“Would highly recommend for a summer getaway!”
Review of Viamede Resort

Viamede Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Kawartha
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Would highly recommend for a summer getaway!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Just returned from a relaxing weekend away at Viamede with my husband and our business group. There were approximately 50 of us with some staying in cottages by the water and others in the main inn. My husband and I were in a rustic two bedroom two bathroom cottage that had a lovely scenic view of Stony Lake from it's own private front deck, as well as from the two windows in the sitting room. We found the grounds and gardens around the property to be well kept with pretty perennials in bloom everywhere.

Our little "cabin" style cottage was reminiscent of the kind I couldn't wait to get to each summer as a child with wood panelling on the walls, a screen door and simple furnishings. Nothing fancy but cozy and clean and although there was a cabin on either side of ours (we were 410), ours felt quite private actually. There were 3 Muskoka style chairs on our deck with a small table and it was nice to be able to sit out and read a book, have a glass of wine and take in the view of beautiful Stony Lake (which we learned is spelled Stoney in one part of the lake and Stony in another part!).

Each bedroom had a both a double and single bed in them and although I didn't find the pillows all that comfortable, I enjoyed the fact that all the beds had comfy duvets with crisp clean bedding (and lots of pillows - although not down filled which is my preference). There was a dresser and night table with lamp in each bedroom as well, although oddly, there wasn't one hanger to be found in either of the closets and I didn't bother to go ask for some.

The sitting area had a couch, chair and coffee table at one end of the room and at the other, a kitchen table and chairs, a small bar fridge and microwave as well as a coffee maker. Tea and coffee were provided. Both bathrooms had a tub and shower. There was complimentary wireless internet within the cabin and around the premises (much appreciated!!).

Our lunch and two breakfast meals were buffet style in the main inn and we had no complaints. The two dinners we had were excellent, the first night being part of our package and the second night where we ordered off the menu.

Staff were friendly and in actual fact, the people who organized our event chose the Viamede over another resort they'd checked out on Stoney Lake "because of the owners" - they said they just found the people at Viamede were "nice to deal with" when they were making their decision on a location for our event.

Although we never took advantage of them, there were a lot of water toys/activities available for guests' use at no cost which quite impressed me. We did enjoy watching other guests out on the lake while we sat up in the Pub having lunch and a cold beverage. Apparently the pub restaurant was part of the Restaurant Makeover show which was kind of neat. We watched residents of the lake come and go in their boats, tying them up to the docks that are located below the pub. We also watched a float plane land and take off while we sat out on the pub's verandah.

The pool is nicely located overlooking the lake and there is a playground for the kids and a small beach on site as well. Stony Lake itself is a beautiful clean lake and we took advantage of the lake tour offered by staff on their pontoon boat the afternoon we were there.

There are lots of activities and things to do around the resort. While some of our group went for a walk (and found a barn with barn animals on site), some of us took a nice little 35 min drive into nearby Bobcageon for some fantastic shopping at Bigley's - a huge store with the best selection of ladies and mens quality name brand shoes and clothes that I have ever seen! Nearby Lakefield about 20 min away was a cute little town as well.

Overall I think Viamede is a great spot for families, couples and groups such as ours for a summer getaway although I understand the resort is also open year round.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BahiaDelray
ViamedeResort, Manager at Viamede Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear BahiaDelray,

Thank you very much for your kind comments. I certainly agree that we have a great spot here, and I'm glad that your group had a great time.

I hope to see you again soon!

Ben

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

We went up for may 24 long weekend and had a great time. Food options were pretty good. Only issue was there was no boat rentals onsite and we were advised by the booking agents there be, along with other water activities. Very nice views from the 2 bedroom cottage we rented. Seemed to be a lot of new employees on the resort. Everyone would tell us it was there first day and had to go back and forth to ask questions to someone that was more experienced. All in all a pretty decent time.

• Stayed May 2013
ViamedeResort, Owner at Viamede Resort, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Shane786,

Thank you for your review. I do apologise for the miscommunication. Our boat rentals are generally only available during the summer months, and I understand how disappointing this would be.

I do hope to see you back this summer - let me know, and I will get you out on a boat cruise.

Bowmanville, Canada
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We booked a "date night" special and thought it was excellent value. We stayed in a king size suite which had a flat screen t.v., Jacuzzi tub, bar, sitting area and balcony. The suite had bathrobes, free water and the resort has a small selection of free dvd's or you are welcome to bring your own. Our date night special included $90. in dinner vouchers, 2 free coctails of our choice and a full cooked breakfast. Everything we ordered was delicious, the selection was good and the service was excellent. Being a Thursday night in mid May, the resort was very quiet and we enjoyed our window seat in the diningroom overlooking the lake. After dinner, we returned to our room to find a complimentary bottle of wine and a card wishing us a happy anniversary. What a nice touch....much appreciated. There are only 2 reasons I'm not rating the resort excellent: there was a light outside our door that unfortunately shined right in the window above the door and onto the bed. It didn't shut off until 2am and affected my sleep. Secondly, the furnshings (although very clean and in good repair) were quite dated. Overall, a lovely spot! This was our 3rd visit.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the suite. We stayed once in the inn for a wedding. The room was tiny and had no balco...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ViamedeResort, Owner at Viamede Resort, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Jsjas,

Thank you very much for your great review! I have actually asked maintenance to adjust the light, so it should not disturb guests in the future.

I look forward to seeing you again soon!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We took our 80 year old mom to Viamede upon her request. We hadn't been in a few years. The 34$ price tag for brunch was a little high but it was what she wanted. Unfortunately, with all of the beautiful renovations what we got was poor service and mediocre food. The desserts were store bought type cakes and there was very little variety in the buffet. The wine list left much to be desired with options for only glasses or bottles-no half litres or house wine what-so-ever.
Needless to say, we were sadly disappointed. The plants that were given to the moms after the brunch was a nice touch and the hostess was very helpful since our server clearly wasn't well trained. I have to admit I have a pet peeve about servers coming to a family table and calling everyone "guys" but mostly it was just neglect. A buffet provides servers with an opportunity to take care of many tables and the place was NOT packed while we were there. I resent having to find a server when we need something.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MJ F
Dear MJ F

Thank you for your comments. As always, we welcome both the best and the worst comments, and strive to improve.

Despite the delay in this response, we have spoken to the server who used "guys," as it's a pet peeve of mine as well.

I am rather disappointed in general about your experience, but we will take it into account with our training and future brunch decisions.

Thank you for your loyal patronage, and I look forward to showing you a better experience next time.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I went on vacation to Viamede this past September – my second visit in as many years. I meant to write this review sooner, but time flies when you’re not relaxing in a kayak on Stoney Lake. The first time was so much fun, I hoped nothing would be different. But Viamede changed a lot in a year -- this time, it was even better.

I went with 6 friends, including some couples. 5 of us stayed in a 3-bedroom/2-bathroom cabin overlooking the lake, while the other 2 people opted for a more private 1-bedroom suite a few yards away. The cabin was recently renovated and really comfortable. I was also quite impressed by the housekeeping staff. Even though 5 people were constantly running in and out, housekeeping somehow managed to slip in each day when no one was around and make the place look immaculate.

One of the best things about Viamede is the sheer number of activities to keep you entertained. We kayaked, rode hydro bikes, swam (both in the pool and lake), played volleyball, tennis, and shuffleboard, went fishing, hiked, and even made friends with some farm animals (turkeys, ducks, and pigs)! Special thanks to the entire staff running the marina who could not possibly have been more helpful and friendly in providing us with boats and equipment every day.

Finally, no review of Viamede would be complete without mentioning the food. The Boathouse Pub is great for lunch and late-night drinks (the live music at night adds a nice touch). The Inn at Mount Julian could easily compete with the best restaurants in NYC. I highly recommend the 7 course tasting menu for dinner. For brunch, it’s a toss-up between the peanut butter french toast and buckwheat pancakes, but you can’t go wrong.

If you're looking for an affordable idyllic getaway, look no further!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Brad C
Dear Brad C,

Sounds like you had a great time! We certainly do have a lot to do here, and I'm happy to hear that you think the Inn at Mount Julian could compete with New York's dining. I'm not sure I want to advertise that confidently, but I'm happy to hear it nonetheless.

I do hope that you plan to return this year - we have a new Chef, and I dare say the food is getting better again.

See you soon!

Toronto
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We made a very last minute decision to have a weekend at Viamede. For the most part, we were glad we went.
We were given a spacious room overlooking the lake and thorougly enjoyed the view. The bed and the seating furniture was comfortable. The bathroom was relatively clean, but we had to ask housekeeping to return and clean some obvious marks in the toilet. I was not too keen to use the Jacuzzi bathtub and showered.
There are no restaurants nearby so we opted for the buffet dinner. The food was expensive but plentiful and well prepared. The large stone fireplace was lovely and we enjoyed sitting there after dinner to finish our wine.
When we were making the booking, the person on the phone was polite, but did not inform us of the weekend deals that included meals and as a result we were a little confused about what was available to us. In addition, we asked about cross country skis and were told that they were available for guests to use without charge. Although this was true, the skis were in terrible shape and we could not find a pair of boots to fit us. When we asked about ski rentals, we were told that the nearby conservation area had skis, but the front desk did not tell us they could give us a free pass to go there until the day we left.
Overall, it seemed to us that the resort is looking for a winter identity. They are not promoting themselves as a ski resort, but there are wonderful trails nearby and very pleasant snowshoeing trails on-site. They are not quite a spa resort as the sauna was never turned on. They pride themselves on their food, but did not make us aware of the dinning room events. Despite some of the problems, we will go back again and give it another try.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor and could hear the music from the dinning room. The music was not a prob...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rosebud32
Dear Rosebud,

Thank you for your review. It certainly seems that you had a confusing time here, and for that I apologise.

If you are looking to come back, please feel free to contact me directly, and I can clarify things, as well as make sure that we get you the best possible deal.

Cape Breton, NS
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed at Viamede for the first time with family in August 2012. The resort and location were beautiful but the lodge itself was in need of quite a paint job. We stayed in the row of rooms behind the main lodge and was a bit disappointed to find old carpeting, furniture and fixtures and thought okay, rooms are in need of a facelift too; then I visited the room next to us where other family were registered and found they had new furnishing, linens, wood laminate floors, etc... a beatiful room. I realize not every room can be updated at the same time but we paid the same price for what I thought was an inferior room in comparison. A couple of other disappointments were that the pool closed relatively early at 8 pm although it was still being used but we made the best of our couple of days and all enjoyed the property itself and beautifil Stoney Lake. I guess my final complaint was that once back home in NS I noticed we had forgotten something in the room, I called the resort and she took a description and said she would get back to me. About two weeks later with no call from them I called back myself and again gave a description. This time they located the item but then insisted on my credit card number to ship it back to me, I thought after spending near $500 over a couple of days they could have sent it back on the house. We once left something at Disney and they shipped it from Florida no problem Enough of my complaining, in the end we would like to visit again and the breakfast buffet was AMAZING!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank S D
Dear S D,

Thank you for your great review. Unfortunately, the carpeted rooms do seem to wear faster, especially with the wood fireplaces. We are slowly moving them all over to the wood floor.

We have reviewed our lost and found policy since your stay, and while we still charge for larger items, smaller items are often returned free of charge.

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed breakfast, and generally your stay, and hope that we get you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Kawartha
#1 of 1 in Burleigh Falls
Beachwood Resort
Beachwood Resort
#1 of 10 in Lakefield

Been to Viamede Resort? Share your experiences!