I went on vacation to Viamede this past September – my second visit in as many years. I meant to write this review sooner, but time flies when you’re not relaxing in a kayak on Stoney Lake. The first time was so much fun, I hoped nothing would be different. But Viamede changed a lot in a year -- this time, it was even better.
I went with 6 friends, including some couples. 5 of us stayed in a 3-bedroom/2-bathroom cabin overlooking the lake, while the other 2 people opted for a more private 1-bedroom suite a few yards away. The cabin was recently renovated and really comfortable. I was also quite impressed by the housekeeping staff. Even though 5 people were constantly running in and out, housekeeping somehow managed to slip in each day when no one was around and make the place look immaculate.
One of the best things about Viamede is the sheer number of activities to keep you entertained. We kayaked, rode hydro bikes, swam (both in the pool and lake), played volleyball, tennis, and shuffleboard, went fishing, hiked, and even made friends with some farm animals (turkeys, ducks, and pigs)! Special thanks to the entire staff running the marina who could not possibly have been more helpful and friendly in providing us with boats and equipment every day.
Finally, no review of Viamede would be complete without mentioning the food. The Boathouse Pub is great for lunch and late-night drinks (the live music at night adds a nice touch). The Inn at Mount Julian could easily compete with the best restaurants in NYC. I highly recommend the 7 course tasting menu for dinner. For brunch, it’s a toss-up between the peanut butter french toast and buckwheat pancakes, but you can’t go wrong.
If you're looking for an affordable idyllic getaway, look no further!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located only 40 minutes north of Peterborough, Viamede is nestled in the woods on the north shore of Stoney Lake, one of Ontario's most beautiful lakes. Our resort facilities are well suited to both relaxation and adventure. Explore the 165 acres of nature that Viamede offers by hiking our 6 km of private nature trails or canoeing the islands of beautiful Stoney Lake. Enjoy an evening barbecuing on your private patio or join us at the Boathouse Pub for live music, great food and cold craft beers for summer time fun. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz and Evoline ltd so you can book your Viamede Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viamede Hotel North Kawartha
- Viamede Resort Ontario/North Kawartha, Canada