“High prices for low price food with abrupt staff”
Review of The Zanzibar Restaurante - CLOSED

The Zanzibar Restaurante
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Zanzibar is an Imposing, Grand looking building that offers you the promise of a great dining experience, and it does not disappoint. Whether you choose to eat casually on the ground floor or terrace or fine dine in the beautifully decorated 1st Floor A la Carte dining room, the food is first class. We use only the finest and freshest produce and cook every dish fresh from scratch. The staff are friendly and welcoming when you arrive and are attentive and efficient during your meal. Our only concern is that you have an enjoyable visit and come back often. Our greatest thrill is serving the numerous customers who dine with us again and again.
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We couldn't decide between a couple of restaurants on 19th September and unfortunately we must have picked the worst one! We got to the Zanzibar early in the evening and requested a table inside as we don't really like eating outside. The waitress told us very abruptly that we had to eat outside as the inside had been booked for a private party. Once seated and given the menu we were asked what we wanted to drink my husband asked for a lager and I asked for a glass of water. Before we knew it a very large glass of beer arrived - larger than a pint and the waitress was opening a large bottle of water and pouring it into both our glasses. Bread rolls were brought to the table together with a dish holding what looked as though it might have been tuna spread and a dish with small black olives, carrots and "herbs" obviously out of a jar and not fresh. We then hoped that the food was going to be worth it. My husband ordered chicken piri-piri with seasonal vegetables, what arrived was a small chicken wing and leg together with a dish of green vegetables which when tipped out onto the plate just looked like a pile of green slime, the vegetables were barely identifiable. I had ordered a prawn caesar salad, this must have had at least half a bottle of mayonnaise mixed in it, it was not what I had expected. We ate what we could and then asked for the bill - another shock 5 euro for the beer and almost 3 euro for the water and while waiting for the bill another waitress came and asked if we wanted to order dessert or coffee - poor communication between staff when we had already asked for the bill and they weren't busy. We were still hungry too certainly not an experience to be repeated. Everywhere else we had been the service was exemplary with good to excellent food and often cheaper!

1  Thank Carolynne M

Reviewed September 16, 2013

The old village needed another good restaurant which the Zanzibar provides. The MENUE is limited but all of the food is well cooked and presented. The service was excellent . A child friendly atmosphere outside,with more reserved atmosphere inside.

1  Thank Derek1943
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Since the Zanzibar opened about five years ago it has been my favourite restaurant on the Algarve, until this year. On the first evening of our holiday I attempted to book a table and was told very abruptly "no we're busy". I then asked if it would be possible to book a table for later, the waitress then put the palm of her hand in my face and shouted "NO". I then approached what appeared to be the man in charge who snarled and walked away before I had the chance to speak. Some friends who were unaware of our experience were successful in booking a table later that week. They booked two days in advance and specifically requested an outside table as it is unbearably hot inside. When they arrived for their meal they were shown to an inside table. They protested that they had booked an outside table. The waitress shouted at them "you WILL sit inside". Our friends left and went to another restaurant. It used to be such a great place to eat and did a fantastic Portuguese Steak but it appears the new owners specialise in rudeness. Basil Fawlty is alive and well and living in Portugal.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

after a hostile reception when attempting to eat here whilst on holiday we decided a few evenings later to give the place the benefit of the doubt and try again for a drink- the service we received was fine but the treatment of diners was shocking. My husband and I sat outside drinking for about 45mins and in this time witnessed: one potential group of customers being told to wait, another group who had booked walk out because of slow service and Rude waiting staff, a further group who had been told to sit anywhere got told rudely 2 seconds later they couldn't sit at their chosen table as it was reserved despite their being no reserved sign.

All I can say is I hope the food was fabulous to make it worth the rude staff and poor service we witnessed.

On a positive our veers were nice if a little overpriced!

1  Thank algarvehol
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Had to dine in-doors as the outside area was booked up.
Food was very nice.
Service bit slow, as the restaurant was busy.
Dined in-doors and I have never sweated so much while sitting down.