“Very reasonably priced”

The Swan
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Bromham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Very reasonably priced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is my third review for the Swan, however my reasons for recommending it this time have changed and are summarised in my title. Having allowed, for no particular reason, a year to elapse since my last visit, I ate there early on a Sunday evening with my husband and parents.
Sunday evenings can be difficult when wanting to eat out, as some restaurants are closed and some pubs stop serving food. However, luckily, this is not the case with The Swan.
The Swan is in transition: the last landlord has left and Angie, the temporary landlady, will be leaving soon to take on The Dolphin in Melbourn near Royston on the Cambs/ Herts border. (She was lovely, by the way.) But, being a Greene King Olde English Inn, I presume that there is some continuity with the kitchen and serving staff. At least I hope so, as the food was great and the waitresses lovely. And it was the bargain of the century - two of us took advantage of the two meals for £9.95 offer, and our bill for four, for two courses plus a drink each, was £48!
For sure, the place needs a refurb, and I won't at present be visiting for an anniversary meal, but for good food at a great price, you need to give The Swan some consideration. And yes, we did have the memorable clotted cream ice-cream! (Apparently made by Beechdean, if I remember it right,)

• Visited August 2012

Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“Terrible Attitude and Badly Cooked Food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I went there this evening with my Mother who had been several times for lunch and had a good experience.

From the outset, the Manageress was curt with us, insisting in a very agitated manner that we must find a table to sit at before we can order food at the bar, despite the fact there were only three tables eating in the whole establishment and we gestured to area we would be sitting at.

The starters of Duck spring rolls came, which were very nice. The main was two fillet steaks ordered medium rare, but when they arrived the were very overcooked, very dry and almost inedible.

At almost £16 per steak I was not willing to accept such poor quality and so complained to the waitress who was very friendly and apologetically took them back to the kitchen. She then came back to tell us the chef could cook another two steaks (which normally takes 5 mins max) but it would be at least another 30 mins because they had already started to clean down the kitchen (30 mins before it was due to close) and would need to fire it back up again.

Clearly hoping we would be put off by this, and being hungry and getting late, we reluctantly accepted the dry overcooked steaks and the offer of some money off the bill. On paying the bill they offered %20 off, which essentially would've amounted to the steaks still costing £10 each, which I was understandably not prepared to accept. The waitress then had to get the unfriendly manageress back once again to dispute with us saying "well, they did offer you a replacement" again a very curt manner.

I politely explained how I don't usually complain unless I have to, but this was exceptionally bad and I wouldn't be willing to pay more than £5 per steak, BUT had no problem paying full price for everything else. She eventually offered to take one steak off the bill but was very reluctant to do so and clearly ready for an argument, questioning further about what the steaks were like and what the waitress had said to us.

A shame, seemed like a nice pub, one of the waitresses was friendly but the rest of the staff were not and the service was extremely poor.

I will not be going back.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Alex B
London
“Tasty Treats”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Just a few miles outside Bedford, off the beaten track and you are at the Swan.

It has a small dining area but large outside dining area, perfect in any fine weather. A nice location for lunch.

The food is wholesome, good quality and value for money; vegetarian options are readily available, and the servers are very polite and considerate. They have a mix of desserts, or you can have a taste of all of them at a reasonable price.

They also do special deals for older people (over 60), so it can become quite crowded.

• Visited July 2012
Nr Bedford, UK
“My local pub and a favourite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Love the atmosphere and food is lovely and great value too

Visited May 2012
United Kingdom
“Repeat Visits ............. Much Better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

I like to add good as well as bad reviews and decided to give this pub another go. Have visited this twice, yes twice, since my last review. Mainly due to the fact i have relatives in the area, so it's handy. Was very sceptical. But both times i was more than happy. Service was good, very attentive. Both times i had fish n chips and it was very nice. The two main meals for £9.95 is excellent value. Curry nights are good value and if you fancy a good old fashioned quiz, then hey it's a good laugh. Much better. Thanks

• Visited June 2012