We stared for a week in the Rio Apertments at the end of August. The transfer was about 40 minutes and the reception was bright clean and open. We arrived at about 1pm but the reception seems to be closed often (even when guests are expected). This it my main tip for them. Check what flights people are on and be at reception to greet them. The lady was very nice and the room was smallish but clean. The balcony was very small and there was a big branch of one of the many trees trying to take ofver the space. The grounds maintenance really need to cut back the trees as they block light and encroach on living space.
The rooms was never cleaned while we were there but as there was only two of us and we never at in the apartment this wasn't such a big deal to us.
The pool was small and the loungers were constantly booked with peoples towels (many of who never come down and used them) it was very smokey and n ot very nice. There was a large grass area with trees for the rest of us. It was beautiful. Quiet and bright. You could either lie under the shade of a tree or enjoy the sunshine. If you visit skip the pool area and lie out here away from the smokers and rude people. (p.s. Most of htese towel leaving, lounger stealing, no showers were british!)
There wasn't much around. A supermarket at the bottom of the street to the left next to the newsagent. It had most things and wasn't anymore expensive than the supermarkets by the marina or in the small town area.
There was a pizza Restaurnat a little further downt he road but i wouldn't recomend it as the service was terrible and the pizza was only ok at best.
The restaurant attached to the Rio Apartment was very good. It was always open and the food was very very tasty. It appeared to be a family run restaurnat with mum and dad as front of house and the daughters cooking etc. The food was very good and i recoment the steak portuguese style. It was one of the bes t dishes i have ever had. The Piri Piri Chicken was also very good. We hapily at at this restaurant 3 or 4 times and the food was consistantly good. The prices were on par for the region and a fraction of the price you would pay at the marina.
All in all if you fancy a quiet break to recharge you batteries this is deffinately a place to go, quiet friendly and relaxing. If you want a more lively holiday perhaps stay by the marina or book a cab down as it's about 20 minutes of a walk and there isn't really a very direct route you will only find it by trial and error. Never the less it makes for an enjoyable walk.
p.s. If you arer into fitness there is an area between the main road that has fitness areas about every 100 metres apart with bars to do push-up and sit-up etc. It's very clever and i think they should do this in more places (even in Scotland!)
I'm looking forward to going back to Villamoura and Portugal
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rio Tourist complex consisting of 64 apartments of typology T0, T1 and T2, recently remodeled, all have kitchen, bedroom, balcony, bathroom and television. They are integrated in green areas, which include swimming pool, restaurant / bar and reception. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Rio Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rio Apartments Hotel Vilamoura
- Rio Apartments Vilamoura, Portugal - Algarve