“Superb!!!”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Netherlands
“Superb!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

This is a top quality restaurant in a great location. The food was outstanding showing great creativity and presentation. The staff and owners provided tremendous service in a perfect atmosphere. Will definitely return!!!

1 Thank Paul H

Zuidlaren, The Netherlands
“Weer heerlijk”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

Once again we had a wonderful dinner in this restaurant. We go there a couple of times a year, and almost always the food is excellent and creative. Wines are well chosen, sometimes perhaps a bit ' on the safe side', but most people will like that. Service is very friendly, an informal.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank FoppevM
Europe
“Special dietary requirements met with perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

My husband can eat everything but I don't eat meat or wheat.

Some restaurants deal with my dietary requirements by taking away flavour, texture and creativity, then I am usually left with a bland piece of fish and some greens on the side.

However, last night's dinner at De Vlindertuin was magnificent. My meal was prepared with the same care to flavours and combinations as all their meals. My tastebuds were immediately tantalised by the aperitifs that were so fresh and the ingredients were carefully selected so that the combinations were delightful. The main course I chose was a selection of shell fish that was accompanied with a light ginger mayonnaise that suited the scallops and lobster very well. I even got my own bread without wheat!

The service was both friendly and efficient. Having just returned from a 5 star resort in the Cote d'Azur, I can say that the staff at De Vlindertuin are 5 star, they match and even outdo the service we received in France. For example, my husband was having trouble reading the menu and a young lady quickly responded by bringing him a pair of reading glasses.

The atmosphere lends itself to a fine dining experience whilst not being stuffy.

Having lived in the area for 3 years now, we are happy that we finally decided to try De Vlindertuin and we can't wait to dine there again. Dank u wel.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank ScanDesign
R'lyeh
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

De Vlindertuin is situated in a beautiful old Saxon farmhouse in the village of Zuidlaren, in the province of Drenthe, just south of Groningen, in the northern half of The Netherlands.

I took the family here for a nice dinner. And we were not disappointed.
The slightly formal, yet friendly and approachable staff seated us at a nice table in very comfy chairs. So many restaurants have uncomfortable furniture. But not here. Very refreshing.

All opted for the Alliance Gastronomique menu. This set menu changes every season, and in its basic form is four courses (57,50 euro), but additional courses can be added upto seven (87,50 euro). A la carte dining is also possible.

We all went for six courses; skate wing, cod, zander, veal cheek and sweetbreads, steak, and a desert combo. I will not go into too much detail, but all dishes were very, very good. With the skate, the curried 'gougeres' that acompanied the zander, the Livar ham amuse, and the almond icecream on the desert combo standing out in particular.
The wine suggestestions from the sommelier for each dish were spot on.
We finished with coffee complet; more sweet chocolaty delights.

It was near midnight when we left, chatting at the door to the chef and his wife (the hostess) for almost 30 minutes.

If you are looking for fine dining in the north of The Netherlands, in a slightly formal, yet sufficiently casual setting, look no further than De Vlindertuin. I might see you there, as I will be back!

• Visited September 2011