Cityhotel Stadskanaal
De Hiddinghhoeve(Stadskanaal)
TripAdvisor
B&B Creatieve Chaos(Stadskanaal)
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I had the privilege to spend 8 days at this premises. The price were suspiciously low (considering it included half board), however to be the one and only option of accommodation in Stadskanaal I am rather satisfied. The hotel is located at the town's main square and are close to the bus station (To actually get to Stadskanaal from Amsterdam is a adventure in itself but this is not the right forum for that story :)). Given that I spent such a long time at this hotel and considering that I don't eat meat the hotel had quite a limited option ingredients to work with. However, they did the best they could and I really appreciate their efforts (8 days of mustard soup with different additives). If you want to exercise there is a fully equipped gym a 5 min walk from the hotel which will let you in for €5. The rooms are very average, their most positive feature is the big bathtub, and negative the 14inch old box of a TV.

The hotel is probably the tallest building in Stadskanaal with its 9 floors and most rooms features a balcony with a rather low fence. Given this and the brick square next to it I guess this is a rather great option if one would be suicidal. If you consider yourself belonging to this category, book the half board option and you will be so eager to see what the staff will be able to cook with their extremely limited amount of ingredients that you most likely won't go through with it.

Bon apetit!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Being used to North American Best Western hotels, we decided to book this hotel when we had to make a trip to Stadskanaal. This hotel was one BIG disappointment. Weird entrance, not so clean hallways, small room ( and a little smelly ) and I can't remember the last time I had seen a tube TV.
When we asked for a second key ( which we didn't think was weird to ask for ), they gave us a hard time but finally dug one out of a little basket full of keys.
Oh, and did I mention the cook checked us in?
Anyhow, once but never again!

Room Tip: Rooms in another hotel will be better !
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2012

A nine storey building with a great location in the centre of a quiet town, this hotel is close to plenty of restaurants and shops. If, however, you decide not to go out to any of these restaurants, then the in house restaurant is pretty good.
The stand-out feature of this hotel is the staff, who are friendly, accommodating, and really know how to make you feel at home.

I stayed here for 3 weeks whilst working nearby and I would stay here again in the future if I was back in the area, which really says it all.

Room Tip: High floors have a great view of the town, but the elevator is possibly the slowest I have ever experienced and is pretty infuriating if you have to wait for it to come down and then go back up again. I took the stairs most of the time (to the 8th floor). I suppose it made up for having no gym :-)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Got a lovely welcome, found all staff friendly. Happy enough with the room(s), two short stays.
Breakfast okay but nothing special. Standard of other food, dinner etc. much better, quite popular with the locals. Stadskannal not touristy but is a nice place to stay if travelling through Holland but hotel is essentially for business. Agree with yorkiebar...slowest lift ever. That would be the only negative. Good value, decent rooms, all round pleasant hotel.

Room Tip: Low floor because of lift.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We used this hotel as it was at a convenient point on our journey. It was quite nice. Staff were pleasant and helpful. The room was comfortable. However it was quite difficult to find and it took a couple of attempts to finally reach the (ample) parking adjacent to the hotel. (Some roads closed) Evening meal was expensive so we went elsewhere (Pizzeria Vittoria) Breakfast was satisfactory but limited on the jam front - only plum jam! Don't miss Bourtange fortified village which is close by.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple