“Choo choo. My kids love this place!”

Thames Ditton Miniature Steam Railway
Chessington, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Choo choo. My kids love this place!”
Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

I take my son and daughter to this wonderful place at least twice a year one of which is always at Christmas they both love it here and always look forward to going back. Only downside is parking be prepared to park up one of the side roads as they don't have on site parking.
Your kids will have a great day.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Martin V

London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Steam Day Away”
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

You gotta love this place, my kids do each & every time we visit! Generally speaking I find all the volunteers are friendly & accommodating & do a great job for the young ones! You gotta have a little luck with the weather & choice of rolling stock, but today the kids struck gold as there were no less than five steam engines running including the boys favourite... Douglas!

2 Thank Concierge001
Surbiton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A potentially great day out ruined by dreadful customer service”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I am not someone who tends to write reviews but in this instance I feel so strongly about the way I was treated today at Thames Ditton Railway that I cannot do otherwise. It was meant to be a fun day out with my children and turned, quite unnecessarily, into a very upsetting experience for me and my family.
I think the majority of volunteers here do a great job and the trains are great fun, but the place is hugely let down by the attitude of some of them towards their paying visitors (ie. 'customers'). The woman who was in charge of letting passengers onto trains at the main station felt it was appropriate to be very rude to parents of small children with buggies. I was pretty shocked at her loud sarcastic comments about how stupid we were to be waiting in line with buggies when there was a (very poorly signposted) buggy park further along. I am not a confrontational person but I cannot abide rudeness - so I tried, in the most cheerful voice I could manage to suggest that maybe what was needed was some signage to tell people that buggies were not permitted in the queue and was told that 'we don't need a sign because it should be bloody logical'. She refused to apologise for being rude (to me, and to other parents who said her tone was unnecessary).
I was then told by the Duty Manager that she was 'just doing her job' (rudeness, it seems is part of the service) and to get out if I didn't like it.
Needless to say I won't be going back to somewhere where they treat their visitors with such contempt.

Visited April 2014
23 Thank Kathryn E
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“a small railway under a big railway”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

absolutely great for kids, 2-10 year old. run by volunteer rail enthusiasts who keep the model trains in superb condition

2 Thank m m
London
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Down memory lane”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

As a child, I lived 5 minutes away and used to go every month to the miniature railway with a group of friends. I then took my own children and more recently, my grandchildren! I still love it and so do my family. It is something so different as a day out and wonderful to know that it goes on from generation to generation.

Visited July 2012