When I arrived, my friend who is the most placid person I know was ready to blow, surprise surprise, same lady. He'd been shown to a table, sat down, ordered a drink and she had subsequently come and told him he couldnt sit there, when he said he'd been seated by a waitress she told him "thats not possible". he then moved and had to wait 20 mins for his drink. 4 of us arrived, waited 2 hours for fish and chips.

I wrote and emailed to ask for an explanation on both of the above issues, got no reply, sums up their attitude frankly.
So far I have spent approximately £4000 on functions at other venues when I would have used the Albany.

A shame because it's a brilliant venue, the food is generally very good and many of the staff are great, I know they have had staffing problems but the place has become a local joke servicewise. Some good managers have come and gone, I don't get it, its really not rocket science and could be unbelievably good.

• Visited July 2012
4 Thank craigwilliamsLondon

“BAD SERVICE”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I can't believe that this place still hasnt done anything about the dreadful service. Its over a year since we experienced it. I kicked up such a fuss for waiting over an hour for .... wait for it... Baked Camembert, we got it for free. The manager was a numpty, don't know how he's still got a job quite frankly. Maybe we should get a petition going to sack them all!

5 Thank gappy_85
London, United Kingdom
“Location hard to beat”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The location of this place is hard to beat. In the summer you can sit outside to eat or just drink. It has its own largish car park. Great in an area where parking is not easy. We take our 96 yr old mother there because the access is relatively easy. Had one memorable Brunch of smoked haddock and poached egg with my 27 yr son at a table on the decking along side the river last summer. I love the decor, cool and styish but cossy too in the winter. The food and service is hit and miss. Last time we visited had a wonderful New Zealand waiter looking after us superbly through to a dopey waitress earlier in the year who, although there were only 6 people in the place, couldn't get her act together and we collected our own drinks from the bar...twice! The staff are always pleasant and do their best to help even on the two occassions I have returned dishes because they have contained either cheese or cream as ingredience, not stated on the menu, neither of which I can eat. Potions can be disappointing, sometimes boarding on mean...even with the salad leaves, but it can also be outstanding on quality and flavour.
I really like this place, it has far more going for it than not. Its friendly and beautiful and there is a real possibility that you will have a lovely time there. If they invested more time in front of house management to consistantly be at their best it could be outstanding.

• Visited November 2012
Guildford, United Kingdom
“4 Courses that Fill you up like 2”
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Just left this place and I must say I am hugely disappointed. I suspect that the money we paid was not for the food but for the setting. The food was bland and lacked substance.

The starter of chorizo salad was poor, it's 1 and half thin slice of chorizo on a small bed of rocket salad was shocking.

The roast pork main was bland and the crackling was tiny.

The brownie and coffee was its saving grace in terms of food, however they seemed to get confused when they were asked for cream instead of gelato, bringing us both.

The service was very slow and poor.

2 Thank Rey-Latorre
Germany
“Overpriced and strange dishes”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The decorations of the restaurant are very good. The polished concrete stone-look floor is a highlight.
The service is pretty mediocre: it takes ages to be served and the employees simply do not pay attention. The food is far too expensive for the amount of food you receive. The wine is over-priced. The meal to avoid is the 3 scallops wrapped in salty bacon: why bother with the scallops, you can't taste anything after eating one piece of bacon. The tapas was too little for too much.

Paking was good, once you had managed to get down Queen's Road.

• Visited December 2012