“Very enjoyable stay”

Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton for 9 nights with my wife & 17 year old son for our 20th Wedding Anniversary last week & had a very enjoyable holiday. The hotel is located a fair distance from the Marina, but the benefits are larger grounds, more space and next to an impressive golf course. There is a regular shuttle bus, but constant queuing & waiting, as it can only take 12 people - not a good thing in high season, so this needs to be increased in July / August. Taxis can vary between Euro 5.00 - 8.00 which is acceptable, but the queues in Vilamoura to get back are terrible - 20-30 min wait !
The rooms are fabulous, with impressive bathrooms, where we had a King Family Suite on Floor 1 & Pool View. My son had his own bathroom, but the fold away bed was disappointing for such a luxury room & for a 17 year old was not too comfortable.
The breakfast was good, with tasty omelettes and variety of cold meats / cheeses, cereals and usual dishes. For a 5 *, there should be some bubbly at breakfast time. The Pool Bar really needs to have a reduction in the drinks / food prices and definitely offers / happy hour every day, as this would keep the guests spending in the hotel, not going out to buy everything in the supermarkets. Lunchtime menu was limited & expensive - they need to have basic salads / sandwiches / baguettes, rather than chips / pizza / burgers at Euro 15.00 +.
The adult pool with Jacuzzi was definitely the place to be, as our son was old enough to be there too. Not too busy and managed to get loungers every day, again it's high season, so very busy as expected.
The staff were exceptional and I would like to thank them all for their help during our stay, with a lovely bottle of bubbly for our Anniversary on ice in our room, as a surprise. We intend to visit Vilamoura a lot in the future and will definitely make the Hilton our choice of hotel for our stay.
Mr. G Phillips

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
HiltonVilamoura, General Manager at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear Mr Phillips,

We are delighted that you chose the Hilton Vilamoura to celebrate your 20th Wedding Anniversary and very much appreciate the time taken to write such a detailed review.

I’m very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that we made an impression, both in terms of the service and facilities; in particular, the rooms, breakfast choice and adult pool. I regret your son was not entirely comfortable with the fold away bed and we’ll be sure to find a more suitable solution on your next visit. We will also be addressing your thoughtful suggestions on the shuttle service, pool bar prices, lunchtime menu and bubbly at breakfast with the team at our next management meeting.

It was a pleasure to have you with us and we feel very honoured that you will be making the Hilton your hotel of choice on your future visits to Vilamoura.

David Ecija

Write a ReviewReviews (2,683)

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Fantastic hotel, lovely room loved the bathroom great location. Check out Harry's bar! Adult pool area great nice pool. Great vocalist in the bar and the bar staff were wonderful great cosmopolitan and lemon martini!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonVilamoura, General Manager at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Vilamoura for your weekend break and the excellent rating on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted you enjoyed the hotel location and facilities in addition to the entertainment and drinks in the ‘Rubi’ bar.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed here with my wife and three kids 9,9 and 13 in a nice two bedroom apartment
asked for a pool view, but go more of a garden view as we were on ground floor
Start with the breakfasts, nice fruits, breads and juices all fresh and replenished quickly but the supposed hot food was a disaster, how people put up with cold and overcooked food is beyond me, way too many people here are prepared to put up with a quality of food they would not countenance at home so why allow it here?
I complained after day 1 and we generally cooked our own food in our apartment. Lars the ops director allowed 24 euro per day off our bill which equates to €4.80 per person per breakfast, if that's what they value breakfast at probably explains the poor quality of the supposedly hot buffet
Rooms were cleaned very well every day and we tipped the cleaning staff appropriately
Very little to do for my kids. No animation team and a poor kids club that my kids got bored with after 15 minutes
there is a golf simulator that was broken during my stay and I would imagine it is still out of action.
We ate one night in the a la carte Aqualera restaurant, it was a complete nightmare
My prawns were served with their entrails attached-YUK
My wifes crab mouse contained 3 large parts of the shell, about the size of a one cent coin-WHERE IS THE QUALITY CONTROL??????
There was no fillet steak available as they had ran out, imagine a Hilton Hotel with no fillet steak
whatever they served me was not the sirloin that I requested, it was cold and already cut up for me-how nice NOT
The pool area was very good, staff really nice, lunch was good staff great
Prices at the pool bar are extortionate €4 for coke, €4.5 for water, with 5 people you could easily spend 60-70 euro a day
this place could be good but a lack of pride or care for the customer is holding this place back
as a regular Hilton user I will not return here

Room Tip: ask for a upper pool room as 0040 looks into the garden
3  Thank RayT1962

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to learn that your experience at the Hilton Vilamoura was not what you had hoped for. Although you acknowledge that the accommodations and cleaning were to your satisfaction in addition to the pool facilities and staff, it seems we failed to provide quality food and service on more than one occasion.

In spite of our attempt to minimise the inconvenience during your stay, I am very sorry that you left the hotel feeling disappointed and not wanting to return.

Please accept our sincere apologies for these shortcomings. We will be sure to share your comments with the teams for corrective action and continue to work hard at delivering world renowned hospitality to ensure that all our guests are made to feel very welcome and well taken care of.

We value our guests’ loyalty and hope you will reconsider visiting again at some point in the future.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights in September 2012. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms are stylish with large balconies. Breakfast is really good with lots of choice. The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle bus to the marina but you could also walk it within about 25mins. Overall we had a lovely stay and would recommend to others.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonVilamoura, Director of Operations at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for posting an "excellent" rating about Hilton Vilamoura on this website.

All of us at the hotel are extremely happy to read your positive comments about our hotel. Your comments about breakfast have been shared with our teams.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back still this year and maybe again in September.

Warm regards,

Reviewed July 28, 2013

The hotel is lovely - big enough to have a wonder around but not too big to be impersonal. There's pools for everyone, even a no children pool (for us this was nice). We were there just before it got really busy (end of June) and I think this helped the overall stay as although it was busy it was nice.
Food in the hotel is expensive when you look at the prices of meals at the Marina, ( there's a free shuttle throughout the day to the beech and in the evening the Marina; use it - it's a good service). We had breakfast in the hotel each day and it was good, we had lunch some days and that was really nice but the evening food - as I say it was expensive for what you got.
The staff are wonderful, without exception, from the drivers to the reception staff, their clear and obvious aim is to be good and to help you have the best holiday - for us this helped the holiday be even better; Thank you!!!
The room was fab, a clear glass wall separated the bath from the room, it was a great talking point when we first went into our room. The room was clean, fresh, air con,fresh towels each day everything you expect from a good hotel but don't always get it.
Some people have commented about where the best rooms are; ours was 3rd floor overlooking the pool, it was fine, we had no issues with noise at all. When the doors are closed the noise it blocked out. I can see why some people would like to overlook the golf course it is really quiet there - no one passes at all. It was nice though to sit on the balcony of our room and look at the pool area ( the main area), when there was evening entertainment in the restaurant you got a birds eye view!!
We would highly recommend the hotel.
The area around it was quiet, a good 20min walk to the marina in the heat it's a bit draining, but a lovely walk none the less; we probably would have prefers a little closer. All in all a great and very restful holiday.

Room Tip: I guess it would depend at what time of year you stayed, we enjoyed being over the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ohdy

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Vilamoura for your holiday in June and taking the time to write about your experience on TripAdvisor.

I see you were especially impressed with the accommodations, pool facilities and free shuttle service to the beach and marina. I’m disappointed however that you felt we don’t offer good value meals in the evening, unlike breakfast and lunch which you enjoyed very much.

I am delighted that our staff played such a key role in enhancing the quality of your stay and that you had a wonderful and relaxing time.

Thank you for the endorsement of our ‘lovely hotel’ and we’ll be looking forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed for 10 nights from 8th July through 18th July in room 4240. Our room was kept very clean by the housekeeping staff and was well appointed, comfortable, quiet and over looked the golf course. We are Diamond Hilton Honours members so had free Wi-Fi and breakfast. All the staff we encountered at the hotel were helpful and the staff in the restaurant at breakfast worked particularly hard. The hotel grounds are beautifully landscaped (photos included with this review) and there is a multitude of pools to choose from - the undercover indoor/outdoor pool was particularly useful if you wanted to stay out of the sun for a while. There is an adults only pool and the top pool was less crowded and sun loungers always seemed available there.

The spa was well appointed and equipped - my only criticism was that children over age 6 were allowed into the 'social areas' of the spa (including the pools and surrounding relaxing beds) from 9.30 - 11am. One morning when I was in spa there were a couple of children much younger than 6 in the pool area making a good deal of noise which detracted from the tranquil atmosphere. I have a young son myself but the spa should be an adult area at all times - there is an abundance of pools for the children to play in on the hotel side and I don't think it's realistic to expect spa staff to have to police the behaviour of guests children.

My other hotel management suggestion is to have a designated smoking area a short distance from the main pool area - currently guests are allowed to smoke anywhere in the pool areas. The dangers of second hand smoke have been well documented. The sun loungers in the pool area are very close together and it is very unpleasant to be relaxing by the pool when someone lights up next to you and their smoke wafts all over you (and your children)! This happened to me twice - on the second occasion the guest asked me if it was ok to put up an umbrella (it was) but then proceeded to light up and their smoke blew all over us...

Some other reviewers have said food was expensive at the resort - I think it was too. The evening buffet menu was 30 Euros a person for an adult and 16 Euros for children and the restaurant never really appeared to be busy during our stay. I think reducing the price to 22 for adults and 8 for children (including a soft drink) would have increased up take to the restaurant. We had two wonderful meals at Il Lamparo on the marina, a very inexpensive and good meal at Braganca Mar and another two lovely meals at a great fish restaurant on the marina O Cesteiro. We also had a good meal at O Pirata only a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

1  Thank RoseInCambridge

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your "good" rating of our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am extremely pleased to read such positive feedback about our hotel in this review. Your comments have been shared with the entire operations team and I have forwarded a personal note to the entire restaurant and breakfast staff that you have highlighted for their hard work.

As you have rightfully said, there are a multitude of swimming pools to choose from in the resort. I have taken on board your comment about having a specified smoking area near the main pool. I will surely look into this.

Regarding your comments about the 7Spa, I have forwarded these to the Spa Manager. The comments about the prices in our restaurants have been discussed with our Food and Beverage Manager, however I would like to highlight that we offer a discounted price for our half board option when you make your booking or when you arrive at the hotel.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future,

Best regards,

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We are still staying here at the moment at room 2050. Our room hasnt been cleaned when we came back! In 24 hours, we were out from 9am till 3pm and just put a do not disturb sign at the door about 3pm coz our little boy is asleep and we went out at 5pm and come back at 11:40pm only to find out its not been checked and cleaned! Reception was not even apologitic and thought its our fault for putting do not disturb sign at the door! stayed in many Hilton Hotels before, London, Manchester and Liverpool but this is worst! wer paying for a family suite as well but ended up with a disabled access room! Having a great time in Portugal but the stay in this Hotel is not a good experience!

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having taken the time to comment about our hotel on Tripadvisor.
Unfortunately the post was put online after you had checked out and we could not action our shortcomings in terms of the room cleaning for you. Besides the post on Tripadvisor, it is very beneficial for us to know this during your stay so that the proper follow up can be done from our side as we discuss all guest feedback in our daily operational meetings.

I do hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back to Portugal and to the Hilton Vilamoura.

Director of Operations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamoura
Four Seasons Vilamoura
As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa
EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
#2 of 154 in Albufeira

Been to Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!