“Great stay!”

and 1 more site!
Viamede Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Kawartha
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Beautiful room with a fantastic view! Delicious food! Super snowshoe/ski trails! Friendly staff! Overall, excellent experience!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
ViamedeResort, Owner at Viamede Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2012

Hi LucyandBrad,

Thank you for your comments! I'm happy you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Let me know when you're back, and we can have a drink together!

Reviewed November 22, 2011

This is not a 4 or 5 star resort, but more of a "Rustic Retreat". If that is what you are looking for based in a beautiful location, then go for it and enjoy. I've been here a couple times, and enjoy it best in the summer, when the Boathouse Pub is open and you can swim and enjoy the outdoors.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TheCanuckFoodie

Hi CanuckFoodie,

Thank you for your comments! We're working on the "rustic" part, to keep the charm but improve on the look & feel of the property.

It will take a while to get where we want to be, but thanks to loyal patrons such as yourself, we are able to make a lot of improvements.

So thank you, and I look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed November 6, 2011

This is the ultimate Fall getaway for couples....the staff are friendly, the food is outstanding and the owner "Ben" is terrific....you have to go!

Room Tip: We stayed in the main lodge....the view was incredible.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Hi Blair C,

Thank you for your comments! The pig roast really was a lot of fun, and next year, it will be earlier in the season, so being outdoors may even be possible.

I hope you're enjoying the winter!

Reviewed October 27, 2011

This is a beautiful area, right on Stoney Lake. We just returned from a weekend there for my brother in laws wedding. The food was amazing, a buffet breakfast was included, lots of selection. The food at the wedding reception was amazing as well, well presented and very accomadating for picky/vegetarians! The Pub & Grill was also good, and well priced. The cottage we rented was in bad shape, but the linens were spotless and the bathroom was very clean. It is need of renovating which I hear is being one as we speak. So I would love to go here again after the renovations occur to see the difference. Oncee this happens I am sure it will get a perfect score.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Hi Fun_in_Sun76,

Thank you for your comments. We are very proud of our food & service, and I am happy that you enjoyed these.

I took over the resort just over a year ago, and it will take us a few years to get everything into the shape we all want it to be. However, in the meantime, we are focusing on ensuring that things are functional and clean.

Thank you for noticing our efforts, and I look forward to meeting you on your next stay.

Reviewed October 12, 2011

This is a beautiful resort location with amazing views, hiking trails, great for fishing and water sports and one amazingly special place to have a wedding. Viamede offers a relaxed setting with sophistication. The owner has started to bring the facilities up to date and has worked well on focusing on the important areas of food and comfort first. The chef made for our wedding the prime rib with a starter of butternut squash soup I was told by my guests they hadn't had a prime rib that good it years it was perfection, the restaurant manager Mike was polite, prompt and had a smile from ear to ear the whole time we saw him which made us feel the staff is well treated and happy, everyone was professional, fast, friendly and willing to always make things right if there were any complaints. The new mattresses and linens were very comfortable and cozy, they gave a nice European feel. Some of the rooms do still need to be updated esthetically but nobody had any issues with them not being thouroughly clean, overtime I am sure they will be brought up to the times along with the maintenance, but I do understand this will take a few years, in the meantime all the rooms in the main hotel were very nice and modern, the cottage we thought was great for a family with a reasonable price accompanied by an amazing buffet breakfast, some of the technology could be updated...not too many people with records anymore. I will say everyone was very impressed that there was wi-fi available though especially the teenagers. As for the spa, this is a resort located in the country so to expect it to be at the calibre of a top spa in Toronto you will be disapointed but I had my hair done and the hairdressor was great, professional, listened well to what people wanted with great advise I would highly recommend her so just keep that in mind. If you enjoy hiking the trails they were very well maintained and they had very good prices for renting boats and seadoos, the pub was also great because it was less formal and an inexpensive alternative to the fine dining but still providing great food. The only negatives were really just things that will be adjusted over time like updating the rooms especially the bridal suite it was huge but I think the furniture looked older then me it really needed a makeover and the balcony although having a great view we had to keep the doors closed and not go out as there were wasp nests and it was just plyboard to stand on, didn't look too stable, The wedding coordinator Lindsay seemed to be overwhelmed and lacked organization, and leadership it may have just been she was on her own and could've used extra help but if your getting married I wouldn't rely too much on her. Viamede is in the process of being reborn and the customer service shown to us was fantastic, after having some issues with the coordinator the hotel offered us a 3 course meal with bottle of wine as an apology we were very impressed and the meal was amazing...as always. I understand in the next few years these concerns are being met but its not something that can be done overnight, I highly recommend coming here for a weekend away whether its for a romantic getaway or with family and friends its a very special spot that is to be shared.

Room Tip: The rooms are being updated, the ones in the main hotel are the most modern, quiet and closest to ev...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2011

After writing a review about the horrific dining service we had at Viamede (July 2011), the manager (through this site) asked that I contact him. I did and he offered to send a complimentary dinner for two to make up for our bad experience. That was August. I still haven't received it and have left a voice mail with no response. Viamede won't be around long if this is what they consider good customer service!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank starr60
ViamedeResort, Manager at Viamede Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2011

Hi Starr60,

I am sorry to hear that you still have not received the gift certificate for a 7-course tasting menu. We mailed it out shortly after our conversation, and we exchanged e-mails on August 20th. In my e-mail to you, I expressed that even without the gift certificate, I would honour our agreement.

I have re-sent this e-mail. Please contact me at ben@viamede.com if you did not receive my e-mails.

Thank you for your patience.

Ben Sämann

Reviewed September 25, 2011

After scouring the internet for a girls spa retreat for a couple of new mothers that desperately needed some relaxation time, we came across this resort. According to the write-up and the pictures, it seemed great and I booked us the retreat we wanted. Upon arrival, we started out at the spa for a 'girls spa package'..well, at least one person that worked there was actually good at her job..the others, not so much! My girlfriend got so irritated that she just stopped her treatments and said she had enough. With the pricing I don't think that you are supposed to come out bleeding, in pain and feeling more stressed..
Getting to our room and realizing what exactly we were getting for $247/night...we went to the front desk to complain. It was like a glorified trailer to say the least. The guy at the desk was getting pretty irritated with our complaints and wasn't hiding that fact. We left our # for the owner to call us..
Onto dinner..thankfully this was fabulous! The chef and staff were great! Took our minds off the horrible spa afternoon.
The owner was waiting for us to return from dinner to which we shared our thoughts and were just told that he was aware that there was some work that was needed to be done and as far as the room rate, he didn't realize that it was that much..really?!..and he would look into it. We told him how upset we were with this experience seeing as there was quite a bit of money spent between 2 of us....
Back to our room to relax and get some much needed sleep..now let me start by saying that during the week prior to our visit, I was called and told that there was going to be a wedding and that the building was old and would I like a free upgrade to another location, upon which I had mentioned that I have a newborn and really appreciated the option as I wanted to sleep..fast forward to the return to the room. To start off with, our door had a deadbolt that seemed to be missing the actual lock part, the jacuzzi tub was as old as my girlfriend and the carpet was stained and dirty. We get into our pj's and get ready to settle down when the child next door yells over to us from his balcony and starts talking away and then on the other side, a baby starts to cry. Not really any peace at all seeing as how our ridiculously priced room was supposed to be 'quieter' than the Inn.
So, after complaining yet again, we got moved to a 'deluxe cabin'. Again, no working lock..and now my girlfriend has to sleep in a twin bed instead of the queen that we were both supposed to get AND no working tv. Too tired to drive home, we bit the bullet and slept for 6 hours, making sure we left by the break of dawn. Only credited $40 off our room rate seemed a little brutal as far as keeping someone happy...so for the whole 'retreat', we spent more money than it would have cost to go somewhere in Toronto (can't tell me its because of the setting when we weren't anywhere near the water or a view of it) and had experienced estheticians, a comfy clean room with not only a working lock but also a working tv and peace and quiet for that price..brutal. Will never go back and will definitely tell people about this experience...

Room Tip: somewhere else!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
#1 of 2 in Keene
Burleigh Falls Inn
Burleigh Falls Inn
#1 of 1 in Burleigh Falls

Been to Viamede Resort? Share your experiences!