“Good value for regular eating out”
Review of The Swan

The Swan
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Bromham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Good value for regular eating out”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We have enjoyed the 2 meals for £10, Sunday lunches, and themed evenings like fish night on a Tuesday along with Quiz night and offers on wines. Suitable for meeting up with friends without the need for a special occasion!

Visited November 2012

Bedford, United Kingdom
“Friendly pub with good food & service”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This very popular pub is friendly, offers good service and good food. Great value for money and offers meal deals at a competitive rate; including their award winning Fish n' Chips.
It is popular and does get busy, so maybe an idea to book if you’re going, but we have always managed to find a seat/table in the bar for eating. The restaurant having been full.
My friend and I had the meal deal £9.98 2 x Fish n' Chips, with lovely mushy peas presented in a small gravy boat so they didn't swamp your plate. The portion was full size, (not smaller because it was the meal deal) and freshly cooked good and hot.
We stayed into the afternoon, and later we had coffee and cake for 2. (Another offer).
Total bill for 2 x drinks, 2 x lunches, 2 x Victoria Sandwich and 2 x Coffee was under £20.00
Excellent value, good service and good food. Congratulations and well done to the Swan!

• Visited September 2012
“Hit and miss service”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Never having been to this pub before it would have been nice to have been shown to the table instead of the waiter following us this is just basic customer service
one of the four starters was very poor , when you ask for french mustard you get english point this out to the waiter who grins and says he knows.
Also the noise levels of conversation just made the evening un comfortable.Its a pity but with a bit more thought to wards customer service i would be happy to try it once more but until that happen s i ll give it a miss

• Visited October 2012
“Very reasonably priced”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is my third review for the Swan, however my reasons for recommending it this time have changed and are summarised in my title. Having allowed, for no particular reason, a year to elapse since my last visit, I ate there early on a Sunday evening with my husband and parents.
Sunday evenings can be difficult when wanting to eat out, as some restaurants are closed and some pubs stop serving food. However, luckily, this is not the case with The Swan.
The Swan is in transition: the last landlord has left and Angie, the temporary landlady, will be leaving soon to take on The Dolphin in Melbourn near Royston on the Cambs/ Herts border. (She was lovely, by the way.) But, being a Greene King Olde English Inn, I presume that there is some continuity with the kitchen and serving staff. At least I hope so, as the food was great and the waitresses lovely. And it was the bargain of the century - two of us took advantage of the two meals for £9.95 offer, and our bill for four, for two courses plus a drink each, was £48!
For sure, the place needs a refurb, and I won't at present be visiting for an anniversary meal, but for good food at a great price, you need to give The Swan some consideration. And yes, we did have the memorable clotted cream ice-cream! (Apparently made by Beechdean, if I remember it right,)

• Visited August 2012
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“Terrible Attitude and Badly Cooked Food”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I went there this evening with my Mother who had been several times for lunch and had a good experience.

From the outset, the Manageress was curt with us, insisting in a very agitated manner that we must find a table to sit at before we can order food at the bar, despite the fact there were only three tables eating in the whole establishment and we gestured to area we would be sitting at.

The starters of Duck spring rolls came, which were very nice. The main was two fillet steaks ordered medium rare, but when they arrived the were very overcooked, very dry and almost inedible.

At almost £16 per steak I was not willing to accept such poor quality and so complained to the waitress who was very friendly and apologetically took them back to the kitchen. She then came back to tell us the chef could cook another two steaks (which normally takes 5 mins max) but it would be at least another 30 mins because they had already started to clean down the kitchen (30 mins before it was due to close) and would need to fire it back up again.

Clearly hoping we would be put off by this, and being hungry and getting late, we reluctantly accepted the dry overcooked steaks and the offer of some money off the bill. On paying the bill they offered %20 off, which essentially would've amounted to the steaks still costing £10 each, which I was understandably not prepared to accept. The waitress then had to get the unfriendly manageress back once again to dispute with us saying "well, they did offer you a replacement" again a very curt manner.

I politely explained how I don't usually complain unless I have to, but this was exceptionally bad and I wouldn't be willing to pay more than £5 per steak, BUT had no problem paying full price for everything else. She eventually offered to take one steak off the bill but was very reluctant to do so and clearly ready for an argument, questioning further about what the steaks were like and what the waitress had said to us.

A shame, seemed like a nice pub, one of the waitresses was friendly but the rest of the staff were not and the service was extremely poor.

I will not be going back.

• Visited August 2012