“Waste of time and money!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Algarve Seafaris

Algarve Seafaris
Ranked #12 of 14 Tours in Vilamoura
Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Waste of time and money!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

This was advertised as 'Big Game fishing' which we have done before and loved. Without advertising, informing or asking us it was actually Shark fishing, which is totally different.
Having travelled out to sea for 1 and a half hours, 8 rods were set up by the crew and each person was asked to pick a rod. We then sat for 2 and a half hours in the same place and only caught 1 fish, in the first 10 minutes. I realise this is the nature of fishing, but feel the crew should have tried something else or moved on, as nobody seemed happy with this.
The adverting said we would get a welcome drink, which we were not offered.
As the afternoon progressed the sea, which was already choppy, became more and more rough until the swell was higher than the side rails of the boat. the crew did nothing but laugh while the passengers clung on and fell all over the place. Most of the passengers who sat inside were sick and they couldn't move outside as there was limited space to hold on.
There had been no instruction as to safety procedues, prior to the trip and no one had been offered a life jacket or told where they were kept. One member of the crew was extremely rude and arrogant. He argued with a passenger who suggested the swell was dangerous. He laughed at the fact that she felt unsafe.
Having survived the ordeal and the hour and a half return journey, we, along with other passengers, complained to the office and manager. He asked if we had asked for life jackets and dismissed our concerns about the safety and value of the trip. The rude crew member argued with us again in the office and walked off. The manager said he would speak to the crew, but we would never know the outcome. Just be careful that you know what you are booking and are happy to pay 50 euro to potentially not even touch a rod!!

Visited July 2012
2 Thank magic_mum_10
AlgarveSeafaris, Gerente at Algarve Seafaris, responded to this review, February 17, 2015
Thank you for your opinion. We regret any disappointment you may have experienced.
The Big Game Fishing program includes the shark fishing and the trolling, that we do on the return to land. The trolling can only take place if the sea is ok for it.
Our company operates accordig to the weather indications from the Navy Police. However, sometimes, that information is not 100% accurate.
The staff on board is available to clarify any doubts and the safety equipment is properly marked.

• Polish first
Cadiz, Spain
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Horrible Fishing Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

1. "Big Game Fishing" is how it is advertised. However, they take you out a few miles and "they" put the dead fish on the hook, then "they" put the line in the water, and then "they" tell you not to touch to pole or line. So for 4 hours I slept, got a tan, and did zero fishing...didn't touch a pole.

2. I asked can we move to a new fishing spot. The answer was "no...this is how the fishing is done here". I find that interesting since absolutely no fish took a bite of our dead bait....not one, not for hours. The obvious answer is that moving the boat would take gas, and that would take out of the profit margin.

3. So instead I got to listen to the 1st Mate tell us his name is "David Shark" and show us his scar from a shark bite. I wanted to throw him in to see a real shark bite....but trust me, nothing would have bit where we were.

4. Catching fish is never a guarantee, but you have to try....you do so by moving fishing spots, and changing fishing targets. This place didn't even try. So avoid this fishing boat and let their business drift into oblivion just like my day did yesterday.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank KnaveTraveler
Thank you for your opinion. We're sorry for any bad moments you may have experienced.
Unfortunately, as you said, catching fish is never guaranteed, however the way we do it is always the same and also with the bait we used that day and normally it is a success, we regret that on that day wasn`t good, it happens as it is unpredictable.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Total disregard for customer welfare and safety”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

It's extremely difficult to summarise the terrible experience I had on this trip. To start with me and my girlfriend paid €100 to be "fishermen" for the day despite not touching a fishing a rod! Despite being 4-5 miles out at sea there was no health and safety briefing to state where life jackets were on the boat! The sea was extremely rough with 5-6 foot swells and despite a third of the passengers onboard being sick the so called captin laughed of suggestions of it being unsafe then went back to sleep. Was never so glad to be back on dry ground after this experience and once we logdged a complaint in the office me and my girlfriend were treated with the same level of ignorane from the office staff who completly dismissed our views!
This is just a taster of the total unprofessionalism excerised by this company. I would plead with anybody not to waste a day of their holiday and money with this trip!

5 Thank Danclaff

The cruise activity on Algarve is authorized on a daily base by the marine police. However some people are more sensitive to the sea motion. Sometimes, that information is not 100% accurate and turns out on a more rough sea trip.This situation also affects the most sensitive people to seasickness.
Regarding fishing activity, Unfortunately is not predictable. There are rare occasions where it is more difficult to catch or isn't possible to fish.

Throughout the ship is indicated the location of lifejackets. Any member of staff provides the equipment if required and needed.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Worst experience of my life AND I had to pay for it”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES use this company.my boyfriend and I paid 100 euros to go deep sea fishing and not once touched a rod.we stayed in the same place for 3 hours in horrifically bad weather.no one was offered a life jacket or even told where they were and to add insult to injury when I expressed my feelings of being uncomfortable to the captain he laughed at me and used the response "lady u know nothing of the ocean or boat" if this was a fair response I would have left it but my father is a fisherman and I have more than a wealth of experience about what is dangerous and what is not out at sea.the waves were he same level as the boat.when we complained ashore in addition to other unhappy customers we were once again laughed at and dismissed and no respect shown whatsoever.if you wish to waste your money for a 6hour trip and be mislead into thinking you're going fishing,by all means do.however in reality your beig robbed in broad daylight to have your safety put at risk,be totally disrespected and if you're not seasick youre paying to be in the company of at least ten people around you who are.

5 Thank Susanmcb2

Paris
“Great day with Algarve Seafaris!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

I have done three shark fishing trips on the Sant'Anna boat these past years, the last one this last week-end and it was always a great pleasure. The team is very nice and we caught sharks each time (blue and mako sharks). Unfortunately I was never lucky with the trolling (no fish caught), but it was early in the season (May) and trolling is better in summer while the water is warmer. Last year we were lucky and were surrounded with dolphins swimming around the boat (adults and babies), it was great.

However, I think it is necessary to warn people who are sea sick that fishing on a boat is not necessary a good idea...I'm always surprised to be on board with people really sick (even if the sea is not really bad), but if you are not, my advice is that you should try to make a fishing trip with Algarve Seafari, you won't regret it and have a lot of peaceful rest under the sun, in the middle of the sea, and the chance to fight some nice shark.

Visited May 2012