“Best holiday ever!”

Four Seasons Vilamoura
Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have just left Four Seasons and miss it already. Great spacious room, superb entertainment and very friendly staff. This resort has three outdoor pools and one indoor pool which our children absolutely loved. The food is very good and much cheaper than the nearby resturants. The old town location is very handy for everything without being in the crowded areas. This is a must for families with all the 5 star amenities at great value.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Tobhias
FourSeasonsVilamoura, Guest Relations Manager at Four Seasons Vilamoura, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Thank you very much for your review, your compliments, your rating and especially the title - what an outstanding accolade!
We are extremely pleased thrilled that you enjoyed our facilities, hospitality and cuisine so much, and sincerely hope that you will come back and visit us again.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Spent 10 days at the Four Seasons.
Immaculate, secure complex (fence and 24 hour security at entrance barrier).
I observed a lot of staff cleaning things you would not imagine over the course of the 10 days.
I observed one member of staff cleaning the tiles which were above the water-line - around the pool. A lot of attention to detail in this complex.

We had a studio room, which was very spacious. A concertina/pull/push barrier is in place between the bedroom segment and the rest of the studio. Spacious bathroom, with twin sinks and jacuzzi bath. Daily maid service. Apartment was very well equipped: washer/drier,dish washer, coffee machine, excellent fridge, excellent air-con unit.
My only niggle was the size of the balcony - very small. I would not hold this against the hotel.

Attended two themed buffet nights. As with all hotel buffets, do not expect gourmet dining.
Food good, plentiful and healthy salads provided.
Did not partake in the breakfast.

3 spacious pools. Even though we were there in the high season, the complex did not feel crammed or busy. No towels on balconies, no blaring music around the pools, no holidays reps. running around. There were a few persistent sun-bed bandits who religiously stake their territory claims each morning. Towards the end of the holiday, a few adults started playing ball games in the kids pool, which I felt was a bit harsh on the little ones (main pool seemed to be quiet always).

Location: as stated many times, the hotel is a bit out of the center (which has its own advantages). We had a hire car. There do not seem to be many pavements between the hotel and Vilamoura center, so a bit risky walking in my opinion.

The staff at the Four Seasons are a credit to the hotel and to Portugal.
They could not do enough for us. Always friendly, polite and professional.
We will definitely come back, although, we will get a larger one bed apartment, as they have larger balconies.

i would recommend this hotel if you want a quiet, relaxed, safe, friendly environment.
No noisy nights, no over-boisterous clientele, no towels on balconies.

2  Thank aarakis

Thank you for you thorough and complimentary review, and for the excellent rating.
Thank you also, for noticing and mentioning our fastidious attention to detail.
We are very pleased that you enjoyed, and took advantage of our facilities and that you consider us to be a friendly, safe and relaxed place to be.
For future reference; you mentioned a lack of sidewalks. If you walk through the 'Old Village', it is a very pleasant pedestrian route that comes out just metres from the beginning of the pavement.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We (family of four) stayed in this hotel for a week in August. The room was extermely spacious with two double rooms (one on-suite), great full-fitted kitchenette and lounge/dining area. We left all our valuables in the safe, no problems with security. The kids really liked the pools and exploring the hotel.

Now for potential improvements:
1. Do not have breakfast here as it is mundane and extortionate. We had continental breakfast for the first two days and were stung for 100 euros. For the rest of the holiday, we had our own cereal, toast and eggs and probably cost us less than 30 euro for the whole week. I suppose that is why they provide a kichenette!
2. The car parking spaces are extremely tight. There are columns everywhere and I actually manged to scratch the car on one of them. You could take the option of parking outside and walking in, but difficult if you have just been shopping or back from the beach.
3. The service can be improved - we asked for shampoo everyday for three days and eventually got some. Not a big problem, but would expect better service for the amount you pay for the privilege of staying here.

Villamoura itself is a nice town, but got extremely crowded in the marina in the evening. However, that is expected in any Algarve resort in August. Therefore, we spent a lot of time visiting towns and beaches outside Algarve. Lisbon, Evora and the beach at Odeceixe and Sagres are well worth a visit. Driving is easy and fast.

Portugal is nice, but you really need to go outside the tourist traps to appreciate it. Otherwise, you may as well go to Ibiza, Benidorm etc.

1  Thank LazyRico
FourSeasonsVilamoura, Guest Relations Manager at Four Seasons Vilamoura, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thank you for your review and your observations. We are pleased that you enjoyed your accommodation and our facilities.
With regard to some of your comments; our buffet breakfast is far from mundane. It is varied and extensive, we even offer personally prepared omelettes. The charge of 11.95 is reasonable, considering that you can eat as much as you want.
The parking spaces are sized in accordance with the required legislation. One must drive carefully, but there is always the option of dropping off supplies or luggage and then parking above ground.
I apologise for there not being shampoo for three days, it is extremely unusual that our Housekeeping team would disregard the requests of any of our guests.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Just returned from a fantastic 5 days at Four Seasons Resort. The 2 children absolutely loved the pools and the atmosphere. The resort felt so safe and my boyfriend and i were content with the Children being around the resort and in and out of the pools without worrying about them and their safety. The staff were all excellent and the service in the restaurants and snack bar was faultless at all times of day.

Only 2 gripes microwave in apartment didn't work and jacuzzi was not working for a couple of days but both hardly worth mentioning really and did not spoil the week at all. We would definitely return, great value for money.

We too the children to visit some family who were staying over at the Hilton and both Children commented that they much preferred our room/resort.......So high praise indeed!!!

1  Thank Jacqueline D
FourSeasonsVilamoura, Guest Relations Manager at Four Seasons Vilamoura, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

It is fantastic to hear that you all had such a fabulous time and enjoyed our facilities and service. It is also great to hear that your children preferred us over others, please thank them for us.
Thank you for your wonderful review and compliments. We hope to see you all again sometime soon.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We have just returned after transferring our two time share weeks to this resort. The resort is quite far from the centre and so is a hike with small children especially in the heat (it was 40 some days). We rented a car but at night Vilamoura becomes one massive traffic jam so it is often quicker to walk. We spent most days travelling around the Algrave and visiting towns and beaches. I would recommend Silves, Lagos and if you are willing to travel further afield a trip to Lisbon. Quarteria (the next town along) as a Gypsy market which is worth a trip for something to do on a Wednesday morning.

The Four Seasons was difficult to find at night but luckily we saved the route to our phone so it did not take us as long as other people to find it! We stayed in an updated apartment which was spacious. Unfortunately on our last full day we awoke to floods of water come through the ceiling in most of the rooms and around the light fittings from the apartment above. We immediately called Reception to tell them it was a dangerous situation. They said they would report it. My husband woke the kids and took them out of the room (we did not know where this water was from, may have been waste), I ran around the apartment placing buckets to catch the water and towels to soak it up from the floor. The bread, cereal and croissants I had bought for breakfast were on the counter top and were ruined! I hastily packed our three suitcases so we could move our stuff out of the way. We notified Reception of the issue at 7.30 and finally at 8am a maintenance man turned up who could not have been more dis-interested. He said it must be the apartment upstairs!!!!! He left and we again waited! By 8.30 we had had enough I had run out of towels and the water was breaking through to more places so we decided to walk over to Reception to see what was happening. Only then did they send housekeeping over to start to clean the place up. The people in the apartment above were unaware of the flood and were awoken by the staff after we went to report it again at 8.30! My husband explained that we had no breakfast now because it was ruined and insisted that the Four Seasons provide breakfast which they did (although they did not offer this). We were moved to another apartment which was one of those still to be renovated with the canary yellow taps, not as nice as the first one. Our last day plans to take the kids to a water park down the coast had to be cancelled (as we had planned to get there early due to parking etc) as we did not get the room moved and sorted until 11am. Due to the fact that our day was ruined my husband asked for a late check out the next day so we could try and salvage the last last day of our holiday, we were point-blank refused without any understanding for the massive inconvenience we had experienced. I am a seasoned traveller and I know things happen and they can not be avoided however I believe that a true measure of the quality of an establishment is how they deal with such situations and in this case the Four Season failed in my many ways. I found myself running around their apartment moving furniture, picking up rugs and trying to prevent water damage for a good 30 minutes after reporting the issue before any assistance came. Despite ruining the last day of our holiday they failed to try and make it right instead they gave us breakfast (to replace the food ruined by the flood) and did not charge us the the last day of electricity! Hardly sufficient considering we were frantically running around with buckets and towels! To say we were disappointed by the response is an understatement. The late checkout would have gone some way to help us out but this was apparently an inconvenience for housekeeping! Overall the resort is nice, we only ate their once (the breakfast). The sunbeds were always kept by people who only used them later in the day (I used to watch the same people place their towels at 7am each morning). We would certainly not book here again.

Room Tip: The higher rooms are better due to the views and the lack of people above you as the noise from the...
1  Thank Kopite2007

We are exceptionally sorry for this unfortunate event, but as you mentioned yourselves, these things happen at the most unexpected times.
The problem was with the boiler in the apartment above yours, not from any waste pipes. We had to wake them in order to gain access to the boiler.
The staff member, that visited your apartment at 08:00, was a part of our night team and was not au fait with all aspects of maintenance work. I apologise if he appeared disinterested, but can assure that he was concerned. The problem was fully addressed when our senior maintenance team arrived at 09:00hrs.
Our Reception Team Leader has explained that breakfast was offered to you right away and that there was no requirement for any insistence.
The apartment that you moved into was occupied until that morning and had to be fully cleaned, prior to your moving in, 11:00hrs was the quickest that it could be satisfactorily accomplished.
August is our busiest month and consequently, the resort was completely full. The apartment that you moved in to, had an arrival that day, also. We could not offer you a late check out as it would have a knock on effect that would have unfairly inconvenienced the newly arriving guests. It had nothing whatsoever to do with any inconvenience to our staff. Our guests' satisfaction always comes before the convenience of our staff. We are here to provide a stellar service.
In summary, I want to stress how sorry that we are that your last day was marred by the water leak. If we could have done more, we would have. We are passionate about striving to ensure that all of our guests enjoy themselves and leave us wanting to return, so it is unfortunate that this incident has left you unhappy and unwilling to visit us again.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I could not fault anything about this Hotel/Apartment. The apartments were huge! Everything that you could need. We stayed in a 1 Bed on the 5th floor over looking the pool. Excellent view and was blown away by the size of the apartment. The bed was huge. Whirlpool bath, washer/dryer, fully equipped kitchen, excellent air conditioning, sofa bed for our two boys which was more than adequate. Large kitchen/living area. Balcony. Best apartment I have stayed in to date.

I felt the resort was extremely safe and was happy to let the kids wander around without constantly watching to see they were in my eyeline at all times which is comforting. Hotel is spotless and staff definitely go above any beyond. I like the little touches that the hotel provide like the fresh fruit a couple of times a day by the pool with the cool towels.

Facilities are excellent, 3 outdoor pools, 1 indoor with jacuzzi, games room, outdoor playground with sunshade. More than you could need.

The only thing I can fault is the taxi situation to the Marina ( I do accept that this is not down to the Four seasons and we did travel in peak season - August - but we did wait for 1hr one night for a taxi to the Marina, and 1 and 1/2 hours for a taxi back from the Marina on more than one occasion). The train is ok down and I know it is only a 15 minute walk but with small children (and no buggy) walking down is ok but walking back late at night is not always an option! However if the 4 Seasons did provide a Shuttle bus like the Hilton (which I see that the 4 Seaons actually have for staff, it would be a huge huge huge plus for guests coming back from the Marina!!!!!! It is the ONLY gripe staying a bit further out!

I would like to make a special mention to the reception staff who I found excellent, Bridget & Nadia & Alexandra (I think thats her name) and my son took a shine to the lovely guy at the pool bar who would say "here you go my friend" everytime he bought an ice cream . . . which was a lot!!!

Well done 4 Seasons, we will be back!

Room Tip: Higher floor - pool view - 53 Great Apartment.
3  Thank Scathed
FourSeasonsVilamoura, Guest Relations Manager at Four Seasons Vilamoura, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

We are very pleased that you and your family had a wonderful time with us and that you took advantage of our facilities.
Thank you very much for your fantastic compliments and for the special mentions, they are greatly appreciated.
I am sorry that the inconvenience that time wasted waiting for taxis causes and wish that there were a simple solution. I sincerely hope that it did not cause too much disruption.
Thank you very much for your review and for the excellent rating. I hope that we will have the pleasure of another visit from you, soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

A really really nice place. Rooms are huge. We visited in early August. Family of 4 in a one bed apartment. Kids slept on the sofa bed which is suitable even for adults - it's not one of the fold out types. Bed in the master bedroom is huge.

The hotel is located well away from the Marina area, but is easily accessed by taxi (€4-€6) or the landtrain which stops at the hotel. Landtrain takes 40 mins to reach marina! But only takes 10 mins for the return journey. Taxi's at the marina are a nightmare to get. Huges queues taking over half an hour to get a taxi back to the hotel - perhaps this was something to do with the time of year but it did put us off going into the marina. The couple of bars and restaurants of the Old Village are only a 3 minute stroll from the hotel. The quality of restaurant is good here, we liked Zanibar. We ignored the bad reports (here on Tripadvisor) about Casa de Largo, big mistake! The Scottish woman who served us has to be the rudest waitress I have ever come across. Avoid! That said the food wasn't bad but the incident with the waitress soured the night for us.

Pools are beautiful and grounds well maintained. We used the pool with the slope entrance which was great for kids. Max dept of this pool was 1.2 metres I think. The other pool goes to a depth of 2.4 metres. Food was very good here, we had lunch on several days. The themed food evenings are good, we did the BBQ on the Saturday night. We had breakfast on the day of departure at a cost of €47 euro for two adults and two kids which I thought was outrageously expensive and not in line with the value for money for lunch, dinner etc.

Overall it is probably the best apartment accomodation I've ever stayed in while on a sun holiday. The staff are very very friendly and really helped make the experience a good one.

1  Thank paul c
FourSeasonsVilamoura, Guest Relations Manager at Four Seasons Vilamoura, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you very much for your insightful and flattering review and for your five star rating.
We are extremely happy that you enjoyed your accommodation and our facilities. That you wrote "...it is probably the best apartment accommodation that I've stayed in..." is one of the nicest accolades we have ever received and an outstanding compliment, thank you so much.
I am just very sorry that you felt our breakfast buffet was overpriced. I sincerely hope that it did not upset you, too much. Also, it is a shame about your dining experience, in the Old Village. Hopefully, any negatives will soon be forgotten and you will come back and visit us again, soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamoura
Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa
Vila Gale Ampalius
Vila Gale Ampalius
#10 of 36 in Vilamoura
As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Four Seasons Vilamoura? Share your experiences!