Thon Hotel Oslofjord
$226
$203
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstrain stationshopping mallfree parkinggreat breakfastwalking distanceeasy accessroom facingbreakfast buffetnice hotelbusiness triptypical scandinavian hotelrooms are greattraining roompotatoesfree coffeeoslo downtownlocated close
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I arrived at about 6pm after travelling from the UK. There was a big queue at reception with only one girl checking people in. I saw some rooms were facing into a big atrium which I have experienced before and found to be claustrophobic, so I asked for an outside facing room. I got to the room and found that it was on the same level as the flyover of the E18 motorway. Normally I would ask to change but there were at least 15 people behind me in the queue and I did not have the stamina to queue up all over again (why are the staff not multi-skilled so that 3 or 4 could have jumped onto the check-in desk and checked everyone in quickly???), and also I was eating out with customers who were picking me up at about 7pm, so was concerned about time. I hoped the noise would be OK once rush-hour had died down. I woke at 3am due to the noise and slept fitfully until at 5am, then there was no chance of sleep as the noise was constant. What I was most annoyed about was that the girl on reception should have just said "no problem sir, you can have an outside facing room, but they are very noisy as they are right next to the motorway" - to which I would have replied "OK, I'll take the atrium facing rooms". But she said nothing. Apart from that, the room is fine and the breakfast is very good. However, I would be extremely wary of booking this hotel again due to the risk of being put in a motorway facing room.

Room Tip: Demand a room as far away from the E18 motorway as possible (if you are planning to sleep).
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Lars P, Lars Pettersen, Rooms Division Manager at Thon Hotel Oslofjord, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear Sir,

If you want an outside quiet room please make the request when you make the reservation.
We are located next to the E-18 highway, so if you don't want room next to the highway or a room with atrium view we need a request before check-in.

We always have 2 or 3 receptionists on duty, and we will try harder to give a better check-in service.

We all hope to see you back in our hotel.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed for one night at this hotel for work and it was quite enjoyable.
Breakfast was great, the room was large and clean. Hairdryer was provided. Soap was like IBIS style, in a large dispenser.

A few minor details...

When checking in, they gave me the wrong room number and I had to come down again as the key didn't work.
There was some white noise coming from somewhere at night but I was so tired I fell asleep. I was given the room facing towards the dining area so some little noise came from there.

In general I was quite happy with my stay there.

Room Tip: Maybe can try getting the rooms that faces the other side, think it should be more quiet at night.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feed-back and photos.

You are very welcome back to our hotel!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We had 2 rooms in the hotel (for a family of 5) and generally it was very good. One of our rooms didn't have a kettle but the other one did.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
Cleaning behind and under the sofabed could have been better.
Breakfast was included in our room rate and there was a very good choice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Lars P, Lars Pettersen, Rooms Division Manager at Thon Hotel Oslofjord, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you for your review.

We will install kettles in all rooms in September.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

As others have said, the rooms are a little bit dated although I really didn't mind that. I think we have too high expectations that everything should be renovated every few years - what a waste of resources. Our room was pleasant with a nice view over towards the lake and it was very comfortable. It was also a good size, with room for a couch, table and desk, plenty of places to store luggage etc. I appreciated the free and fast wi-fi. The bathroom had a bath and not many amenities, in fact none. Luckily I'd brought some with me from my previous hotel! Only dispenser soap here.

The breakfast was excellent with lots of choice of hot and cold food, replenished regularly. We had dinner one night in the restaurant which wasn't spectacular and was very expensive. But that's Norway, everything is very expensive. The dining room is in an atrium and is light and airy though has no ground level windows.

We stayed at Sandvika for a sporting event taking place there, otherwise if I was visiting Olso as a tourist, I'd have stayed in the city itself. Oslo was readily accessible by train (about 15 mins) and the hotel's about a 15 minute walk to the station. Sandvika is a pleasant town by the water with a lot of newish apartments and the largest shopping centre in Oslo right next to the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review.

Our hotel is next to Norway’s largest shopping centre and a popular beach and car free park island.

We are environmental friendly hotel and have only two dispenser soaps (shampoo and hand wash) in the bathrooms.

Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

In general the hotel is quite sufficient, i mean, it is clean, good restaurant, good breakfast ... But, rooms not so large, bathroom too small and with old style... They should work in that . Location good, nera shopping centre.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for your feed-back!

All the rooms are over 22 m2 and have bath-rooms with a bath tub. We are renovating rooms this year.