We own a small business but as part of our strategy to stay on track and grow the business, we try to have at least one strategic planning trip a year. We chose Viamede because it was close to home. We went in the fall in hopes that most of the tourists had left.
We stayed in one of the rooms outside of the main resort. The room had a fireplace, a balcony with a small view of the lake and was extremely quiet...perfect for the work we needed to accomplish over the 3 nights we stayed. We took advantage of Wi-Fi which never once went down, walked the extensive trails (when it wasn't raining) and sat in front of the fireplace every night and read. It was the perfect business planning trip for us.
Here are my comments about the resort itself:
We came on a package deal and felt the cost was in line with the value. We stayed in a room with a fireplace, a small bar kitchen and a Jacuzzi. Showering in a hug Jacuzzi is great because of all of the room and the water pressure was great.
The whole resort is tired but you can tell they are slowly but surely working on it. Our whole bathroom was a little like a camp bathroom, nothing fancy, but it worked.
The food in the main dining room was good but limited selection. The food in Mt Julian (just across the parking lot) was superb. At breakfast, they ran out of orange juice and they were out of the house white in the evening on both nights we dined in the main room
The cleanliness was about a 3 1/2 out of 5 but I am very picky...my husband probably didn't even notice the some of the things I did.
The bed was super comfortable and we both got 3 days of amazing sleeps
We had a wedding at the resort but because it was raining, we didn't notice it except for the one night we couldn't eat in the main dining room but being "forced" to eat in Mt Julian was a big treat.
The service was Ok. I am have stayed at Trump Towers and the Ritz Carleton so I am pretty used to ""knock your socks off" service and this didn't come close to meeting that level of service but the staff was warm and friendly and very responsive to any questions or requirements we had
Booking was easy and fairly painless
The location is outstanding. The lake is gorgeous and listening to the loons at night is a sound I will never tire of listening.'
We were hoping for a better fitness area but took what we got. We used the hot tub twice but it was definitely in need of a good clean. The sauna was not on so unless you turned it on before you got into the hot tub, you were not going to have a warm sauna.
We would go back again (and ask for our same room) for the food. We were shocked at just how good it was.
We are hoping the new owner will continue to upgrade the whole facility.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located only 40 minutes north of Peterborough, Viamede is nestled in the woods on the north shore of Stoney Lake, one of Ontario's most beautiful lakes. Our resort facilities are well suited to both relaxation and adventure. Explore the 165 acres of nature that Viamede offers by hiking our 6 km of private nature trails or canoeing the islands of beautiful Stoney Lake. Enjoy an evening barbecuing on your private patio or join us at the Boathouse Pub for live music, great food and cold craft beers for summer time fun. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire and Evoline ltd so you can book your Viamede Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viamede Hotel North Kawartha
- Viamede Resort Ontario/North Kawartha, Canada