“Great Place”
Review of Rio Apartments

Rio Apartments
Ranked #23 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here for 7 days mid September , rooms were clean & had everything required for a S/C holiday , nice pool & pool area & the on site steak house bar/restaraunt serves excellent food with good service to boot . A nice 15-20 minute walk to the wonderful marina or beach where there is a vast selection of restaraunts & bars to choose from depending on your taste . Would recommend the Rio Apartments to anyone looking for a value for money holiday but just remember that it is a 3 star & not a 5 star which going by some of the reviews i have read is what some people are expecting .

Room Tip: Had a room facing gardens which seemed to be a lot cooler than those facing pool .
1  Thank ben2508
There are newer reviews for Rio Apartments

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Me and my husband Dave were apprehensive about staying here because of the mixed reviews. However i would say we got what we paid for. We paid approximately £500 for the accommodation for a fortnights stay. I wonder what we could get in the UK for this price (if we could get anything). Rooms were basic but clean and well equipped. We would have more liked more sunbeds around the pool as we had to be up early to get one. Vilamoura is fabulous and i would recommend a visit.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

just arrived back from 2 week stay at rio apartments, although our apartment was basic it had everything you needed, it was clean and everything worked. Pool area was good, cleaned everyday and restaurant was great. We found all the staff to be friendly and helpful only downside was not having air con as was hot at night. Its a nice walk into the marina took us about 15mins but you can get taxis cheap if you don't want to walk. I was worried after reading some of the reviews but think some people want 5 star hotel for 3 star price we found it a great place for a relaxed and chilled out holiday and a great base to go exploring the beautiful surroundings and the weather was fab!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool get sun all afternoon not so hot if you face the gardens
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We spent two weeks here in September 2012. Our room was not ready when we arrived ( apparently ) so we got given a room with no Microwave, Toaster and ants all over the kitchen and also the drawers were falling apart, and the blinds didn't work. We asked for a Microwave and Toaster and they put them in the room 2 days later, we also complained about the ants and they sorted that problem when we went out. Beds were comfy, good shower etc just needs updated furniture and a better selection of T.V because the only chanel in English was telling you where to go in the Algarve ( and you get fed up of watching that ) 25 mins walk to the marina or beach or you can catch a taxi for approx £3-£5, nothing much around apart from the steak house which has good food but takes forever to serve you at the bar if you only want a drink. Pool very basic got cleaned every morning but come mid afternoon it was dirty again. Weather FANTASTIC

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Like others I was nervous arriving having read some of the reviews. I stayed there for 10 days at the end of July beginning of August. It was a last minute break and the price was amazing. If you pay £350 approx for accommodation and flights, then it is not going to be the Ritz.

It is a bit shabby YES
No Air Con YES
Dirty? NO- certainly not in my experience
Basic and comfortable - YES
Reasonably well equipped - YES

Reception manned on arrival - YES
Sometimes the reception is not manned - YES (but reasonable wait for attention)

Helpful staff - YES generally

The apartments are in a residential area and good 20- 25 minute walk from the Marina area. It can be a 'hot' walk.....However the taxis are reasonably plentiful and not expensive. Taxis booked from hotels etc double the price but usually around 4-5 Euros a journey. On market day there is a longer wait for taxis as they are all out of town.

The hotel has a restaurant attached which serves very good food - the sizzling steak definitely recommended. However the restaurant is closed all day Monday including pool bar food. So be prepared if that is your leaving day or you just fancy a day by the pool. At the bottom of the road there is a supermarket so you can be well stocked with provisions.

On leaving day you may have a late flight. Sometimes you can negotiate a late check out but you may be quoted a silly day rate for a room for the day - we managed with a late checkout and lounging by the pool till our transfer bus arrived. Reception looked after our big cases.

The pool was cleaned and the gardens manicured. Gardeners arrived to cut grass etc once a week. Generally, pool experience was good and we enjoyed watching people getting into the icy water as much as they must have laughed at us. You get used to it!!! LOL I enjoyed my swims.

Yes there is noise from late night swimmers - but that is the next door complex - not sure what could be done about that. Again - it was intermittent. Sometimes aggravating and sometimes ok.

Overall, I enjoyed it - it wasn't a 5 star hotel and maybe it is basic but it was a reasonable base for a really lovely holiday in one of my favourite destinations. I am really not sure what the bad reviewers were expecting but I think I have given a fair view of my experience. If you want a base that's comfortable and great value - give it a go.

Must do's: Dolphin Safari (Great fun) - marina restaurants (a good variety - walk far enough round to Akvavit!)

Disappointment: Casino - changed from first visit years ago - not worth it

So hope that helps!

Room Tip: Probably overlook front road for quiet
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank frozenps
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I'm lieing in my nice clean comfortable bed in the Hilton after spending a week at Rio, this is heaven in compered to Rio, but it's a lot more expensive! My point is you get what you pay for, it was basic and the rooms where very run down with no aircon and the hardest beds I have ever slept on. It was dirty and a very smelly! The cleaner came twice in a week and did nothing but bring fresh towels.

2  Thank Magicalclb
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The only thing going for Rio Apartments it's the location. Otherwise it would go bankrupt.
When we got there the floors were dirty and the toilet smelled like a sewage. Avoid room 201. I complained but nothing got done. We were told that our towels would be changed twice in one week but that never happened. The pool was dirty and I asked for someone to clean it but nothing was done.
There is a microwave in the kitchen but nowhere to plug it. When I mentioned this to the staff they told me to put the microwave on the floor wherever there was a socket.
You get what you pay for I suppose. It was cheap but it was also nasty.
I'm never going there again.
Ps. Restaurant food and staff were excellent.

1  Thank Benfeito