“Viamede has it all!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Kawartha
New York City, New York
“Viamede has it all!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I went on vacation to Viamede this past September – my second visit in as many years. I meant to write this review sooner, but time flies when you’re not relaxing in a kayak on Stoney Lake. The first time was so much fun, I hoped nothing would be different. But Viamede changed a lot in a year -- this time, it was even better.

I went with 6 friends, including some couples. 5 of us stayed in a 3-bedroom/2-bathroom cabin overlooking the lake, while the other 2 people opted for a more private 1-bedroom suite a few yards away. The cabin was recently renovated and really comfortable. I was also quite impressed by the housekeeping staff. Even though 5 people were constantly running in and out, housekeeping somehow managed to slip in each day when no one was around and make the place look immaculate.

One of the best things about Viamede is the sheer number of activities to keep you entertained. We kayaked, rode hydro bikes, swam (both in the pool and lake), played volleyball, tennis, and shuffleboard, went fishing, hiked, and even made friends with some farm animals (turkeys, ducks, and pigs)! Special thanks to the entire staff running the marina who could not possibly have been more helpful and friendly in providing us with boats and equipment every day.

Finally, no review of Viamede would be complete without mentioning the food. The Boathouse Pub is great for lunch and late-night drinks (the live music at night adds a nice touch). The Inn at Mount Julian could easily compete with the best restaurants in NYC. I highly recommend the 7 course tasting menu for dinner. For brunch, it’s a toss-up between the peanut butter french toast and buckwheat pancakes, but you can’t go wrong.

If you're looking for an affordable idyllic getaway, look no further!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Brad C
Dear Brad C,

Sounds like you had a great time! We certainly do have a lot to do here, and I'm happy to hear that you think the Inn at Mount Julian could compete with New York's dining. I'm not sure I want to advertise that confidently, but I'm happy to hear it nonetheless.

I do hope that you plan to return this year - we have a new Chef, and I dare say the food is getting better again.

See you soon!

Ben

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Toronto
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We made a very last minute decision to have a weekend at Viamede. For the most part, we were glad we went.
We were given a spacious room overlooking the lake and thorougly enjoyed the view. The bed and the seating furniture was comfortable. The bathroom was relatively clean, but we had to ask housekeeping to return and clean some obvious marks in the toilet. I was not too keen to use the Jacuzzi bathtub and showered.
There are no restaurants nearby so we opted for the buffet dinner. The food was expensive but plentiful and well prepared. The large stone fireplace was lovely and we enjoyed sitting there after dinner to finish our wine.
When we were making the booking, the person on the phone was polite, but did not inform us of the weekend deals that included meals and as a result we were a little confused about what was available to us. In addition, we asked about cross country skis and were told that they were available for guests to use without charge. Although this was true, the skis were in terrible shape and we could not find a pair of boots to fit us. When we asked about ski rentals, we were told that the nearby conservation area had skis, but the front desk did not tell us they could give us a free pass to go there until the day we left.
Overall, it seemed to us that the resort is looking for a winter identity. They are not promoting themselves as a ski resort, but there are wonderful trails nearby and very pleasant snowshoeing trails on-site. They are not quite a spa resort as the sauna was never turned on. They pride themselves on their food, but did not make us aware of the dinning room events. Despite some of the problems, we will go back again and give it another try.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor and could hear the music from the dinning room. The music was not a prob...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rosebud32
Dear Rosebud,

Thank you for your review. It certainly seems that you had a confusing time here, and for that I apologise.

If you are looking to come back, please feel free to contact me directly, and I can clarify things, as well as make sure that we get you the best possible deal.

Cape Breton, NS
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed at Viamede for the first time with family in August 2012. The resort and location were beautiful but the lodge itself was in need of quite a paint job. We stayed in the row of rooms behind the main lodge and was a bit disappointed to find old carpeting, furniture and fixtures and thought okay, rooms are in need of a facelift too; then I visited the room next to us where other family were registered and found they had new furnishing, linens, wood laminate floors, etc... a beatiful room. I realize not every room can be updated at the same time but we paid the same price for what I thought was an inferior room in comparison. A couple of other disappointments were that the pool closed relatively early at 8 pm although it was still being used but we made the best of our couple of days and all enjoyed the property itself and beautifil Stoney Lake. I guess my final complaint was that once back home in NS I noticed we had forgotten something in the room, I called the resort and she took a description and said she would get back to me. About two weeks later with no call from them I called back myself and again gave a description. This time they located the item but then insisted on my credit card number to ship it back to me, I thought after spending near $500 over a couple of days they could have sent it back on the house. We once left something at Disney and they shipped it from Florida no problem Enough of my complaining, in the end we would like to visit again and the breakfast buffet was AMAZING!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank S D
Dear S D,

Thank you for your great review. Unfortunately, the carpeted rooms do seem to wear faster, especially with the wood fireplaces. We are slowly moving them all over to the wood floor.

We have reviewed our lost and found policy since your stay, and while we still charge for larger items, smaller items are often returned free of charge.

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed breakfast, and generally your stay, and hope that we get you back soon.

Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed here years ago with family a few years in a row, but stopped coming because it got worse. I saw a great deal on travelzoo, and thought I could show my new gf the place, because the location is great.

Little did I know that ownership had changed, and WOW!

Right away we saw the new signs, then the lobby, which used to be ugly and small. The rooms are so clean and nice. Everything is so nice now.

I can't even think about the food without drooling! The beef was the best I have ever had, and even my picky gf loved it.

Obviously, the stay wasnt perfect. There is still work left to be done, but it sounds like they are still working away.

So 5 stars for the huge change.

1 Thank Smythie1234
Dear Smythie1234,

Thank you for your great review. I really appreciate the great comments. I understand that there is still work left to be done, and it will happen.

In the meantime, it was great to have you back, and I look forward to seeing you more often.

Kingston, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This Resort is the reason I wanted to sign on to TripAdvisor!!
I wanted to say that this resort about a two hour drive for us, was the perfect weekend destination, with the right amount of relaxation.
I just wanted to spend some time together and go for walks, have some wine, but also just do a bit of nothing!
I really like the quaint feel of historical buildings and the view was awesome, and being a summer person I can't wait to go back in the warmer months.

We got a package deal that included a cooking class with Chef Ken. That part was really cool, simply because it was different and just something I clearly would not normally do with my husband!!!! But it was great.

Room Tip: Second Floor over looking the water/frozen lake!
Dear Julie W,

It's actually touching that our resort lead you to create an account, and I'm happy to hear that you had a good time.

If you're planning to come back in the summer, please send me a direct e-mail, and we'll get you an upgrade.

Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This Resort was recommended by a close friend, during my search for a location that would provide a serene and relaxing atmosphere for a couples getaway. From the start of the process I was met with frustration and disappointment, as follows:

- Website: Initially appears "user-friendly", but the bottom half of the web page looks cut-off. This is where the detatiled information is to appear re: the(info) menu selection. Using the scroll bar, you feel as if you are still not having intact information presented.

-"1-800" number: Identified as the Reservation Line. The line continued to ring, never being re-directed to an answering service or information line. Back to the website to locate a second contact number; this time answered right away.
I indicated/apologized that I may have the wrong extension, but had tried the reservation line, explaining the issue. The response was "oh it probably just went to the answering machine." I clarified again- no answering or info service on that line, to which I was told"yah it rings a long time.. anyway what can I do for you?" She presented herself as a Representative very disinterested in assisting with my booking.

- Making the reservation: I indicated the dates and couples package I was interested in. The individual curtly responded that the Resort is always closed , in the Winter, from Sunday-Tuesday.
I clarified that this restriction was in place even during the up-coming March Break and received the one word response of "yep". This information did not appear on the website, as I would have turned my efforts elsewhere rather than proceed.

It is unfortunate that the Resort Customer Service Representative answering the phone that day was not cognizant that a 5 min. conversation can greatly alter the desirability of a location, that might actually have the potential to provide couples with the escape they are looking for from lifes hectic bussle.
-M.G.

4 Thank MG739
ViamedeResort, Owner at Viamede Resort, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear M.G,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is true that the resort is closed midweeks in the winter, but I do not know why this was not communicated in a more friendly way.

If you would like, you could e-mail me at ben@viamede.com, I would like to get some more information from you to help us improve for the future.

Thank you again for your comments, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We were able to take advantage of a winter special and could not have been happier with our experience. We could have done all sorts of activities like snowshoeing and cross country skiing, but we were there to just totally relax, sleep, read. The only thing we really did was feed the deer who were right at the front door.
As it was early January there were very few guests and we could not believe how beautifully peaceful and quiet it was.
The dining room is beautiful with a huge stone fireplace and overlooking the lake. The meals were positively delicious and perfectly served.
Our room was large, with a view of the lake. It had an offset sitting area with a comfy loveseat, TV and desk. We could also have borrowed DVDs at the front desk if we wished. There was a table and chairs and a small fridge.
In the bathroom there was a huge tub with jets, but there was also a regular hottub just down the hall which we really enjoyed. Again, the silence and peace was just beautiful.
We will definitely be returning to stay in the future and hopefully make the occasional trip just to enjoy the fine cuisine.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank onvoyage_3
ViamedeResort, Owner at Viamede Resort, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear onvoyage_3,

Thank you for your comments. Winter is my favourite time for guests - a nice fire, quiet and a fantastic view.

We hope we see you again in the summer.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Kawartha
Beachwood Resort
Beachwood Resort
#1 of 10 in Lakefield
Shambhala Bed and Breakfast

Been to Viamede Resort? Share your experiences!