“Cheap and cheerful - good value for money!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rio Apartments

Rio Apartments
Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Cheap and cheerful - good value for money!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

For what we paid I was very sceptical, I needn't had been! Clean, comfy bed, good size apartments, helpful reception, will call you a taxi in the evening if needed otherwise the marina is a nice 25 min walk, through a park or 5 euro each way. Good size pool, cheap pool bar open all day! Lots of places to sit around the pool. Supermarket at end of road that's reasonable... Mateus for 3 euros a bottle and fresh bread baked there every morning! Water park is 10 euros away in taxi, get tickets at reception and you get discount. Overall would stay again for a cheap break, if your looking for luxury go elsewhere and pay more but if your looking for a good location, clean facilities then this is ideal!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Laurah1109

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my husband for six nights . It's exactly what you expect for the price if not better . Bar serves cheap drinks and good snacks . Pool is nice and no need to wake early to reserve sunbeds !

25 minute walk to marina where so many lovely bars and restaurants .

Will return again .

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Ajh222
Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

I booked 10 days away here with my best friend and we will definitely not be coming back. We asked for a room with a pool view yet were just given a tree view at the back of the hotel which wasn't that great.
We were out a lot of the time but when asking for directions or where to go the reception lady was very rude and couldn't follow English very well. We didn't feel welcome at all, I don't know if this is because of resident’s negativity towards young people or they just were not feeling particularly pleasant. The worker at the main store around the corner would just stare at us and follow us around the shop as if we were going to steal something which became very offending considering the amount we were spending in the shop each time.
The room we were given wasn't very clean. Throughout our stay the sheets were only changed once and fresh towels were only replaced once during our stay. Moreover, the bins in our apartment were only emptied once so by the end we had a stack load of rubbish (unhygienic I know). The reception was nearly always closed so there was nobody we could ask as to what we should do with it.
The kitchen in our apartment was awful. Handles and knobs were halfway hanging off the cupboards - even one of the doors had broke. We had minimal cooking items and the cupboards inside looked like the needed a good wash.
The pool outside was freezing and never cleaned, there was so many flies and bugs and all sorts in it. Really disappointing.
Lastly, on our final day we were unable to get the deposit back for our safe as the reception was conveniently closed so I bet our money slipped into her pocket.
Overall we had really bad service, people were rude and we definitely will never be returning!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Stephanie G

Travelers are raving about these Vilamoura hotels

Cheshire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Clean and great amenities with the apartment - wished it had air con though, as it was very hot.
Receptionist - depending whom you got was great, if booking trips as we did one booked it on the wrong requested day for us (My birthday) so we waited for shuttle pick up to realise we weren't going anywhere - disappointed however the older lady on reception was helpful & lovely (would love to know her name)
Pool & restaurant area was great!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank SeanRogers
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Ok I feel a very strong want to tell you about this beautiful complex. I will put it n short for people who do not want to read all.....

-20mins walk to marina
-4-6€ taxi to mania
-€9-10 to water park
-10 min walk to old village (only recommend it for meals as there is not much there)
-rooms cleaned every 2days (clean towels, beds made)
- bar/ restaurant in complex open 6 days a week(food is lovely! Recommend the steak cooked on hot stone) (closed on a Monday)
-reception is cheap for deals and day trips
-2 pools , one is a kids pool

Ok here is go, I went alone , I wasn't alone from the minute I arrived, everyone is so friendly! I upgraded from this side, no need to do that, as soon as I arrived I asked for a poolside apartment as I was alone, so that I could sit on balcony at nights if I didn't meet anyone. Straight away I was offered a choice of two rooms! The rooms are clean and tidy and fully equipped (toaster,kettle,microwave,cooker and a load of cutlery . I was amazed it was so well layer out, no air con or fans, I was there end of June and it was starting to get very warm.
This resort is a very family friendly place, which I think suits everyone , even if you want to party , a taxi to the marina is 5 mins..... The beach is also beside the marina, it's gorgeous down there too.

The local supermarket is at the end of the road, 5 mins. I got all my breakfast things and water etc.... I ate out most nights. The marina is full of places to go! If you live fish your in for a massive treat!

I went to the aqua show water park for the day €23 .... Was a great day too... Shuttle bus is €8 9-4pm

I I'll be returning here next year, the family that owns it are so friendly . A man lost his wallet the first day of his holidays , he was with his wife and 2year old son, the family let him run a tab! Who else would do that.

The pool is lovely, it's not heated, now. Read on here before I went that it was freezing! It's not that bad, and to be honest you need it to cool down!

I had an amazing time!

Krystina (northern Ireland)

Ps bring a mobile phone if your arriving in after 6pm as reception is shut, there is a number to ring:-)))) enjoy!

Room Tip: Pool side is lovely at night if you want to chill on balcony, the other side of the building has gar...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank KrystinaX
Llandeilo, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and stayed here for 4 nights last week. It was 28/30 degs during the day and about 22/24 at night. We are in our early sixties and after a very long and hard working year we needed sun and rest. We read the reviews but we saved our judgements until the end of our stay. We chose self catering because it gives us more freedom but we didn't anyway, just had breakfast, lunch and ate out in the evening.
We arrived about 10.30pm and were met by the receptionist who had waited for us ! Our room was a corner unit with two balconies, one overlooking the rear garden one side and the other over the side garden and not very busy side road. We had the sun on the rear balcony in the evening whilst enjoying our own happy hour ! Lots of attractive foliage.
Clean apartment, towels changed on 3rd day but will supply others if any "disasters".
The apartments (not a tower block) were situated in a very pleasant residential area with a short stroll to the small but adequate local supermarket where we obtained all our supplies. We found the area pretty quiet with limited activity. If you want shops and lots of activity then travel to the Marina at Vilamoura,5mins in taxi but about 30 min walk. Huge selection of restaurants, bars and shops.
The apartment was adequately supplied with it's own kitchen complete with fridge, toaster, kettle, oven/hob and utensils. Two single beds, table and chairs, wardrobe, chest of drawers, lock up safe,TV (local channels) and plenty of space to move about. Short on plug points but they supplied a 3 block extension lead. Only complaint - no air con, but I think a fan is available if you ask for one.
The Restaurant and bar were both very homely and well attended by Luis and Isabella, who were very friendly and professional with their presentation of the menu(s),excellent value and excellent food. Their day off was a Monday so we walked to the Old Village (20 mins). Good selection of restaurants and bars.(Watch the prices!)
The Rio's pool(s) were clean and well maintained, with lots of sunbeds. Residents of all ages and multinational.
Receptionist available every day between 9am and 7pm.
This was our third visit to Vilamoura and this venue was very excellent value, we loved it. If you want 5 star then pay 5 star !

Room Tip: Personally would not want room overlooking the pool or bar. Corner rooms certainly seem a little mor...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AliGra_13
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Having read some reviews we were not expecting much,but these other reviews were nowhere near what these apartments are like.Our apartment was over the bar overlooking a great pool.The apartments was very clean with toaster, microwave etc, not what i was expecting.The ladies at reception were vanda and sandra and were very helpful .The bar was very nice and the food they serve was as good if not better then whats on offer at the marina.The walk to the marina is about 20 mins ,but its a really nice walk.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family