“Poor food, average hotel”

Hotel Apartamentos do Golf
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Vilamoura
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for a week half board. I will start with the plus points...

The room was bright and spacious and the maid visited daily.

The pool was clean enough most days and large enough for plenty of guests.

The grass around the pool is much nicer than a mass of concrete.

There was about the right amount of sunbeds for guests.

Sunbeds could be coupled with supplied cushions making them much more comfortable.

The staff were generally good, nothing exceptional.

There was a fridge in the room.

And the negatives...

Staff do not ask "how is the food?" or "can I get you another drink?" etc. (I get around this by ordering a couple of drinks each at the start so you don't have to track them down.

The staff used an extremely loud and smelly leave blower for about 2.5 hours on 2 separate days to blow away a very small layer of hedge cuttings (hedge trimmer was also loud but they did it at night), it was the same as sunbathing with someone sitting revving up a massive motorbike right next to you. A brush would be an inifitely more considerate and effective choice!

I emailed about 3 weeks prior to visiting and asked for an upper floor room with a nice balcony view. I got a ground floor room with a ridiculously rubbish view.

The balcony door was nearly impossible to open and then re-lock due to the handle buttons being extremely stiff and the locking technique requiring a big slam and button push at the same time! My partner couldn't even open it at all so I had to do it for her every time. We only used the balcony to dry clothes and towels because the view was rubbish.

The bathroom needed a good scrub with bleach to get rid of the mega mildew in the tile grouting.

Our apartment was below the car park and so the bathroom window had to remain 100% shut to stop people walking by looking in (very easy to do!) It also meant the noisy scooters/cars woke you up at all hours.

The aircon was rather weak. We left it on up full every day (spare card in the slot) and it was just about adequate. It didn't actually regulate a constant temperature (IE: it was only low, medium or high despite having a celsius measurement) and so we woke up freezing on a couple of nights.

The safe was 14 euros a week which is tight considering they just remove the lock barrel until you pay for it, pretty ridicuous not to just include it.

There was no freezer compartment in the fridge.

The breakfast was pretty average, budget cereal, very budget bacon, the orange juice and toast were nice though.

The food was terrible on some nights. My first night I ordered "black grouper fish" and it was the worst thing I've ever received from a restaurant, completely overcooked and tasteless, my partner tried it and also hated it. One night there was a pork and mushroom sauce thing that was actually very nice.

The half board menu was always as follows:

Starter: Soup or salad
Main: Fish or chicken/beef
Dessert: Cheap mass-produced cakes that tasted oily

On the last night we asked if we could order from the normal menu and we were told we could only order some stuff which was fair enough, wish we'd asked on day one! Hotel Management: If you are willing to aloow that you should make it clear because it would make the food choice much more pleasant, some nights we almost asked for just soup because the choice was rubbish.

You got chips with nearly every meal, I was actually so sick of them by the end of the holiday!

The free shuttle bus didn't turn up one day and someone eventually called the hotel to ask why and it turned up about 1.5 hours later!

The beds were literally SOLID; the hardest bed I have ever slept in. Both of us found them pretty uncomfortable.

Nothing to do with the hotel but the marina taxi queue took about 30 minutes of waiting before we got to a taxi!

Summary:

I wouldn't return to the hotel or recommend it but I wouldn't go out my way to discourage anyone from trying it out.

If you want to go do not go half board. The dinner food menu was still limited but had much more choice than the measly option 1 or option 2 for the half board "menu"! The normal menu was priced fine and so I strongly discourage choosing half board.

Hire a car, the parking is ample and unless you want to just go to the marina or beach then you are stuck.

Room Tip: I think they're all pretty average but try not to get a left hand side one with the car park dir...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ABReview

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We needed a hotel for a one night stay in Vilamoura prior to checking-in to our villa. This reeasonably priced hotel is in an excellent location (next to the Old Course), has very friendly staff and a good size pool. The one bedroom rooms are spacious and the pool is a good sized. The food wasn't particularly appealing but there are more than enough restaurants in Vilamoura itself.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This hotel is clean and basic, with beautifully maintained grounds and pool. The room was quite large and had all the facilities needed to prepare food. Our room was serviced daily and fresh towels brought in. The shuttle bus to the marina is quite handy, although the last one leaves at 5pm so we found that a little too early to go in for the night. Overall we had a good time, this place is so relaxed. The only issue we encountered was when the lady came in to clean one morning - I was literally only getting out of bed when she bombarded me about a towel and the few make up marks that were on it. She had very poor English so basically kept saying "no" at me. I found this extremely off-putiing. As any female will know, it is near on impossible not to mark the towel when drying one's face after wearing make-up, but it is simply removed in the wash. This incident was a little bit of a spoiler of that day!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This is a hard hotel for me to rate. We went there as my girlfriend had previously visited with a friend and had a great time. The room we ended up in was very clean and quite spacious, the staff seemed nice, the grounds well were-kept and the pool a good size, without being unduly busy. So far so good, and I would probably have given it about 4 out of 5 if this were the full story (it's nice, without being luxurious).

However, the problem is with the room we were given when we turned up. To put this in perspective, my girlfriend (having visited only a few weeks before), had emailed and asked for the same or a similar room. When we saw what we'd been given, we were pretty horrified. It was basically like a prison cell: the tiny balcony looked out directly onto a dusty road; the room was so small that you could touch the kitchen hob whilst lying in bed, and there were no work surfaces to prepare food (making cooking effectively impossible). The room was dark, dingy and a 2* standard. To top it all of, when we asked reception, they said that although we'd (very politely) emailed ahead, they couldn't always agree to requests. Fair enough, but putting someone who'd specially asked for something in the worst room possible seemed to be based either on spite or a total disregard for their customers.

Eventually, after much hassle, and having been told all the rooms were full, we were moved to a better room - in fact, incomparably better, as it was at least twice the size, with a proper kitchen, sofa, actual natural light etc. But I would definitely not go back, because I wouldn't want to risk ending up in the bad room or one similar again - it would have ruined the stay there, and was a 2* experience. Which is a shame, as the other rooms are nice, but be warned of the risk!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rf263
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This hotel was brilliant. Went for 1 week with my mum. Staff were really friendly and helpful, they booked are excursions and taxis for us. Mini bus to the marina and beach was always on time. Walked to the marina most evenings, takes about 50mins, then got a taxi back for about 6 euros. Hotel also had a nice bar which was reasonably priced. Nice pool with plently of sun loungers. Studio Apartment was big enough for two, had a microwave, kettle, toaster, fridge and hob, hairdryer, clean towels every day. Already looking to go again!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 3, 2012

A friend and I wanted a tabbing break to escape the Olympics in London so picked the cheapest decent looking hotel online and lucked out! Self catering studio was spacious, clean, tastefully done, well designed and had a huge private balcony. Pool beautifully kept with lovely lawns to sunbathe on and lovely padded loungers. Pool bar staff friendly and food well priced. Receptionists helpful - one called around garages when I smashed my wing mirror (oops!). We had a problem with the bath plug and called reception - a maintenance man was with us in ten mins and sorted it immediately. Maids cleaned and mopped every day. The service was great.
We had a car so could pootle around the resort which was well worth it but to be honest we were pretty blissed out just sunbathing and pottering.
We are pretty fussy on some fronts and were so impressed as it was clean, classy, simple and friendly. It was not flashy and doesn't pretend to be so it's just a quiet, calm lovely place to stay.

Poked my head into a non self catering hotel room and though it looked nice not a patch on the studio. Supermarket two mins walk away if you don't have a car. Taxi to marina about seven euros. slightly irritating wifi arrangement in that you have to pay and can only get it in reception.

It's a gem, almost reluctant to give it a good review as don't want it to get too popular in case there is no space for me next year! X

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank RjaneD
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Me and my boyfriend have just returned from staying at the Apartmento Do Golf. The complex is lovely with just a small selection of villas placed around a private pool, making it a very relaxing tranquil stay. The complex consists of a restaurant, bar, games room and internet, costing 1 euro per 15 minutes.

We pre-paid for accommodation with breakfast and evening meal which cost £450 pp for 9 days from June 26. The apartment was lovely, very clean with maid service daily and a luxury bathroom with shower and large sink area. Each room had their own balcony either overlooking the pool area, mountains or the nearest golfing area. The grounds of the complex were immaculate and the pool was cleaned every night.

The staff were very polite and helpful and the food was tasty too. Breakfast was buffet style with a selection of either a cooked English, french, fruit, cereal, tea and coffee or everything if you wanted, as it was self service. The evening meals were good too. A three course meal with a choice of two-three options from each section (drinks weren't included in what we paid)

The resort itelf is very very quiet with just a small supermarket, a two minute walk from the complex. There is an hourly bus service outside the complex where you can travel for just a few euros to neighbouring Quarteira Marina (10 mins by bus) or Albufeira (30 minutes by bus). Quarteira consists of bars and restaurants by the marina as well as a beach. This area is great for the elderly and younger holiday goers. Albufeira is much louder and fast-pasted, rather like Magaluff or Benidorm, in terms of atmosphere, but classier. It too has a lovely clean beach.

We both enjoyed having the tranquility of the apartment complex, but also having the opportunity to get buses to these other areas. It's definately a place you could go to for a week and see everything. A 14 day stay may be too much for those wanting to do something everyday
When we stayed, there were both youngish couples (around 25/30yrs) and elderly couples as well as young familes with small children.

Overall, the complex was wonderfully peaceful and we had a very relaxing enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple